Certs expiration?

I completed my BST back in June of 2007. I asked at the time and was told I did not need to submit it to the CG, so I never did. I never got a STCW-95 paper, as my job only required a MMD. Now I am being told that the certificates expire after one year if they are not submitted. I recently finished my RFPNW and I take a VSO class next week. Will I still be able to submit my BST at that time? Will I even be able to submit my RFPNW or VSO without first also having my BST if it is not accepted? Tell me I’m not screwed please…

I know the Radar Observer and AB/Lifeboat certificates expire in a year unless submitted to the NMC, so I suspect the BST does as well. But I’m not certain. I’m sure somebody will come on with an answer… Chief Cavo maybe?

Are you licensed? Not much reason to take VSO unless you are…

I’m getting VSO done for free, and actually getting paid to do it, so why not lol Hopefully, someday I’ll need it. I only need like 100 more days for my Unlimited 3rds, if I choose that path.

I contacted the NMC also, but it’s so rare to get a straight answer from them. I’d hate to have to take it again just because I called the REC in Miami and was dumb enough to believe anything they said.

Could anyone find where it says the AB or RO certs expire after a year also? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

Actually already got my response from NMC and I’m out of luck. Oh well…

And so my great quest continues. According to NMC-4 Policy Letter 5-99 the certs are good for 5 years. And that points to 46CFR 12.5-3 which the most up to date CFRs clearly state it as being valid for 5 years. I guess I go ahead and submit them and hope for the best. Perhaps further evidence that the NMC doesn’t truly know what they are doing? Not that more evidence of that is needed…

I feel better.

BST’s are good for five years. We had cases at the NMC where someone renewed with the 360 but had no time on STCW waters (Great Lakes, rivers) and we would renew the STCW if the certs were less than five years old. Of course the way they keep changing things up there that may not be the case anymore.

What about ARPA and BRM?

I thought ARPA and bridge resouce mgt. were good for life. Once you take them that’s it. It might be different if you are out of the industry for some years and have to re-instate your license because you went past the grace period and didn’t put it in continuity. Oops, did I say license? I meant officer endorsement.

Thanks . . .

Generally a one-time course, however some state pilotage commissions require their pilots to re-take both at certain intervals.