Osrv c/e

I have worked on an OSRV that is less than 500 tons for the past 9 years. Started as an oiler and now the C/E for the last 4 years with a DDE 4000hp. Now it is time to renew in a few months and I cant figure out if I will be able to upgrade. The vessel is in stand by mode near coastal (though I get day for day sea time) and with less than 4000hp. Can I sit for C/E limited or DDE unlimited or do I need to sail on a 4000hp or more vessel. If the OSRV leaves the area with an exemption I can’t sail as C/E due to not having an oceans endorsement with the DDE 4000hp.

I’m holding a DDE Unlimited w/ 500 GT restriction. Just tried to upgrade to 3rd Assist. Eng. Last year NMC approved me to sit for test but I was working alot and making $$$. After having to reapply, they refused me to test because I did not have 50% seatime on unlimited horsepower (4000 and up). I believe if you have at least 25% of your seatime on 4000 hp or greater, you can upgrade to DDE Unlimited HP. Get the checklist from the NMC website & pay attention to the seatime & horsepower requirements. I now have to get about 9 months seatime aboard vessel of over 4000 hp to sit for 3rd Assist. Also, its a real pain in the ass but you can submit an application to REC and they will evaluate you and send you a checklist of required items to upgrade to what you have applied for. My process took about 5 months.

Another route is if some of your time is not over 4000hp, you can sit for your 3rd with a HP limitation that is over 4000hp. You still take the unlimited test. You only have to show enough time over 4000hp later for restriction to be removed.

Another route is if some of your time is not over 4000hp, you can sit for your 3rd with a HP limitation that is over 4000hp. You still take the unlimited test. You only have to show enough time over 4000hp later for restriction to be removed.

A 3A/E is by definition unlimited … But only in relation to tonnage. I wish they would stop using the word unlimited for both tonnage and horsepower. It confuses a lot of people. I sailed with a guy who swore up and down that he had a Chief Unlimited and that there wasn’t anything he couldn’t sail on as Chief. I guess he didn’t notice the " (limited) " right after Chief Engineer. I have seen it on some USCG forms listed as Any HP which I think would be better.

Ya, I agree! Im holding unlimited hp license but nmc says i need more time on unlimited hp to upgrade to 3 a/e. Tonnage is irrelavent.

Why would the NMC tell you that? There isn’t anything in the CFRs that say you have to have X amount of time on unlimited HP to get a 3A/E. You may get an HP restriction but you should still be able to get an unlimited tonnage license.

The checklist they sent me back for my application says I must have 50% of my seatime on unlimited hp to upgrade from DDE Unl. to 3rd. without hp restriction. By the time the girl at nmc told me about hp restriction, I ran out of time for testing and just had to renew. Figured I’ll just try to get QMED job then get unlimited hp seatime for 3rd. Anyway, are there any positions aboard ships for 3rd with hp restriction?