Other maritime job bulletin boards/listings

Been checking them often for a couple of years now and this is what I’ve found:

RigZone: by far the best with the most GoM jobs but still a huge number of foreign jobs which they do not want Americans to fill. I have also found that many of the listing you do reply to, you never hear boo back from anyone. Still it is my number one to check every day.
[ol]
[li]Maritime Employment: Used to be the big dog for offshore jobs but in the last year has really gone downhill in its listings. I just looked at it after a week and all that was new has a hairdresser’s job, some mate’s job in Aquaba, a bunch of yacht managment positions and a lonely 100ton master in Whittier AK and a QMED in Steilcoom WA. I’ve pretty much given up on that sight.[/li][li]Marine Jobs: There is painfully little new there[/li][li]Maritime Job Search: lot of shore engineering positions but occasionally a seagoing offshore job from companies like Helix yet little else (btw, has anyone ever hear back from Helix here)[/li][li]Oil Offshore Marine: lots and lots of great offshore vessel jobs with companies like Acergy but they’re almost exclusively for Europeans.[/li][li]Mass Maritime’s Job Board: kudos to them for making the listings they receive to all mariners, not just graduates[/li][li]Cal Maritime Job Listings: used to post a shipload for all mariners but it appears to be just that “used to”[/li][/ol]I’ll post a few others in a bit, but wanted to get this tread started to see what others think.

cheers

c.captain - I personally have heard back from Helix. Was told that they are not doing anything until around May. Being hopeful until then.

Site based in the UK but has a lot of background information on the oil/gas sector for new people.
http://www.donpedroshipping.co.uk/offshore_jobs.html

[quote=c.captain;8291]Been checking them often for a couple of years now and this is what I’ve found:

RigZone: by far the best with the most GoM jobs but still a huge number of foreign jobs which they do not want Americans to fill. I have also found that many of the listing you do reply to, you never hear boo back from anyone. Still it is my number one to check every day.
[ol]
[li]Maritime Employment: Used to be the big dog for offshore jobs but in the last year has really gone downhill in its listings. I just looked at it after a week and all that was new has a hairdresser’s job, some mate’s job in Aquaba, a bunch of yacht managment positions and a lonely 100ton master in Whittier AK and a QMED in Steilcoom WA. I’ve pretty much given up on that sight.[/li][li]Marine Jobs: There is painfully little new there[/li][li]Maritime Job Search: lot of shore engineering positions but occasionally a seagoing offshore job from companies like Helix yet little else (btw, has anyone ever hear back from Helix here)[/li][li]Oil Offshore Marine: lots and lots of great offshore vessel jobs with companies like Acergy but they’re almost exclusively for Europeans.[/li][li]Mass Maritime’s Job Board: kudos to them for making the listings they receive to all mariners, not just graduates[/li][li]Cal Maritime Job Listings: used to post a shipload for all mariners but it appears to be just that “used to”[/li][/ol]
I’ll post a few others in a bit, but wanted to get this tread started to see what others think.

cheers[/quote]

I agree on Maritime Employment, don’t understand what happened to it. I used it last year and got some response but the positions are seriously >.<

This link searches a lot of the main job search engines. http://www.indeed.com/. I have found it quite useful.

I’d have to agree with indeed.com I use it daily. A few other ideas-

• Search the Craigslists for port cities- Houston,New Orleans,Seattle, etc. These jobs don’t show up on indeed.

*A good way to find contacts on a company is to search or it on myspace. First you find someone in the company- then you ask about their company- like/dislikes-and of course if they are hiring.

Google- search for what you are looking for- using quotes- IE- “Captain $500 day” search for any word vaguely related to the job you’re looking for.

lastly- always ask each company if they are hiring for other positions. Tell them you have friends in all areas of the merchant marine. It helps them, it helps others, and it makes a positive impression on employers.

I’ll ask why they’ve stopped posting jobs on the CMA career center site.

Thanks for the tips guys I’m headed down south this week to look around for a job.