OSV reuse better than scrapping?

The company that runs the ferries to Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket re-uses old mud boats as freight boats. In fact rumors are they are looking to replace them with some of Hornbecks old boats

1 Like

This is a bit different from the “normal” ideas for reuse of PSVs:

Solstad has completed the “right sizing” of their fleet by sell 36 vessels considered “non-strategic” to their fleet and business model:

Maersk Supply have decided that scrapping is better:

3 less Offshore vessels competing for the jobs available.

The MAERSK HELPER being towed to the Fornaes ship recycling yard in Grena by the FRIGGA

Note that they are towed individually, not tied together side by side.
Lesson learnt!!

1 Like

Another Danish offshore vessel, a EERV this time, calls it a day, but this one goes on to a new live in whale safari and sight seeing in northern Norway:

Every stacked boat in SE asia is being pulled out and out back to work
Industry growing somewhere?
Forecast is one last boom.

And this time I promise I will not piss it all away!! (maybe)

3 Likes

lol exactly
I worked with coonies and red necks, most had more value in cars and bikes in their garage than their house.
Then in a crash the garage contents not worth much.

1 Like

That was a direct quote from a tee-shirt that was popular back in the 1970s:
Front:
OFFSHORE ROUGHNECK
Cartoon of of a Roughneck with a Rooster tattoo on his forearm and divorce paper sticking out of the hip pocket
GOD Let there be another Oil boom.
Back:
And this time I promise I will not piss it all away!!

PS> The model for that Tee-shirt was Assistant Driller on a rig in Indonesia that I moved regularly.
(The only difference was that he had two sets of divorce papers)

2 Likes

And it is not only in S.E.Asia that this is happening:

At least the newer and more marketable vessels in layup gets reactivated for used in the Oil & Gas or Offshore Wind industries.

Older, smaller and less up to date vessels gets either scrapped, or sold for re-use in different segments, like Aquaculture etc…

AHTS Bourbon Liberty 120 is now the Fish farm Service vessel Sea Liberty 1. Seen here in her home port Ålesund:

Photo: Kvalvik via NSF
PS> Now with three second hand cranes, coming from AHTSs scrapped at Kleven.

https://www.vanaalstgroup.com/content/bourbon-liberty-120

Not permanent reuse, but different environment and operation from what PSVs are usually in:

an old Staten Island Ferry would work better

Maybe conversion of a PSV to cable layer meet with your approval?:

20 year old 240-280 ft PSV’ with twin tunnels fiward could easily be converted to 2000-3000 cubic yard hopper dredges for US work. That would still make them 20 years newer than 80% of the hopper dredges currently in use by US operators. The savings in weather and maintenance downtime alone would make them a bargain.

Depending where. Using a Staten Island Ferry on the Wellington to Picton run across Cook Strait would be a disaster.

Look at the comment made by Kingrobby that Tcaptain was referring to. In a nutshell Tcapatin was saying an old Staten Island Ferry would work better vs an OSV for conversion to a strip club.

2 Likes

Here is a CSV that is now fully engaged as a cable layare for optic communication cables:

She is on long term charter to Global Marine but now subcharted to NEC:

She gets around.
Galveston, Tx. 2009:

Breisunder (Ålesund) 2013:

Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015:

Irish Sea, 2021: