Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

Whew!

I just got my MMC

AB - Limited
STCW
TWIC
Lifeboatman
Nav Watch

Dug and kicked and went to “Sea School” in Bayou La Batrie.

Filled out mountians of papers, dug and found almost all my naval records all that = AB Limited…

I’ve been putting in apps since April… I’ve done at least 20+

Not ONE call yet…I think I’m too old… 43 also I think what is killing me is NO seatime since 1992… So in lieu of that I’ve been applying for deckhand jobs and OS jobs.

Also I’m not overweight, (6’2 - 210lbs) and quit smoking 3 months ago, been working out lifting and carring.

I just have to get my damm foot in the door.

I’m even considering cruiselines and processing boats…ack… but I would rather not.

But I have to work!!!

I’m not a wus and will work till I puke and my hands bleed and then go back for more. 75 days out / 10 days off, no problem

I want a better life and want to take better care of my wife and kids!!

I’ve been faxing and applying online.

Any suggestions???

Head to La, and pound the pavement.

Illinois Marine Towing out of Lemont, Illinois. Google them

just do what KennyW said…

Atwood Oceanics is looking for an OS. Could be your foot in the door:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA11/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=ATWOODOCEANICS&cws=1

Ordinary Seaman - Condor

US Offshore - Condor - Atwood Oceanics

Job Code:

Description

Position Summary

The OS is the entry level of the unlicensed members of the Deck crew.

Essential Functions
■Handles rope/cable in mooring and unmooring vessel.
■Acts as helmsman while the vessel is underway.
■Splices lines.
■Keeps vessel clean and paints exterior and interior of vessel as required.
■Operates fire-fighting equipment.
■Helps load ship’s stores and stows same.
■Operates mechanical scaling equipment in general maintenance work.
■Cleans assigned areas (i.e., bridge, galley, berthing spaces).
■Perform all aspects of the job in a safe and secure manner. Responsible for own and passenger safety.
■Follow all applicable security procedures; responsible for supporting security policies and helping to protect coworkers, customers, and workplace against the threat of criminal activity.
■Perform a full range of housekeeping duties on the inner cabins of vessels to keep them clean, safe and in good order. This includes cleaning toilets and heavily used public restrooms, sweeping, mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing, emptying trash, restocking supplies, etc.
■Prepare for departure and embarkation of passengers by operating lift to secure vehicle loading bridge by automated system.
■Assist Able Seamen in Fire, Abandon Ship and Rescue drills, performing aspects of the drill such as handling fire hose for testing and preparing rescue boat for release to water.
■During emergencies, fulfill duties on the muster list or duties as assigned; may be required to save lives.
■Participate in training as directed, such as when standing wheelhouse watch.
■May be required to work rotating shifts.

Safety Accountabilities
■Ensures that personal behaviors/work practices are in line with company safety standards.
■Uses and applies experience, knowledge and skills to establish and maintain a safe work environment at all times.
■Anticipates risks or failure and manages them correctly.
■Responsible for personal safety and the safety of those in the vicinity.
■Evaluates others working around them to ensure that safety procedures are well understood and followed.
■Participates as required in investigations of incidents in the immediate workplace
■Guides others on safety issues.
■Actively participates and contributes to hazard identification [FOCUS], safety tool box meetings, JSA review, Focus plus program etc.
■May be involved in risk management reviews prior to proposed changes in the workplace to ensure no negative impacts.
■Further communicates information and feedback from accident/incident data with a view to avoiding recurrence.
■Pays close attention to housekeeping, double-checks and takes additional safety precautions to ensure no-one is put at risk by own work.
■Seeks to resolve, or where necessary reports incidents of failure to adhere to safety regulations or observed risk areas.
■Takes no short cuts and encourages other team members to take due care and not put themselves or others at risk.
■Participates in safety initiatives/committees where appropriate.
■Reports all hazards and incidents in line with company procedure.

Minimum Education and Skill Requirements
■High school diploma or equivalent.
■USCG Ordinary Seaman or International Equivalent
■Minimum 1 year service Unlimited Tonnage Ship

Physical Requirements
■Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
■Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
■Stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently. Requires lifting and substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
■Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
■The worker is subject to environmental conditions. The worker is subject to extreme heat which may include temperatures above 100° for periods of more than one hour.
■Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
■The worker is subject to noise at times. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
■The worker is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
■The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;71590]Illinois Marine Towing out of Lemont, Illinois. Google them[/QUOTE]

Applied there today… I think i saw ya post this in another area?

Did 6 apps today… from stuff I found on here.

Thanks for the heads up though!!!

Keep em coming guys!!!:slight_smile:

I’ll put one in tomm AM!

Thanks

Keep em coming!!

i’d go with that atwood job. even as an os they are a high paying outfit. if you decided to do some door knocking, don’t expect it to be a magical key to open doors in the gom. “pounding pavement” so they say only works if the companies are in their hiring quarter. right now, however, the 3rd quarter is coming up (july), so you may have some luck. whatever luck you many have, don’t forget to post it on here.

Thanks!! Keep em coming!!!

Applied this am. Also applied for motorman,

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;71593]Atwood Oceanics is looking for an OS. Could be your foot in the door:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA11/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=ATWOODOCEANICS&cws=1

Ordinary Seaman - Condor

US Offshore - Condor - Atwood Oceanics

Job Code:

Description

Position Summary

The OS is the entry level of the unlicensed members of the Deck crew.

Essential Functions
■Handles rope/cable in mooring and unmooring vessel.
■Acts as helmsman while the vessel is underway.
■Splices lines.
■Keeps vessel clean and paints exterior and interior of vessel as required.
■Operates fire-fighting equipment.
■Helps load ship’s stores and stows same.
■Operates mechanical scaling equipment in general maintenance work.
■Cleans assigned areas (i.e., bridge, galley, berthing spaces).
■Perform all aspects of the job in a safe and secure manner. Responsible for own and passenger safety.
■Follow all applicable security procedures; responsible for supporting security policies and helping to protect coworkers, customers, and workplace against the threat of criminal activity.
■Perform a full range of housekeeping duties on the inner cabins of vessels to keep them clean, safe and in good order. This includes cleaning toilets and heavily used public restrooms, sweeping, mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing, emptying trash, restocking supplies, etc.
■Prepare for departure and embarkation of passengers by operating lift to secure vehicle loading bridge by automated system.
■Assist Able Seamen in Fire, Abandon Ship and Rescue drills, performing aspects of the drill such as handling fire hose for testing and preparing rescue boat for release to water.
■During emergencies, fulfill duties on the muster list or duties as assigned; may be required to save lives.
■Participate in training as directed, such as when standing wheelhouse watch.
■May be required to work rotating shifts.

Safety Accountabilities
■Ensures that personal behaviors/work practices are in line with company safety standards.
■Uses and applies experience, knowledge and skills to establish and maintain a safe work environment at all times.
■Anticipates risks or failure and manages them correctly.
■Responsible for personal safety and the safety of those in the vicinity.
■Evaluates others working around them to ensure that safety procedures are well understood and followed.
■Participates as required in investigations of incidents in the immediate workplace
■Guides others on safety issues.
■Actively participates and contributes to hazard identification [FOCUS], safety tool box meetings, JSA review, Focus plus program etc.
■May be involved in risk management reviews prior to proposed changes in the workplace to ensure no negative impacts.
■Further communicates information and feedback from accident/incident data with a view to avoiding recurrence.
■Pays close attention to housekeeping, double-checks and takes additional safety precautions to ensure no-one is put at risk by own work.
■Seeks to resolve, or where necessary reports incidents of failure to adhere to safety regulations or observed risk areas.
■Takes no short cuts and encourages other team members to take due care and not put themselves or others at risk.
■Participates in safety initiatives/committees where appropriate.
■Reports all hazards and incidents in line with company procedure.

Minimum Education and Skill Requirements
■High school diploma or equivalent.
■USCG Ordinary Seaman or International Equivalent
■Minimum 1 year service Unlimited Tonnage Ship

Physical Requirements
■Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
■Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
■Stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently. Requires lifting and substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
■Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
■The worker is subject to environmental conditions. The worker is subject to extreme heat which may include temperatures above 100° for periods of more than one hour.
■Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
■The worker is subject to noise at times. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
■The worker is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
■The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SUNYgrad;71628]i’d go with that atwood job. even as an os they are a high paying outfit. if you decided to do some door knocking, don’t expect it to be a magical key to open doors in the gom. “pounding pavement” so they say only works if the companies are in their hiring quarter. right now, however, the 3rd quarter is coming up (july), so you may have some luck. whatever luck you many have, don’t forget to post it on here.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;71661]Absolutely![/QUOTE]

Applied for two jobs they had listed!! AB / OS and motorman!!

Thanks guys!!!

First off I did the same thing you did. But I am 56.

It’s not easy but the door knocking in Louisiana does work.

You might also do the rigzone.com job search as well.

There are 5 of us here that are 45+ and 3 of them got the job thru rigzone

Good luck and Godspeed

Calm seas and fair winds

Just got a call from ECO…cross everything… I’m going to add OS and Wiper as well.

Thanks to all!!!

ECO is “full” right now. Dammit.

International Offshore Services, LLC just emailed, hopefully they are not “FULL” as well.

Spoke to Capt Kevin Sweeny yesterday as well he seems trustworthy and stright forward. I’m going to give him a shot.

Try Hornbeck Offshore

Remember it’s summer time right now. There are lots of Cadets on their commercial summer cruise right now. They usually fill OS positions. Thus adding to crew compliment. Keeping plugging away by September some spots may open up at all the companies. It will also be the start of a new quarter companies will be adjusting their hiring quotas accordingly.

I will use my company as an example, of the hiring crisis that everyone is frustrated with. I have sat in our office and talked to the nice lady in personal. She tells me that almost every week she gets 200 to 300 applications and resumes, along with about as many phone calls, not to mention all the people that stop by the office and knock on the door. Just from the shear volume they are over whelmed, I know there job must suck and I would never want to be in the personal dept or HR. I am not trying to defend anyone but they just can not answer every single email. Try to put your self in thier position and how long you could be helpful and friendly when you have this number of people looking and only a few spots open every week.

The jobs will be coming soon, just remember that every company is emerging from 2 or 3 years of the worst times in recent history. We are in a election year with the president. Historicaly speaking election years are not that good for the oil field, especially when the out come is not necessarily on your side. [democratic president’s have not been favorable to the oil buisness] not to start a political argument but they have not been in the past. Most every company is building new boats or rigs, but they are not due out for several months or next year. With all these factors most companies are very cautious about over hiring. I know everyone gets frustrated for not being able to find work, but a little patience and being persistant next year you will be begging for time off…

I also have to agree 100% that knocking on doors will get you your best outcome. Sometimes just being there will get you a job. In the entry level positions like OS and deck hand sometimes they need some one right now because little johnny deck hand didn’t show up, or his girlfriend does not want him to go back offshore for 28 days or many other reasons. There are many times when these spots come up very short notice, and the person who just happens to be standing there will be the most likely to get them. I know everone cannot come to the GOM and hang out until johnny deckhand fails to show up for work, but being persistant does pay off.

I wish every one luck

Another problem with the “swamped” HR depts… The company’s like Hornbeck, (that I have applied to) SHOW 10 - 15 “OPEN” slots for employment, gee I wonder why they and others are getting mobbed…

Point is if YOU ARE NOT HIRING - Don’t advertise like you are??? Why would they do that??

At least ECO will say that they are not hiring…dammit…

Ah, time to fill out more apps for companys that “may” or “may not” ACTUALLY BE HIRING…

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;71911]Another problem with the “swamped” HR depts… The company’s like Hornbeck, (that I have applied to) SHOW 10 - 15 “OPEN” slots for employment, gee I wonder why they and others are getting mobbed…

Point is if YOU ARE NOT HIRING - Don’t advertise like you are??? Why would they do that??

At least ECO will say that they are not hiring…dammit…

Ah, time to fill out more apps for companys that “may” or “may not” ACTUALLY BE HIRING…[/QUOTE]

Hey now!! I applied for that slot at HOS!!! Wait your turn:mad: Just kiddin…