Radar endorsement vs. certificate

My license will expire in September and I will need to renew my radar endorsement also. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to taking my radar renewal now verses just before I turn in my license renewal application?

Does a certificate need to be turned in to the Coast Guard within a certain amount of time to be applied for my endorsement?

Thanks, Sheri

I renewed in Feb. and my radar was due in April. They just told me to bring in a copy of my endorsement after I got my radar renewed so they could put it in my file. So for me it worked when I was 2mo away is what I am trying to say. Hope this helps.

The endorsement is valid for 5 years from the date of training, and you can let your observer lapse and still renew, so if you do not need to keep your endorsement current to work with it, you would get more time by waiting. But if you are working and need the endorsement, keep it current by taking the course now.

I saw some conversation from a couple years ago where you mentioned that expiration dates would not be placed on licenses. Can I just always show a current certificate when asked or do I need to present it to a REC and have my endorsement brought up to date?

[QUOTE=Sheri;51808]I saw some conversation from a couple years ago where you mentioned that expiration dates would not be placed on licenses. Can I just always show a current certificate when asked or do I need to present it to a REC and have my endorsement brought up to date?[/QUOTE]

An expiration date of the radar endorsement is no longer shown on the license. You just need to show a current certificate. At least that is what I was told from NMC.