3d mate classes expiration time

Can you tell me the expiration date for several of the 3rd mate any gross tonnage license classes
these come from policy letter 01-02

the classes I need to know are

coastal navigation
terrestrial navigation
ecdis
magnetic compass
meteorology
cargo
stability
ship-handling
search and rescue
emergency procedures
watch-keeping

i have been told by 2 schools that these certificates are good for 5 years PRIOR to submitting them to the USCG
the USCg said that they are only good for 1 year

does anybody know

I have heard several versions. The last version and the one I like the best is that the certificates for the classes do not expire but the schools are not requiered to keep copies for more than 5 years. I have also heard 1 year and 5 years. All this would not apply to stuff that requires renewals such as radar and a few others that I can not name at this very moment.

I know that the some of the courses required for an AB ticket do expire after one year, however, I doubt very likely that the mate courses would expire in one year because it would be near impossible to obtain all in a year and make a living and have sometype of life. I do know one person that is going after his mates license and he has certificates dating back more that 5 years and he claims there is no experation.

I will be interested in other replies as I have started taking classes but it will be at least 2 years before I apply.

[I][quote=Mr 100-ton;17402]Can you tell me the expiration date for several of the 3rd mate any gross tonnage license classes these come from policy letter 01-02[list omitted for brevity] …i have been told by 2 schools that these certificates are good for 5 years PRIOR to submitting them to the USCG. the USCg said that they are only good for 1 year. does anybody know[/quote][/I]

How long a given course is valid for varies. Generally, the ones that are only good for a year specifically say so in the course approval.

Any course that takes the place of a going to an REC and taking a Coast Guard exam is good for one year, and some others are limited to one year by regulation. For example, the requirement to take first aid & cpr for your first license is limited to one year by 46 CFR 11.205(e)(1) (note that if you take it for STCW basic safety training it’s good for five years). The courses that are good for one year by policy and not by the CFR usually say so in the course approval.

Other courses are good for five years. This is any course that gives you credit for sea service, and also some other courses are limited in the CFR to five years, for example a Tankerman-PIC course, and radar observer (46 CFR 13.209; 46 CFR 11.480(f)).

Most other courses have no time limit. All of the OICNW courses you list (Policy Letter 1-02) do not have a time limit, nor do the Chief Mate/Master courses in Policy Letter 4-02.