QMED vs Deck

Since a majority of the posts here relate to GOM work and crew boats, my question is, Do QMED/Oilers have the same level of difficulty breaking into a new company that the Master/Mate/AB do? <br><br>Is this an industry wide issue, or related to GOM work?. I’ve noticed a shortage of US flagged container ship types here, although I’m sure many hold an unlimited ticket. <br><br>Kind of curious as to which avenue to take. I’ve been told I have enough time to sit for a 3rd A/E unlimited, but am concerned about being “overlicensed” for stateside work.<br><br>Thoughts???

Experienced Engineers are at a premium.<br><br>I don’t think it’s possible to be “overlicensed”, at least not in NY, Seattle or Alaska, don’t know about GOM.<br><br>If you can get 3AE be sure to get Chief Engineer Limited Oceans, Get DDE if you only qualify for C/E Limited Near Coastal, some vessels that’s actually better.<br><br>Don’t limit yourself, this is a big industry. Ships, Tugs, Fishing, Yachts, Research Vessels and Ferry’s are all looking for EXPERIENCED people.<br><br>Good luck.

If you are considering the advice above on getting a limited engine license along with 3rd AE, do it sooner instead of later. Right now, we have not yet put out policy on STCW training and assessment for limited engineering licenses. That will likely change in the forseeable (but indefinite) future. Acting now avoids any training requirement that might be implemented in the future.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division (NMC-2)<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]<font color=#3354aa>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font></A>

Does anyone know if getting your QMED endorsement in adition to your 3/m license gives you an advantage when you’re trying to get a job? I’m doing a minor which will give me a QMED rating. I believe that in adition to the QMED I can sit for my Pumpman, reefer, and other engineering ratings.

Pumpman, etc. are “QMED” ratings. The approval we gave the “QMED Option” program at CMA lets you sit for any of the QMED endorsements.
James D. Cavo
Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division (NMC-2)
USCG National Maritime Center

[<font color="#3354aa]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font>](mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil)

I am a Qmed who wants to crossover to deck , can wiper discharges be used for seatime towards a AB ticket?

I woud have guessed some ER time might count however,…
§ 12.05-7 Service or training requirements.

(a) The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for the various categories of endorsement as able seaman are listed in this paragraph.
(1) Able Seaman—Any Waters, Unlimited. Three years service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans or the Great Lakes.
(2) Able Seaman—Limited. Eighteen months service on deck in vessels of 100 gross tons or over which operate in a service not exclusively confined to the rivers and smaller inland lakes of the United States.
(3) Able Seaman—Special. Twelve months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(4) Able Seaman—Special (OSV). Six months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(5) After July 31, 1998, to receive an STCW endorsement for service as a “rating forming part of a navigational watch” on a seagoing ship of 500 GT or more, the applicant’s seagoing service must include training and experience associated with navigational watchkeeping and involve the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of the master, the officer in charge of the navigational watch, or a qualified rating forming part of a navigational watch. The training and experience must be sufficient to establish that the candidate has achieved the standard of competence prescribed in table A-II/4 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference in §12.01–3), in accordance with the methods of demonstrating competence and the criteria for evaluating competence specified in that table.

I hold a Second Mate unlimited license but I have signed up with Seattle Maritime Academy to take their marine engineer course. I am going to go for a third assistant and thereby hold both license. Does anyone know much about that Seattle school. I know it is a community college but they have a ship and also set you up for intership onboard an ocean going ship. I have decided to make the leap and change departments. I like the idea of the freedom of movement versus the bridge, but will still sail mate for financial reasons. Anyone else done that?

[QUOTE=mastlight;46456]I hold a Second Mate unlimited license but I have signed up with Seattle Maritime Academy to take their marine engineer course. I am going to go for a third assistant and thereby hold both license. Does anyone know much about that Seattle school. I know it is a community college but they have a ship and also set you up for intership onboard an ocean going ship. I have decided to make the leap and change departments. I like the idea of the freedom of movement versus the bridge, but will still sail mate for financial reasons. Anyone else done that?[/QUOTE]

Guess I’ll just stick to the engine room and hawespipe my way up!

Thank goodness for the SIU and Piney Point- Free classes, free room & board, free college degree, and a way to hawespipe to 3rd.

[QUOTE=SaltySailor;46498]Guess I’ll just stick to the engine room and hawespipe my way up!

Thank goodness for the SIU and Piney Point- Free classes, free room & board, free college degree, and a way to hawespipe to 3rd.[/QUOTE]

You can get a degree at Piney Point? Is it an associates or a bachelors?

[QUOTE=cmakin;46560]You can get a degree at Piney Point? Is it an associates or a bachelors?[/QUOTE]
They offer an associates in nautical science and marine engineering technology. I assume it is still through St Mary’s College.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Since I learned something new today, I guess I can go home. Here is another Piney Point/SIU question, then. Since they seem to encourage moving up the hawsepipe, does the SIU then have any imput with regard to which Officer’s union one will (or will not) join.

[QUOTE=cmakin;46611]Oh, I didn’t know that. Since I learned something new today, I guess I can go home. Here is another Piney Point/SIU question, then. Since they seem to encourage moving up the hawsepipe, does the SIU then have any imput with regard to which Officer’s union one will (or will not) join.[/QUOTE]
Most I’ve seen early in the program that received their associates never moved up past AB, QMED or limited licenses. There was a program at one time where ABs and QMEDs upgraded to 3rd through the AMO schools. There were a couple of paths where you could transfer time over to AMO or stay SIU. These agreements seemed to change from year to year.

In the past few years, it appears Piney Point has the courses and simulators for 1600/3rd/2nd mate requirements. The ones I know that received their 3rds stayed with SIU.