Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

Bit down by the head are we? Or is that a submarine in disguise?

Loadline?? Isn’t that when water gets over top of your wellington boots when you cross the deck??

Ey, we got good hatches…

Sea-Lion one of BC’s oldest tugs.
Photo Source: Shirley McElwee - Pinterest

This vessel was spotted in Aalesund, Norway a couple of days ago. She is presently engaged in the Fish farming industry along the Norwegian coast as AQS Njord under Norwegian flag.

Until last year she was named Tanux II under MI flag.

Her origin is as the Malaysian Sealink Vanessa 3 and built in Miri, Sarawak in 2004:
sealink-vanessa-3

What are those blue projector-looking things?

Folded up knuckle boom crane.

Thanks.

Yes fold able cranes to handle nets and equipment.
Here is a similar vessel with delousing equipment on deck:

Closeup of the crane:

Different vessel. This is a Damen Multicat:

Beyoody, thanks.

The pipelayer Seven Oceans spolling pipe at Vigra Spool Base near Aalesund, Norway:

Seven Oceans presentation video:

Palfinger makes cranes for trucks and ships. The ship mounted ones are manufactured to take into account the marine environment and the capacity can range from those fitted to a fishing boat up to 180 tonnes.
Those boats built in Malaysia were absolute dogs.

Are talking about Malaysian vessels in general, or the Sealink built, owned and operated ones especially??

This little beauty was in Stavanger a month or so back.Straight from the shipyard in Germany to claim 43 million Euros back in VAT. She is reported to cost have cost $300 million. I tried to find out who the owner was even asked one of the crew when it was tied up along the quay in town - he wouldn’t tell.
According to Marine Traffic it is now off the coast of Sicily.
The name is Flying Fox.

I drove a virtually brand new one for a short time and going back to a 30 year old 704 was like going from a Lada to a Beemer.
Question : why does a Lada have a heated rear window?
Answer: To keep your hands warm when you are pushing it.

Yes there were a lot of the OSVs built in Malaysia, Batam and China in the boom years of 2000s that was way behind the level of the UT 704s built in the 1970s. Most were standard designs by Coonan Wu and Khiam Chun, with equipment more reminiscent of the 1960s and 1970s.
The AHTS of 5150 Bhp was a staple, built in large numbers at all three places:

I was Marine Adviser to a fast expanding company in Singapore for a while in 2007 that ordered new and bought contracts from others at both Chinese and Malaysian yards because they were cheap and they needed boats, barges and equipment urgently. I got to travel to the yards to attend at deliveries of many of them.

At every Friday’s Management Meeting I repeated the same mantra; “Yes in good times you can get work for anything, but when the downturn comes these cheap boats will have problem competing with more sophisticated and fuel efficient boats, or with older boats that have lower, or no finance costs, but is just as efficient.” It took some years, but they got to eventually see the truth in my statement. (By then I was long gone)

Sealink was a bit different though. They built their boats at their own yard to ideas that the old Towkay came up with, based on his experience, both from the local offshore and logging industries. He hired his own Naval Architects to put his ideas into workable designs, which he than supervised the construction of, together with his long time trusted staff in good old Chinese style. Some of his ideas were good, some not so.

But he also acknowledged that the days when someone with no formal education could build up a business was over. His sons were sent to the best schools and overseas universities to be ready to take over and run the business when he were ready to hand over the rains.
I got to know the family quite well over the years and enjoyed their company and the good advises from the Towkey.

Here is a link to a company presentation and history: :
https://www.asiasealink.com/history.php

IMG_20181120_163925 IMG_20190114_150834 IMG_20190430_110528

Something old and new, hope I haven’t posted any before.

2 Likes

The Beauty and the Beast met in Hessafjorden yesterday:

For those who have the time and real interest in Marine operations, heavy lifting, towing and more, here is a link to Capt. Jan Berghuis photo stream on Flicker:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mastermariner/albums
He has been taking action pictures around the world for many years and is well worth following.

2 Likes

I carried a camera to work for 12 years. I have been fortunate to have received some recognition for them. Here’s a portfolio: https://500px.com/oneeighteen

8 Likes