Lose STCW Lose Lifeboatman?

I have a deckhand who claims he received a letter from the NMC saying that he was losing his STCW this renewal (because he has been on harbor boats) and is thus losing his lifeboatman as well. I did not get a chance to see the letter myself but that does not sound right to me.
Has anyone heard of this or is it a misunderstanding on his part?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;54932]I have a deckhand who claims he received a letter from the NMC saying that he was losing his STCW this renewal (because he has been on harbor boats) and is thus losing his lifeboatman as well. I did not get a chance to see the letter myself but that does not sound right to me.
Has anyone heard of this or is it a misunderstanding on his part?[/QUOTE]

The STCW can lapse if he is not current on basic safety training. The life boatman cannot. Unless it’s been expired for more than a year, the worst case would be that if he has does not have any sea time, he would need to take an at-home, open-book renewal “exercise.”

Thanks. That’s what I thought. He is romanian, so english is not his first language, and he may have misunderstood the letter. I will try see it next time I can.

Does that mean a basic safety certificate has an expiration?

If you are on inland boats you must renew your BST every 5 years from what I understand they just changed that reg.

I just had my Lifeboatman expire because I didn’t have an “AB” to attach it to. Just took the class 20 months ago, taking it again monday. Thats all I need for my letter-to-test for 500ton master. Don’t seem fair, but momma always said life wasn’t fair.

[QUOTE=Ianmmd;58570]If you are on inland boats you must renew your BST every 5 years from what I understand they just changed that reg.[/QUOTE]

I assume you are talking about the current policy that you do not need to renew/repeat BST if you have one year in the past five on near coastal or oceans vessels.

While the Coast Guard has PROPOSED to except inland service towards STCW, we have also PROPOSED to implement the STCW 2010 revision that requires certain parts of BST (also proficiency in survival craft, fast rescue boat, and advanced fire fighting) be renewed only with training ashore every five years. If this PROPOSAL were adopted, everyone would have to take courses to renew BST regardless of how much sea time they have, and what routes the time was on.

Thanks, Mr. Cavo.

Just to clarify. I have BST certificates from Oct. 2005. I’ve worked consistently since then both on inland and near coastal vessels (inspected aux sailing vessels over 100 ft which regularly conduct drills) and can provide sea service documentation of over a year, which I have in fact done in order to obtain my 100 Master Inland/200 Mate NC last June. Currently hold Z-card (obtained Dec 2006) which was added to my MMC (OS rating), which expires May 2014. Looking to do AB (Special)/Lifeboatman class in just a few weeks.

Do I still need to renew BST, and if so, by when?

Also, during all this time, I’ve only had the certificates. I sent them to USCG back in 2006 to obtain Z-card, but no STCW-type of ‘endorsement’ was listed on my Z-card nor is there anything that mentions STCW on my current MMC. Wondering where I stand…

Thanks for your insights and counsel!

Im in the same boat. The CG sent me a letter saying I need to show 365 days of offshore time in the last 5 years to renew my STCW, this must be a new reg in the last 5 years because I renewed it with the rest of my stuff 5 years ago. So im going to have to dig through my seatime once again or take a $750 refresher class that I dont think my company will pay for. Why must be CG be such a PITA??

You can count time on your personal boat as well if you fish offshore. I did.

I had plenty of time off the tugs, it didnt seem like it though. I sold my boat so I cant use that excuse anymore.

Ahem…

remember all those canyon trips with me…

Oh ya I forgot its all good she’s gonna write me a new letter specifying all the CG wants.