Question about training certificates

Does anyone know how long training certificates such as for GMDSS, ARPA, ECDIS etc remain valid? How long do you have before they become invalid and cannot be added to your MMC?

Regarding adding them to your MMC-you have one year from the date printed on your certificate to turn it in with your application for endorsement.

Once you have them, GMDSS is good for life. ARPA and ECDIS are as well, but I’ve heard one day it could become a five year renewal. Similar to radar recertification.

Regarding adding them to your MMC-you have one year from the date printed on your certificate to turn it in with your application for endorsement.

Once you have them, GMDSS is good for life. ARPA and ECDIS are as well, but I’ve heard one day it could become a five year renewal. Similar to radar recertification.

Which begs the question: if the certificates are good for life, why are they only good for one year for submittal?

Why does a sailor with 40 years at sea need recency on the license to renew the license? because there has to be limits somewhere…

Just the joy of sending applications to the NMC I reckon’.

Also why does he need a Teamworking and Management class? I think he has a grasp on it by now.

[QUOTE=captaint76;159847]Also why does he need a Teamworking and Management class? I think he has a grasp on it by now.[/QUOTE]

I agree on one hand, but on the other there are so many asshole micromanager’s and poor leaders out there. With that said, how likely will they be to change their ways? Very unlikely.

[QUOTE=z-drive;159848]I agree on one hand, but on the other there are so many asshole micromanager’s and poor leaders out there. With that said, how likely will they be to change their ways? Very unlikely.[/QUOTE]

The hard core cases won’t change unless they have to, for example if the office tells the captain that they have to stop firing the entire crew or if they get fired themselves.

The real benefits of the classes are when the seeds fall on fertile soil. Once people that have leaned a few tricks that make them more effective managers, able to head off crew problems rather then create them, they can pass those lessons learned to subordinates.

A lot of this stuff seems obvious once you’ve learned it but better to learn in a few days rather than years.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;159876]The hard core cases won’t change unless they have to, for example if the office tells the captain that they have to stop firing the entire crew or if they get fired themselves.

The real benefits of the classes are when the seeds fall on fertile soil. Once people that have leaned a few tricks that make them more effective managers, able to head off crew problems rather then create them, they can pass thoses lessons learned to subordinates.

A lot of this stuff seems obvious once you’ve learned it but better to learn in a few days rather than years.[/QUOTE]

And, as with all the classes and required training, you get out of it what you put into it. Go in with a bad attitude and close mind and you will gain nothing. If you think you know it all, and the class is a 100% waste of time, then you are probably the poster child for why the class was created in the first place… I myself look at these classes with a cynical perspective because of the history of certificate mills and generating a profit at the expense of a captive audience, but ultimately my goal is to find something of value in each one. If I must take the class, I try to find the one that works for me and provides the best opportunity to gain something from it. Classes such as the management and leadership, if so valuable and effective, should be provided as part of your employers program to build a valued and effective group of employees and …, sorry, cracked myself up there. Hard to keep a straight face when you type that out loud. Anyway, if your company isn’t paying for the class or otherwise promoting the benefits then they probably don’t see the value in the message and that just re-enforces the poster child officers to continue the same 'ol, same 'ol. But change takes time…

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;159883]And, as with all the classes and required training, you get out of it what you put into it. Go in with a bad attitude and close mind and you will gain nothing. If you think you know it all, and the class is a 100% waste of time, then you are probably the poster child for why the class was created in the first place… I myself look at these classes with a cynical perspective because of the history of certificate mills and generating a profit at the expense of a captive audience, but ultimately my goal is to find something of value in each one. If I must take the class, I try to find the one that works for me and provides the best opportunity to gain something from it. Classes such as the management and leadership, if so valuable and effective, should be provided as part of your employers program to build a valued and effective group of employees and …, sorry, cracked myself up there. Hard to keep a straight face when you type that out loud. Anyway, if your company isn’t paying for the class or otherwise promoting the benefits then they probably don’t see the value in the message and that just re-enforces the poster child officers to continue the same 'ol, same 'ol. But change takes time…[/QUOTE]

I didn’t learn all that much in the class. The main lesson is that managing people is something you can learn to do, it’s intuitive for some, others not so much. Learned mostly from books and by observation.

[QUOTE=boatboy;159781]Does anyone know how long training certificates such as for GMDSS, ARPA, ECDIS etc remain valid? How long do you have before they become invalid and cannot be added to your MMC?[/QUOTE]

See Paragraph 5.a.2 on page 2 of NVIC 3-14:

The validity period during which an applicant may use a course completion to meet
credentialing requirements is as follows:

i) Any time limit prescribed by regulation, e.g. five years for the “Tankship:
Dangerous Liquids” course specified in 46 CFR 13.201©(4); and

ii) One year for courses that substitute for an examination given by the Coast Guard;
and

iii) Five years for all other courses.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;159830]…I’ve heard one day it [ARPA and ECDIS ] could become a five year renewal. Similar to radar recertification.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t heard.,.

[QUOTE=captaint76;159847]Also why does he need a Teamworking and Management class? I think he has a grasp on it by now.[/QUOTE]

By that reasoning, all Captains and Chief Engineers are good managers and no one has ever sailed with one who isn’t…

Also, the course is more than the name implies. Look at the “knowledge, understandfing, and proficiency” (KUPs) associated with this competyence in Tables II/2 and III/2 of the STCW Code, it includes [I]Knowledge of international maritime convebntions and recommendations, and national legislation[/I]. This is what was covered in the “Maritime Law” course that was specified in the cancelled NMC Policy Letter 4-02 for STCW endorsements as Chief Mate and Master.