OSV New Hire

Is it normal for the major osv companies to make you pay for your own flight down your first time to get your physical and take your company classes our do they normally fly you?

That doesn’t sound right to me. Maybe they will repay you upon hiring.

When I graduated from the academy, one of companies from the gulf told me that I had to pay for my first trip. Needless to say I turned them down.

Did another company down there fly you or did you work somewhere else?

Last month a friend of mine had to pay for a flight down to Louisiana to do his pre-employment physical, drug test and interview with Hornbeck. They provide him transportation to/from the airport and paid for one night in a nice hotel.

I decided to work deep sea ships

I don’t know of any osv company that will fly you down at their expense for pre employment requirements.

[QUOTE=DP Mate;56429]Last month a friend of mine had to pay for a flight down to Louisiana to do his pre-employment physical, drug test and interview with Hornbeck. They provide him transportation to/from the airport and paid for one night in a nice hotel.[/QUOTE]

Call me a cheap date but I am flattered and truly smitten if they just answer the phone or return an email. Would spot my pants if someone offered a flight and hotel. Guess I’m just old fashioned?

If you have been hired, then they should pay. If you are going to be paid to do this, they should pay. But if your hiring is contingent upon passing this then…you aren’t hired yet. Sounds depressing in this economy, but hey, a job is a job.

If this is the policy at this company when you are a new hire, just wait when they really want to squeeze pennies!

My experience has been buy your own ticket down as well. They didn’t even fully cover travel once we were working either since we got a travel reimbursement in our pay that was based on how far away we lived. We had to make our own arrangements for crew change and it was never firm so we needed expensive tickets to come home.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;56421]Is it normal for the major osv companies to make you pay for your own flight down your first time to get your physical and take your company classes our do they normally fly you?[/QUOTE]

Capt Schmitt - I don’t know the ans to this but what I would do in this case is keep all my receipts for travel etc, Then after you get hired and have made a trip make a copy of the receipts and mail the originals to the personnel dept. If there was more then one or two I I would also include a separate sheet with a list of the receipts, the date, what it was for etc and staple all the receipts together.

Try to keep the receipts in good shape, people are more likely to deal if it looks like you have made it easy for them.

You are more likely to get reimbursed after you have made a trip or two without sinking a boat or killing someone then when you are just an unknown name to them.

K.C.

cappy208 is right.

You’re asking them for a job. Why should they pay for that?
If you’re being recruited, then they’ll roll out the red carpet.

When I got hired at TECO ocean shipping in Tampa they flew me in, got me a rental car, and a hotel for the night. They sent me for a physical, drug test, ect. All on their dime.

Same for the towing company I worked for out of seattle. They didn’t pay travel but they flew me out the first time to take the physical and work test.

I know other industries do this, but not an OSV company. You will not be reimbursed either. Right now if you can just get a job you should thank your lucky stars.

Most, but not all drilling contractors will fly you in for the interview, pick you up and roll the carpet out for you. When I interviewed with a drilling company for the first time I thought I was special. Never in my life had I experienced such nice treatment. I was used to the OSV mindset where I should be thankful to just have a job. I am still greatful and very pleased with many aspects of compensation and treatment the drilling contractors provide. Night and day. The osv companies will not change unless they have to.

Most likey you won’t get reimbursed nor will they pony up the ticket for you. But, you can always ask about getting reimbursed, contingent on getting hired, and lasting a hitch or two, and then submitting the receipts. It is sometimes surprising what you CAN get…