Qmed qualifications?

Hello everyone I have some questions I was wondering if some people could help me with. I recently just got out the navy as an engine man and now am trying to get a job doing merchant work. Is it hard to get qmed qualified? And is there any specific rating I should test for if I want to work on emd 645 diesel?

I don’t think there are any different ratings for qmeds. But you do need to have rfpew. Rating for performance in am engineering watch. Its a 5 day course and after the course you need yo get signed off by someone who has at least a DDe unlimited license. And you also need to get signed off on centrifuges. And not every vessel has one.

You also need 60 sea days after you take the class before you can send the rfpew sign off sheet to the rec. Then once you get the okay from the REC you can take the test for the qmed. And you need 120 sea days before you take the qmed test. But you can use your sea time from the navy

RFPEW: Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch.

Also, if the vessel or vessels you get signed off on doesn’t have a heavy fuel oil purifier, your RFPEW will be limited to “vessels without a auxiliary or waste heat boiler”. That’s what I have.

I am pretty sure that a DDE Unlimited isn’t high enough to sign off on the assessments. I remember when I was going through all this that it had to be a 2nd A/E unlimited, but a Chief Engineer Limited was okay too. I had both of those sign off on my assessments. Never heard DDE Unlimited was okay. I would double check that.

Ok well I was on a nuclear aircraft carrier prior to getting out of the navy. Where I worked in the auxiliary department, would that suffice as the engineer watch that you are talking about , if not do you know how I could go about getting it? How did u get qualified?? Oh and by the way thanks a lot for helping me with this process…

[QUOTE=Tampamariner;93328]I don’t think there are any different ratings for qmeds. But you do need to have rfpew. Rating for performance in am engineering watch. Its a 5 day course and after the course you need yo get signed off by someone who has at least a DDe unlimited license. And you also need to get signed off on centrifuges. And not every vessel has one.[/QUOTE]

There are 10 different ratings for a qmed. If you are going to test, it would be in your best interest to go for qmed all endorsments. It will only help you in the future

QMED - Oiler, Fireman/Watertender, Junior Engineer, Refrigerating Engineer, Deck Engineer, Electrician, Machinist, OR Pumpman Six months (180 days) service in the engine room on vessels working in the capacity of at least equal to Wiper.

QMED - Deck Engine Mechanic While holding rating of QMED-Junior Engineer:

1. Six months (180 days) service as QMED-Junior Engineer on steam vessels of at least 4,000 horsepower,
    OR
  2. Satisfactory completion of at least 4 weeks of indoctrination and training in the engine department of an automated steam vessel of at least 4,000 horsepower.

QMED - Engineman While holding rating of QMED - Fireman/Watertender and Oiler, or Junior Engineer:

Also all this information is in the CFR’s most in chapter 46 engineers license structure. If you are going to be in this business you will need to learn how to navigate the CFR’s, so might as well start now. They will answer most of your questions once you figure out where to look.

Now I have another question with all of your guyses experience and years in would you suggest I go to a maritime school first to get a license and if I did that how long of schooling do you think that would take? Or should I just get my qmed and start now?

If you’re thinking of going to a state Maritime Academy, for your unlimited engineering license, just be prepared to take hard math classes like calc 3, and others. I’m not sure what all they take because I went deck. But take a look through the degree program. Remember they’re giving you an engineering degree, not just the license. How long it takes all depends on you, but it is a heavier credit load for both deck and engine than other Bachelor’s degrees.

Ook so you went to school to be on the deck side because before I was an engine man I was a 3 rd class boatswains mate. If I went to school to be on the deck side, is the schooling hard and how much do they make annually if you don’t mind me asking?

[QUOTE=drod2214;93619]Now I have another question with all of your guyses experience and years in would you suggest I go to a maritime school first to get a license and if I did that how long of schooling do you think that would take? Or should I just get my qmed and start now?[/QUOTE]

Navy sea time is a funny thing. You have to have the proper documentation, saying what, when, and where you stood a watch at. From some of the other guys I have seen post on here, it is a pain in the a$$ to get the proper paper work. Then it is up to the NMC on weather it counts. Either way it will only be partial credit toward a licnese or rating. I can’t speak much about navy sea time. About as close as I have been to being in the Navy is visiting the USS Alabama, on my days off.

If you go to a maritime academy or chose to hawse pipe it is roughly the same amount of time to get to the goal of havin a 3 A/E. Basically 4 years depending on how many days you work.

The difference is hawse pipe no school tuition to repay, but no degree to fall back on after you decide to quit sailing.

Hawse pipe is just work, and more work, the chance to poke fun at the academy guys. and if your lucky a card board box to retire in after 40 years.

K.P. is the only federal school, it is free tuition, but you have to do navy reserve duty, and there is a age limit to get in as well. the State schools you have to pay for just like any other college.

So chief rob what route did u go if you don’t mind me asking? And what route would you recommend?

[QUOTE=drod2214;93644]So chief rob what route did u go if you don’t mind me asking? And what route would you recommend?[/QUOTE]

My family owned a couple comercial fishing boats, (Shrimp trawlers) I grew up around that. The other side of the family was in the trucking and excavating business. I pretty much grew up with diesel in my blood from the time I was old enough to walk. It didn’t take me long to realize that there had to be something better than the back deck of a shrimp boat, or the levers of a bull dozer. I got my first spot as a unlicensed engineer on a tug, just 2 months after graduating high school. I am about as hawse pipe as any one can be. After 24 years out here, I have very little regrets.

However that was in 1988 when I made that decision. If I was that age again now and I had the chance to go to college and get a degree, I think I would. In fact with the way things are going now days you are almost a fool if you have the chance to go to college and don’t take it. You can still hawse pipe your way up, but they are making it harder ever day.

Just my opinion, that and 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee now days

The best way to decide whether to be deck or engine is to figure out which you’d be more satisfied with bc they’re very different. The schooling for deck is easier then engine. But word is that the Engineering Degrees are harder then the Deck Degrees, But the deck license Exam is harder then the Engine license exam. Either one could easily end up taking 5 years to complete unless you completed any college credits while in the navy. I’d say go to college, you have GI Bill so why not. The only way I’d advise hawspiping instead is if you don’t think you’ll be able to get through all the college courses. If you fail out it’d be a waste of time since pretty much nothing would count.

[QUOTE=drod2214;93325]Hello everyone I have some questions I was wondering if some people could help me with. I recently just got out the navy as an engine man and now am trying to get a job doing merchant work. Is it hard to get qmed qualified? And is there any specific rating I should test for if I want to work on emd 645 diesel?[/QUOTE]

Call National Maritime at (888) 427-5662, you’ll get an answer.

Ex-Navy.