Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

Well deserved! That’s seriously good stuff.

The Seven Borealis is an impressive Construction Support/Pipelay vessel by anybody’s standard. I watched her “grow” at Sembawang Shipyard back in 2011. From there she sailed to Rotterdam to install the J-lay tower and stinger, before entering service in 2012.

Have a look at her transformation into to top modern CSV:

Guyana and Trinidad. Smooth sea and clear skies. Been a holiday trip.

Are you there only for the installation of the FPSO and returning to a more familiar clime in the North Sea, or on a longer contract ?

Short stay. Back to rain and north sea waves.

That’s OK, mariners raised in the northern seas have to be kept in cold a climate, otherwise could lead to spoilage.

Yeah heat is my enemy, been perspiring like a maniac.

You guys don’t have the monopoly on wind, rain snow and sleet. There is plenty here to give away to anyone that’s missing it.

A familiar sight in Aalesund a few days ago.
Sailing Training Ship “Sørlandet” spent a week here, before heading to warmer climes for the winter:

She is a square rigger built in 1922:

She was the last of the large Tall ships to get an engine installed (in 1960)

I joined this ship in Kristiansand, Norway in Febr. 1959 for 2 months of pre-sea training, followed by 2 weeks as crew on her first sailing trip

When I joined she was in drydock to get modifications done in preparations for getting engine installed. The future Engine room was cleared of ballast stones and a stern tube installed, but no shaft or propeller fitted.

After having been in layup for some years, only the standing rig in place. All running rig was in storage and was reinstated during our two months on board, with the work being done by the trainees.
Lots of ropes to keep track of on a ship like this:

The manual capstan for the anchor windlass and stock anchor is still in use:

As is the manual steering gear and large wheel that required two men to operate:

Nice picture of the rigging against the sunset:

My days of climbing the rigging is over:

She is now use as a floating classroom for World Academy with a group of international students on a year long adventure:

If you want to know more, here is a link to their website:

4 Likes

I was digging this link and picturing my daughter doing this someday until I came across the 63k euro tuition cost. :pleading_face:

That costs more than I made in my first year as a new third mate. That is some serious cake to go play sailor for a year.

1 Like

The Viola has been rotting away at South Georgia for many years, but now some enthusiasts wants to bring her back home to Hull:
http://www.violatrawler.net/

Another very old “ship” that is receiving attention is the Taiwanese submarine Sea Lion, ex USS Cuttles:

Still in service at 75, not bad!!!

Don’t know if this will work, but here goes.
Looking at the name and colour scheme of this tanker beg the question; does a well know offshore marine company also daddle in the VLCC market?:
c.passion@piet sinke 20-10-2019 (2) _ Maasmondmaritime _ Flickr.html (296.5 KB)

One more question for you. What is the HOS Red Rock doing in Northern Norway at this awful time of the year? (I doubt that they are there for the Northern Lights, like the Cruise ships and hundreds of tourists).
Seen here visiting Tromsø a few days ago (21.Oct.):

(Pictures courtesy of “DS Lyngen”)
She left shortly after, but is now back in Tromsø.
Her AIS has been off since she came out from the English Channel 09. Oct.

My first wife went to school while travelling the world on a ship called the 7 Seas back in the early sixties. I envied her experience.

It looks like the mystery is solved. The HOS Red Rock left Tromsø after discharging some container off her deck.
Yesterday the Russian icebreaker Akademik Fedorov arrived in Tromsø:

To load more supply for the RV Polarstern that is frozen in to the ice for one year drifting across the Arctic Ocean as part of the international research program MOSAiC:

Here is the R/V Polarstern at Tromsø to taking on fuel, supplies and personnel in mid Sept.:

Not sure though. It MAY also have something to do with the new radar installation at Vardø, where there are a contingent of American technicians and their families stationed. (??)

PS> But why all, the secrecy (no info on Tromsø Port website) and sailing “dark” on an innocent civilian supply operation??

Here’s another mystery. What’s this Norwegian vessel doing lurking about in the Strait of Juan de Fuca? Not where I expected it to show up after it’s recent acquisition by Sverre Farstad.

Not sure what she is doing there, but she left the North Sea in August bound for USA on a new charter contract:

Managed to take a picture of Canada’s most modern and advanced vessel before she leave for North America (GOM as the rumors say)
Bold of the company to have a anus as logo.

A couple pictures of arriving in Invergordon after AH work.

And a picture from Montrose

1 Like

Cheeky, perhaps?

3 Likes

The TDW owned PSV North Barents just arrived in Aalesund:

Previously belonging to Gulfmark with same name and still flying NOR flag:

(Pictures from Aalesund Havn webcam and Shipspotting)