Passed 500 Ton Masters Finally!

After a long year of taking classes and studying like crazy, I have finally passed all of the 500/1600 Masters NC tests.

Thanks to all of the information this forum provides, I was able to study on my own and avoid the lengthy prep classes. Through this forum I learned about the study tools that helped me the most…Lapware and Capt Joes Deck license program were the perfect study tools, and both were a great help.

Teaching myself Terrestrial navigation was without a doubt the hardest thing to do, but w/ persistence and Bowditch I figured it out!!

For the other guys out there in the process of upgrading to the 500/1600, Believe me that you can do it on your own and avoid the prep classes…It will take a lot of work and continual studying, but it will pay off and finally “click” [I]eventually[/I].

Thanks to all of the people that contribute so much information, It has helped me tremendously for my upgrade from 200 to 500!! Now its time for a little “me time” and put the books DOWN!

congradulations,All I have left is my Flashing Lights and the test at the coast guard station… Were did you take your flashing lights? How was it to test at the coast guard station?

Also how many questions was on Terrestrial nav? I did not think that this was a requred for the 500 ton . Also if you want to sale your study material let me know I will buy it from you

Cheers to you Sea for getting through it all. For Skinny the Terr is 10 questions.

Skinny- I took FL at Quality Maritime in St Pete, FL. They are a little more expensive than the schools in LA, but much more convenient for me living in FL. Practice ahead of time and you should finish in 1 days time. As for testing at the Coast Guard, I tested at Charleston and they were great. For study materials, I have a small library I’ve collected…most helpful were the American Merchant Seamans manual, Merchant officers handbook, Duttons and[I] of Course[/I] Bowditch. I used lapware to study when I had internet access and Capt Joes when I didn’t…also capt joes has some “tutorials” that were helpful. I did not use any of the other materials, like the Murphys books or school created study guides. I do have quite a bit of digital study information I can pass along to you. Go into the test well prepared and studied, and you should do fine…I already had a pretty good start on most of the information, but still studied like crazy. Like 10talents said, Terrestrial is 10 questions…took me twice to pass, the first time I hadn’t studied for it. You will have to know all of the formulas, and if someone else can teach you it I’m sure its easier. I taught myself the Terrestrial, and it was tough at first.

Thanks for the congrats guys, its a huge weight lifted!

Congratulations, Conspearasea, on your 500 T Master! And thanks for your comments on the route you took. They are encouraging.

I just have ARPA left, and already have my approval to test. Did you happen to take your Medical Care Provider last December at L E Fletcher?

Congratulations! I sit for the exams in 2 weeks…

Congratulations Conspearasea!

I have been wondering whether you passed or not. It had been a while since the last post on the 500 ton thread.

Thanks guys! I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. Between working 28/14 and having a wife and two kids, squeezing in classes and studying for the exam have worn me out. Let me ensure others out there if you are going to go about this w/o the prep classes, it can be done…It’s quite a bit of work, but you can do this w/ the proper study tools.

Best of luck to the others here that have been working to get this done before things change, it’s tough but worth the sacrifice!

Bravo Zulu Conspearasea…I appreciate the advice…

[QUOTE=water;41946]Congratulations, Conspearasea, on your 500 T Master! And thanks for your comments on the route you took. They are encouraging.

I just have ARPA left, and already have my approval to test. Did you happen to take your Medical Care Provider last December at L E Fletcher?[/QUOTE]

Water,what part of December did you take MCP at Fletcher? I was there the 1st week of December last year.

Mike

Mike -

I just missed you. I was there the week of Dec. 14th.

I have passed all my moduals except I failed the plotting. I missed a couple problems. My question is: are they questions based on the question before? For example with a course made good question with engine turning 12.5 kt Would I use the speed made good on that (12 kt) on the next question if there is no speed specified? Or use the.initial 12.5 kt? Any pointers or comment for any navigation problems is greatly appreciated

Short answer, yes. If you mess up one, the next ones take off from that answer.

From what I recall (no guarantees given) the answers evolve from start to finish. Like you found, you are doing revs for 12.5, but the position they give shows 12 OTB any subsequent problem is based upon the 12 knots. UNLESS they state: "at time XXXX you alter course to XXXoT and make 12 knots. The reading of the question is really important. They will tell you what the parameters are. You have to read the questions thoroughly to get what they are asking and want. I had a bitch of a time on plotting too. I had to learn from a wizened old Mate to SHARPEN my pencil! The dull pencil was too wide to make a triangle from for accuracy! I thought he was bonkers. Turned out he was pretty accurate.

[QUOTE=cappy208;82876]From what I recall (no guarantees given) the answers evolve from start to finish. Like you found, you are doing revs for 12.5, but the position they give shows 12 OTB any subsequent problem is based upon the 12 knots. UNLESS they state: "at time XXXX you alter course to XXXoT and make 12 knots. The reading of the question is really important. They will tell you what the parameters are. You have to read the questions thoroughly to get what they are asking and want. I had a bitch of a time on plotting too. I had to learn from a wizened old Mate to SHARPEN my pencil! The dull pencil was too wide to make a triangle from for accuracy! I thought he was bonkers. Turned out he was pretty accurate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’ve picked up a good mechanical pencil. One that doesn’t spring when you press on it and traded my parallels. In for the new style. This explain why after my first trouble question things went pear shaped. I also didn’t know how to properly execute the running fix. I’m considering going down to see born Bruce for a day of practice before going back in. Maybe a little more attention to detail will do the trick. It.I would hate to put my back up against the wall and have to sit a third try.

Congrats on passing the test. We have 3 going to take the test. I help them on all the terrestrial, charts and currents stuff. For all the general stuff I don’t know how much I say study,study, study.

I’m with you though, It took me a year and I’m putting the books down for 3 hitches of me time then it’s study for the next upgrade.

Congrats again.

[QUOTE=cappy208;82876]From what I recall (no guarantees given) the answers evolve from start to finish…[/QUOTE]

This is correct, BUT no question requires that you answered a previous question correctly in order to get the right answer, i.e. if you plot a bad position on one question it will not effect your ability to correctly answer any question that comes after.

I passed! thanks for the advice guys. Got a 100 on plotting, chesapeake bay test.

Congrats. Got any tips since you just went through it? Share with any other newbie coming along. Sometimes us old fahrts forget the little nuances of the exams!