Posting MMC, guidance from the USCG

Click this link for a memo from the USCG containing information on posting your MMC.

So it is official. My MMC is going to get a bunch of thumb tack holes in it.

By the way, who is Captain Eric Christensen? I don’t believe I have seen his name before.

My new boss. Head of the office of vessel activities (CG-543) in Coast Guard HQ. His office includes the Mariner Credentialing Program Policy Division (they handle appeals of NMC decisions). He’s a California Maritime graduate. You might have seen articles warning about foreign detentions of US towing vessels with 2-watch manning, the warnings were from him.

In the past I’ve seen copies of licenses on display that were label “copy” and “for display only”. Since the holders aren’t going to display the new MMC very well, couldn’t we scan the MMC and create a display version? Just a thought…
MTSKIER

Any chance we could get him to issue the warning to domestic tugs on a two watch system, just to make it seem to the rest of the world that the USCG cares about fatigue domestically as well as internationally?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;15133]My new boss. Head of the office of vessel activities (CG-543) in Coast Guard HQ. His office includes the Mariner Credentialing Program Policy Division (they handle appeals of NMC decisions). He’s a California Maritime graduate. You might have seen articles warning about foreign detentions of US towing vessels with 2-watch manning, the warnings were from him.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mr. Cavo. And is it my imagination, or do you have a new job title?

Yes. I am no longer at NMC, I’m at CG HQ in the Mariner Credentialing Program Policy Division. It is what federal employees call a Lateral" move meaning no promotion, same pay grade. I made the move to trade a 1.5 to 2 hour commute (each way) for one that takes 25 minutes.

My relief at NMC, at least until a permanent hire is made, is the head of the exam branch, Bob Smith. He’s a retired 1st Assistant Engineer and graduated from the old Calhoon school.

I’d say cutting your commute down by an hour and and a half each way equals a promotion!