Quick question on carrying original certificates for licensing

So I was entering someone’s information into our ships document control today and asked if they had their certificates from certain classes because the program asks for them. He replied that he wasn’t required to carry them which didn’t really help the case with the office needing the information.

My question is, are we required to carry all of our original documents with us when we are onboard? I always have as I was told that I was required to do so. I see where it can be useful but I also see where it could cause issues if they are lost or mishandled during travel or whatnot.

I did a search on here and found a thread but it didn’t really answer yay or nay, just guys saying if they did or didn’t. I didn’t find it in the cfr but that wouldn’t be the first time I’ve missed something in there. I’m thinking it may just be a company thing or possibly something that has just trickled down captain to captain as a good idea and recommended. Hints on where to find this information will be greatly appreciated.

If it makes any difference, we are on a SOLAS OSV.

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=blaineatk;165967]So I was entering someone’s information into our ships document control today and asked if they had their certificates from certain classes because the program asks for them. He replied that he wasn’t required to carry them which didn’t really help the case with the office needing the information.

My question is, are we required to carry all of our original documents with us when we are onboard? I always have as I was told that I was required to do so. I see where it can be useful but I also see where it could cause issues if they are lost or mishandled during travel or whatnot.

I did a search on here and found a thread but it didn’t really answer yay or nay, just guys saying if they did or didn’t. I didn’t find it in the cfr but that wouldn’t be the first time I’ve missed something in there. I’m thinking it may just be a company thing or possibly something that has just trickled down captain to captain as a good idea and recommended. Hints on where to find this information will be greatly appreciated.

If it makes any difference, we are on a SOLAS OSV.

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Yes, in case of inspection you need to have the original certificates at hand.

I have all my documents in a handy briefcase I received from my officers union. And a copy of all the documents on a usb stick for easy transfer.

And copies of all the documents on the computer at home. Better safe than sorry.

That’s how I feel as well. I carry everything but want sure if it was actually required or just a good idea.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=blaineatk;165967]So I was entering someone’s information into our ships document control… [/QUOTE]

What do you use for document control? We just use excel, but I’ve been searching for something that might be more comprehensive and polished. It would be even better if it was shared between the office and vessel, so that I could communicate better with them regarding the status and training of various crew, ship’s documents, etc.

I’ve found “fleet management” software online, but never actually used it, and it seems more targeted to dispatching and cargo management rather than crew/documentation organization. We’re a small company so we don’t really need those other features.

If anyone has any recommendations I’d be interested. Maybe this is a question for its own thread…

Thanks

In the United States you are NOT required to carry any training certificates with you.

You are required to carry originals of your MMC and possibly your FCC license. (I’m not sure about the status of a DP certificate.)

You are required to be able to provide proof within 48 hours of your radar renewal, no mention of original being required.

No training certificates are required to be carried at all.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kraken;165969]Yes, in case of inspection you need to have the original certificates at hand.[/QUOTE]

Not in this country you don’t. Your MMC is all the proof of training you need, except for radar.

[QUOTE=mariner244;165989]What do you use for document control? We just use excel, but I’ve been searching for something that might be more comprehensive and polished. It would be even better if it was shared between the office and vessel, so that I could communicate better with them regarding the status and training of various crew, ship’s documents, etc.

I’ve found “fleet management” software online, but never actually used it, and it seems more targeted to dispatching and cargo management rather than crew/documentation organization. We’re a small company so we don’t really need those other features.

If anyone has any recommendations I’d be interested. Maybe this is a question for its own thread…

Thanks[/QUOTE]
http://www.onsoft.no i don’t know the cost of this system, but it’s what we use in my company.

While the US may have determined differently due to their MMC requirements Internationally including Canada Port-State Controls are conducting inspections of the physical certificate. Brazil is another country where Port-State Inspectors have been sticklers for Original Certificates. Even with in the US our ships have been asked by USGC inspectors for Originals.

The issue is a little more complex than just Yes or No. It is better to be safe than sorry.

[QUOTE=Kraken;165999]http://www.onsoft.no i don’t know the cost of this system, but it’s what we use in my company.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

[QUOTE=mariner244;165989]What do you use for document control? We just use excel, but I’ve been searching for something that might be more comprehensive and polished. It would be even better if it was shared between the office and vessel, so that I could communicate better with them regarding the status and training of various crew, ship’s documents, etc.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

We use our MS system. It isn’t fully integrated with the office but it’s a program on the computer that had all of our daily logs, sign in sheets, embarkation logs,vgp forms, jsea paperwork, etc. Then each crew change we put a chippy on a jump drive and send it to the office. It’s not too bad once you have it figured out but it’s got a few bugs for sure.

[QUOTE=Kraken;165969]Yes, in case of inspection you need to have the original certificates at hand.

I have all my documents in a handy briefcase I received from my officers union. And a copy of all the documents on a usb stick for easy transfer.

And copies of all the documents on the computer at home. Better safe than sorry.[/QUOTE]

Try using www.dropbox.com I keep scans of all my certs, annual physical, mmd and my recency log in there. I can pull copies from any pc or on my phone. I’ve used it in a couple of audits with no issues.

The only two I worry about in the tug and barge world is my MMC, and most recent physical. If anything else is that big of a deal, I’ll get it when someone needs it digitally or however else in 48 hours or whatever the Cg specifies. Nothing they can’t confirm with a phonecall. Jeaux Boss will handle the situation in that case, as that means their boat being delayed over someone being a prick.

[QUOTE=z-drive;166037]The only two I worry about in the tug and barge world is my MMC, and most recent physical. If anything else is that big of a deal, I’ll get it when someone needs it digitally or however else in 48 hours or whatever the Cg specifies. Nothing they can’t confirm with a phonecall. Jeaux Boss will handle the situation in that case, as that means their boat being delayed over someone being a prick.[/QUOTE]

Why carry the last physical form? We are required to carry the USCG Medical Certificate card, but that’s it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;166041]Why carry the last physical form? We are required to carry the USCG Medical Certificate card, but that’s it.[/QUOTE]

[B]§15.812 Pilots: [/B]says i need a physical every year, but only need to submit it to the USCG every other year. How else to prove it unless you have the form, or other form meeting the requirements? I am sure its rarely an issue, but won’t take that chance with an oil barge. Also its pretty standard company policy around here to make sure you have that current physical with you. There’s an NVIC that says you don’t necessarily have to have it onboard like Radar as long as you can show it in reasonable time but i don’t know if that NVIC has been superseded by anything.
https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1994/n8-94.pdf page 4