OICNW certificate expiration dates?

Do the certificates for OICNW expire? I have been attending class for the last year and have another year to go to complete all the requirements for 3rd Mate.

I understand the RADAR & ARPA, as well as the first aid/CPR, have time limitations but I have heard more than one reference in the last few weeks that has implied that certificates must be presented within one year of attending the class. I am starting to sweat a bit over this one as I can’t afford the time or the cost of retaking the, as fun as they are, classes.

I sent an inquiry to the ASKNMC folks but would like to hear from this forum while I wait.

Flashing light is only good for one year also. It took me a little over two years to complete all my Chief Mate STCW required courses. It is almost impossible to complete all the courses within a year unless you just go to school full time or work a 120 on and 120 off rotation. Those OICNW classes do not expire to my knowledge, nor have I heard of anyone having problems with the NMC accepting the certs.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;42283]Do the certificates for OICNW expire? I have been attending class for the last year and have another year to go to complete all the requirements for 3rd Mate.

I understand the RADAR & ARPA, as well as the first aid/CPR, have time limitations but I have heard more than one reference in the last few weeks that has implied that certificates must be presented within one year of attending the class. I am starting to sweat a bit over this one as I can’t afford the time or the cost of retaking the, as fun as they are, classes.

I sent an inquiry to the ASKNMC folks but would like to hear from this forum while I wait.[/QUOTE]

You should review the approval letters from each course you take, but generally no. The exceptions are certificates “in lieu” of a Coast Guard test (which are one year), STCW classes that can be taken separately under the same course approval (like ECDIS & Navigation - courses must be taken within a year of each other to meet the Advanced Navigation requirement for C/M for instance), and Flashing Light (one year). First Aid and CPR are for original issues only. ARPA never expires, but if the course is also approved for a radar renewal, you must present that within a year, but it’s still good for ARPA otherwise. At the end of the day, if NMC is flexible with anything, this would be it.

Ahhhh, my two favorite contributers. Sniff, sniff, excuse me if I get a little choked up. Thanks for the input, that’s what I had researched but you hear at least 3 versions of every scenario out there. I’m gonna hurry every chance I get anyway. When I get my license hopefully I will run into yous guys so I can thank you in person.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;42301]Ahhhh, my two favorite contributers. Sniff, sniff, excuse me if I get a little choked up. Thanks for the input, that’s what I had researched but you hear at least 3 versions of every scenario out there. I’m gonna hurry every chance I get anyway. When I get my license hopefully I will run into yous guys so I can thank you in person.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you get a good chastity belt before you plan on meeting Lee.

[QUOTE=anchorman;42299]. ARPA never expires, but if the course is also approved for a radar renewal, you must present that within a year, but it’s still good for ARPA otherwise. [/QUOTE]
Now that Radar is no longer on your license the certificate is good for 5 years, but you have to carry it with you. The certificate is ALL you have.

I checked my MMC before replying just to be sure. Your [B][I]Radar endorsement is on your MMC[/I][/B], the [B][I]expiration date[/I][/B] is not. You would need to show proof of having a valid endorsement on demand (probably given a certain amount of time). Not that it’s all so heavy, but carrying the cert wouldn’t hurt.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;42311]Now that Radar is no longer on your license the certificate is good for 5 years, but you have to carry it with you. The certificate is ALL you have.[/QUOTE]

It is not on mine. When I queried it I was told that I should carry the certificate. I guess it’s another NMC anomaly. But now you mentioned it maybe I should be concerned. And of course I did send the cert with my renewal, they just didn’t put it on.

[QUOTE=anchorman;42305]Just make sure you get a good chastity belt before you plan on meeting Lee.[/QUOTE]

I can run faster scared than Lee can with a … well, let’s just say I know I can run faster than Lee.

Courses that substitute for taking a Coast Guard exam are good for one year (flashing light is among them).

Some courses have time limits per regulations, including: Radar, tankerman - five years. Basic and advanced fire fighting have to be taken within five years of appying for your first license for 500 GRT or more; first aid & CPR have to ber taken within one year of applying for your first license.

OICNW courses (Meteorology, ship handling, cargo, terrestrial navigation, etc.) have no time limit.

If a course has approvals for more than one of the above, the time limit applies only to that part of the approval, for example, the lifeboatman exam portion of a proficiency in survival craft course is only good for one year, the rest has no time limit.

If you’e going for OICNW, I would take flashing light, proficiency in survival craft, fire fighting and first aid & CPR last. Also, to get the most of the 5 yerars they are good for, I’d consider taking radar and BST towards the end, unless you have already taken BST and will have the one year in five needed for renewal.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;42323]I can run faster scared than Lee can with a … well, let’s just say I know I can run faster than Lee.[/QUOTE]

You would probably back up on it.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;42329]
Basic and advanced fire fighting have to be taken within one year of appying for your first license for 500 GRT or more; first aid & CPR have to ber taken within one year of applying for your first license.

[/QUOTE]

JD, you said 500 GRT or more, is this regardless of scope?

My AFF, expires in Dec 2010, I won’t be able to submit for 3rd unlim until April 2011 at the earliest…

Would it be plausible for me to apply for 500 / 1600 Ton Mate " Inland " right now?..AFF is required for that license too…My thinking is that by taking one day out of my life to test for the inland license, plus the testing fee , versus 3 or 4 days of re- doing a class that I have already taken plus all the costs that you incur by doing so? Easily 800.00 - 1000.00 …Does this make sense?

The full list of licenses that need fire fighting is in 46 CFR 11.205(d):

(d) [I]Firefighting certificate. [/I]Applicants for officer endorsements in the following categories must present a certificate of completion from a firefighting course of instruction which has been approved by the Commandant. The course must meet both the basic and advanced sections of the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Resolution A.437 (XI) [I]Training of Crews in Firefighting. [/I](Available from the [I]International Maritime Organization (IMO), [/I]4 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7SR, England, telephone: + 44 (0)20 7735 7611, [I]http://www.imo.org [/I]). The course must have been completed within five years before the date of application for the officer endorsement requested.
(1) Officer endorsement as master on vessels of 200 GRT or less in ocean service.
(2) Officer endorsements as master or mate on vessels of more than 200 GRT.
(3) All officer endorsements for master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, except apprentice mate (steersman) of the vessels, on oceans.
(4) All officer endorsements for MODUs.
(5) All officer endorsements for engineers.

Note that it is good for FIVE years (I corrected my error in the above post where I said one year).

I don’t think there is a partial “increase in scope” exam for inland to oceans, so if you took inland now and went for oceans later, you’d take the full exam.

Once again, thanks you Mr. cavo

Mr. Cavo, while we have you on this thread, what tonnage does the vessel have to be for the assessments for the 3rd mate license, according to policy letter 01-02 page 10 section 5 no tonnage is listed,

NMC says
There is not a specific tonnage requirement for the size of the vessel; however the vessel must be fitted out with the equipment pertaining to the assessments.

that part makes no since, any insite