Newest WtF from NMC

Greetings All, I recieved a very vague email from the NMC today stating: Dear mariner: The U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) is conducting a Quality Review of Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC). Your MMC has been identified as possibly in need of correction. If it is confirmed that your MMC is effected, a new MMC will be issued at no cost to you One other mariner I work with also recieved this same notice. Anyone else? Anyone have any insight into what they are up to this time? I don’t need any more bad news in this industry at the moment… Best regards from the shipyard,

I got one too. Am going to call later today to see what this about. Mine can be cleaned up some. It has the expiring OICNW stuff along with the Gap closed non-expiring OICNW stuff. Both show up in the online credential verification tool too. I’m hoping that this bit of housekeeping is what this is all about.

Scott

Yes when I added Leadership & Management to my license they sent me a new license. They forgot to put radar on my license & had to send me a new sticker

I just got the same notification in my email. Says the Quality Review will be completed by December 1, and if they need to send me a new book it should arrive by January 1, 2017.

So. With a predicted backlog of applications at the end of this year caused by people waiting til the last minute to submit for gap closing … and a likely increase in early renewals to avoid refresher training… the NMC adds this additional work load with its accompanying reduction in capacity to process applications.

Don’t seem too smaht.

I got the same email. My question is that based on this revision, will you have a new date of renewal?

[QUOTE=mtskier;189233]Greetings All, I recieved a very vague email from the NMC today stating: Dear mariner: The U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) is conducting a Quality Review of Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC). Your MMC has been identified as possibly in need of correction. If it is confirmed that your MMC is effected, a new MMC will be issued at no cost to you One other mariner I work with also recieved this same notice. Anyone else? Anyone have any insight into what they are up to this time? I don’t need any more bad news in this industry at the moment… Best regards from the shipyard,[/QUOTE]

I got the same e-mail this morning. Put the fear in me as I just got a license upgrade and was afraid they were going to take it away from me. Also, I’ve got a renewal waiting to be evaluated and thought there might be some problem with that.

Anyway, I called them up right away and they said they just needed to verify my legal address and contact info. That was all. The lady at the NMC told me there were a number of other people that had to do the same thing.

Dunno why they had to phrase it as “Your MMC has been identified as possibly in need of correction.” Might as well have told me “We’re revoking your sailor ticket because we’re not sure where you live.”

Gotta love the bureaucracy.

[QUOTE=BilgeRat42;189250]I got the same e-mail this morning. Put the fear in me as I just got a license upgrade and was afraid they were going to take it away from me. Also, I’ve got a renewal waiting to be evaluated and thought there might be some problem with that.

Anyway, I called them up right away and they said they just needed to verify my legal address and contact info. That was all. The lady at the NMC told me there were a number of other people that had to do the same thing.

Dunno why they had to phrase it as “Your MMC has been identified as possibly in need of correction.” Might as well have told me “We’re revoking your sailor ticket because we’re not sure where you live.”

Gotta love the bureaucracy.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to hear. I got the same email, just upgraded a few months ago. After reading your post I went back and read the email again. The second paragraph seems to be referring to your address. Missed it on my first reading because of the “Possible need of correction” phrasing.

I called today. The lady said the review was just starting, and she had no details. She did want to verify my address, in case they do need to send a new book. Alledgely, they won’t take anything away, but may add something. I don’t know what they could add. I don’t qualify for anything I don’t have, and I had to fight to get what I do have.

If your in the wheelhouse the medical card expiration date you use is pilot correct???

Only if you have a federal pilotage endorsement. If you have STCW endorsements and plan to or are are sailing under their authority use the STCW expiration. If you only intend to sail inland or on vessels not subject to STCW use the national expiration.

[QUOTE=mtskier;189233]Greetings All, I recieved a very vague email from the NMC today stating: Dear mariner: The U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) is conducting a Quality Review of Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC). Your MMC has been identified as possibly in need of correction. If it is confirmed that your MMC is effected, a new MMC will be issued at no cost to you One other mariner I work with also recieved this same notice. Anyone else? Anyone have any insight into what they are up to this time? I don’t need any more bad news in this industry at the moment… Best regards from the shipyard,[/QUOTE]

I know of 3 mariners now that have received this notice… Its also odd that they state, further in the email , that if you are sent a new MMC, it will be at no cost to you… No issuance fee ? Wtf is going on ?

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;189303]Only if you have a federal pilotage endorsement. If you have STCW endorsements and plan to or are are sailing under their authority use the STCW expiration. If you only intend to sail inland or on vessels not subject to STCW use the national expiration.[/QUOTE]

Medical certificate expiration dates for Pilot and STCW are both 2 years. But, pilots have to get a physical every year (but don’t need to submit unless renewing the medical certificate.)

I got the same email a few days ago.

The actual text of the email below. Like others, I promptly called and asked what it was about. The customer service rep I spoke with said that the review was with regard to the STCW gap-closing courses and a sentence regarding “not valid after …” that was placed on some MMCs but shouldn’t have been. I just completed the Leadership and Managerial course, so it’s not really an issue for me either way.

The lady with whom I spoke was on the ball and happily admitted that NMC would have saved a lot of angst and time if they had been a little more specific about what they were reviewing.

Dear mariner:

The U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) is conducting a Quality
Review of Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC). Your MMC has been identified
as possibly in need of correction. If it is confirmed that your MMC is
effected, a new MMC will be issued at no cost to you.

NMC is striving to ensure the new MMCs are mailed to the correct address for
each mariner. If your address has changed since your last MMC application,
please hit reply and include your name, reference number or last four digits
of your social security number, and your new address. If your address has
not changed, no action is necessary.

The Quality Review will be completed December 1, 2016 and if you are mailed
a new MMC you should receive it prior to January 1, 2017.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

Thank you,

National Maritime Center
D05-SMB-NMC-CSC@uscg.mil

• Updated - - -

The actual text of the email below. Like others, I promptly called and asked what it was about. The customer service rep I spoke with said that the review was with regard to the STCW gap-closing courses and a sentence regarding “not valid after …” that was placed on some MMCs but shouldn’t have been. I just completed the Leadership and Managerial course, so it’s not really an issue for me either way.

The lady with whom I spoke was on the ball and happily admitted that NMC would have saved a lot of angst and time if they had been a little more specific about what they were reviewing.

Dear mariner:

The U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) is conducting a Quality
Review of Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC). Your MMC has been identified
as possibly in need of correction. If it is confirmed that your MMC is
effected, a new MMC will be issued at no cost to you.

NMC is striving to ensure the new MMCs are mailed to the correct address for
each mariner. If your address has changed since your last MMC application,
please hit reply and include your name, reference number or last four digits
of your social security number, and your new address. If your address has
not changed, no action is necessary.

The Quality Review will be completed December 1, 2016 and if you are mailed
a new MMC you should receive it prior to January 1, 2017.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

Thank you,

National Maritime Center
D05-SMB-NMC-CSC@uscg.mil

Interesting. I haven’t recieved anything like this but I’ll keep a look out for it.

I am sending in my gap-closing stuff this month and I am also going to try and convince them to lift my HP restriction on my steam license since all (yes, all) of my qualifying time was on ships of 30k HP and the limit came from my motor service. No sweat for the former, but wish me luck for the latter. I’ll probably get a denial.

I got it too. Only thing I can think of is my old address is still on my credential and they are well aware of my new one that I’ve had for a couple years now.

For a second I was hoping they were going to correct the MMC of people to whom they gave ARPA by mistake. I know numerous people who never took the ARPA class yet didn’t receive the negative endorsement on their MMC.

I got this two and i know they have my right address, in the last two years i have gotten 6 renewals, upgrades or endorsements and they just re printed my credential on the one before last.

Used the chat on NMC website and got this— This Quality review is being done to ensure we did not inadvertently limitthe STCW portion of your credential to “Not Valid after December 31, 2016” as it relates to the Gap Closing requirements for mariners currentlyholding one of the below originally issued prior to March 24, 2014.Chief Mate or Master (II/2, II/3)OINCW (II/I, II/3)Chief Engineer and Second Engineer Officer (III/2, III/3)OICEW (III/1)If this limitation was issued in error, it does not prevent employmentuntil after December 31, 2016 by which time the MMC should be corrected witha duplicate MMC already issued.

Called Boston Rec and they said to make sure my address is still good and they said it looks like when I got a dupelicate in 2015 that NMC added this Dec 31 2016 limit to my credential but should not have done it until I renewed my STCW. I don’t have to renew that until 2018 so they limited me without needing to???!!! Nice to know that I’ll get a corrected book by the end of the year-maybe.I already missed a pump AND PAID FOR THOSE CLASSES MYSELF. People at Rec said that at least I don’t have to worry about them when I renew in 2018 but it feels like NMC made a mistake that took money from my pocket for this school. At least the call only took 10 minutes and I didn’t have to wait to talk to a real person

Well they “fixed” my book- just got home and there was a new book in the mail stacks for me. They took off the “December 31, 2016” wording from the STCW I got on my duplicate in 2015.

Funny that they would do this to fix it when I already submitted the courses. Now I have two books- one that says I’m not valid for after December 31, 2017 and one that doesn’t say that. Oh and I went and took courses to get this removed, but now it’s removed anyway??? Called my Rec in Boston and they said that my open application will probably get me nothing but a letter telling me that my new book fixed this and that I have to withdraw. Waste of time, waste of leave, waste of money