Possible to work in OSV via NYC?

So I’ve been stuck on working on tug boats but recently a friend suggested I look into working on OSV. My question is will the company fly me out to do this if I where to get a job while living in NYC? Moving to the gulf is not really an option.

I do not mind the idea of being out for extended (months) at a time.

Any advice for someone interested in exploring this idea please post.

Hi Tank,
I live in MT and was just hired by Chouest. They offer a travel allotment of sorts but I will be responsible for my travel arrangements and total costs.

You will most likely get 350-500 for travel pay. Like stated, you get yourself from NYC to the bayou and back home. Most companies will pick you up at the airport and drop you off.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;66993]You will most likely get 350-500 for travel pay. Like stated, you get yourself from NYC to the bayou and back home. Most companies will pick you up at the airport and drop you off.[/QUOTE]

This is correct unless you work overseas or Alaska, then the company takes care of it doorstep to doorstep.

how do you go about applying, and is it realistic to think that they might hire me without ever seeing or meeting me?

You’d better bite the bullet, take some time and fly down there. Everyone that posts here talks about applying online with no luck. OSV companies want to see you in person. Good luck man.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

In person is the way to do it! Apply online, follow up with a few phone calls, make or try to make appointments, pack your interview clothes and your seabag and make your way south. I spoke to lots of nice folks that are drowning in emails/voicemail applications. Two of them offered me positions and chose the better fit for my situation. The jobs are available! Be warned that the medical/physical is failing a high percentage of applicants. Hope this helps!