Opinions and Editorials

…open up a new thread and blast away at me.

Let me state one thing first, I am not “blasting” away at you, I am writing legitimate criticism of biased and inaccurate material cloaked as reportage.

If those opinions were clearly described as opinion or editorial I wouldn’t be writing this. As much as I disagree with your opinions on this matter, they are yours to express.

“If you wrote in the article that WSF claimed in a social media post that the yacht “hit” the ferry” - WTF, that’s exactly what we wrote.

The headline of the videos that still exist online state “WSF vs Idiot Boater” and “Caught On Camera – Boater Crashes Into Washington State Ferry”

One implies there was some kind of contest, the other is patently false.

Compelling, factual, and short headlines are THE most difficult part of an article to write… and there are entire J school course that focus just on headline writing… and if you still disagree with me then act like a journalist yourself and find and cite the proof.

Proof of ?

I know that short and compelling headlines can sometimes be difficult, but they are not rocket science, just good (and often fun) wordsmithing. I learned that in a Journalism class titled “Headline Writing.”

“Plus you can’t put acronyms in a title because no one who lives further than 100 miles from your house knows WTF “WSF” means.”

“Vashon Ferry Rams Yacht” would be short, accurate [SIZE=3](sort of), and sensational enough to attract a lot of attention if you are hoping to have the story picked up or quoted by other media outlets. Vashon may not mean anything to people beyond Puget Sound but it is a key word for other media looking for current material. Ferry Rams Yacht attracts readers even if the event happened in Bumfukistan.

Follow the headline with the word Opinion or Editorial and have at it. You are then free to call everyone involved whatever you want and can bury inconvenient facts if they don’t contribute to the color of the content.

Just try and avoid playing the Professional Mariner card to prop up a story before fact checking has even begun. A few of us professional mariners saw instantly what was happening and were kind of amazed that so many others were so strongly opposing the facts that were so plainly visible.

This site is probably one of the very few places the lay reader can find facts and opinions first hand from professional mariners. It is too valuable and important a source to blur the distinction between fact and opinion.

[/SIZE]

The best headline would’ve been along the lines of “Washington State Ferry and Yacht Collide; No One Injured.”

But I think we’re sort of nitpicking, John did apologize about the headline on air. The site has done a wonderful job posting news. Just please stay away from any articles getting too click-baity. That’s one way to completely loose journalistic integrity.

[QUOTE=Steamer;193507]Let me state one thing first, I am not “blasting” away at you, I am writing legitimate criticism of biased and inaccurate material cloaked as reportage.

If those opinions were clearly described as opinion or editorial I wouldn’t be writing this. As much as I disagree with your opinions on this matter, they are yours to express.

The headline of the videos that still exist online state “WSF vs Idiot Boater” and “Caught On Camera – Boater Crashes Into Washington State Ferry”

One implies there was some kind of contest, the other is patently false.

Proof of ?

I know that short and compelling headlines can sometimes be difficult, but they are not rocket science, just good (and often fun) wordsmithing. I learned that in a Journalism class titled “Headline Writing.”

“Vashon Ferry Rams Yacht” would be short, accurate [SIZE=3](sort of), and sensational enough to attract a lot of attention if you are hoping to have the story picked up or quoted by other media outlets. Vashon may not mean anything to people beyond Puget Sound but it is a key word for other media looking for current material. Ferry Rams Yacht attracts readers even if the event happened in Bumfukistan.

Follow the headline with the word Opinion or Editorial and have at it. You are then free to call everyone involved whatever you want and can bury inconvenient facts if they don’t contribute to the color of the content.

Just try and avoid playing the Professional Mariner card to prop up a story before fact checking has even begun. A few of us professional mariners saw instantly what was happening and were kind of amazed that so many others were so strongly opposing the facts that were so plainly visible.

This site is probably one of the very few places the lay reader can find facts and opinions first hand from professional mariners. It is too valuable and important a source to blur the distinction between fact and opinion.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Ok but first I have to ask a question… have you ever been on a WSF?

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;193511]The best headline would’ve been along the lines of “Washington State Ferry and Yacht Collide; No One Injured.”

But I think we’re sort of nitpicking, John did apologize about the headline on air. The site has done a wonderful job posting news. Just please stay away from any articles getting too click-baity. That’s one way to completely loose journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words.

We have no to create create click bate stories (as the most popular maritime website on facebook does). Nor do we ever engineer real life events because we know they will get clicks. But we do intend to continue writing click bate titles to legitimate articles.

[QUOTE=john;193514]Ok but first I have to ask a question… have you ever been on a WSF?[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course, why else would I comment on the culture of the organization? I don’t write about stuff that I don’t know.

That is a story, not a headline.

But I think we’re sort of nitpicking, John did apologize about the headline on air.

Journalistically, it is a very large nit. One that crossed the line between reportage and editorializing. If people are not going to read a long headline how many are going to wade through a very long and difficult “sort of” apology. An apology need only have required, "My expert sources got it wrong, the ferry rammed the yacht despite the yacht having what non mariners describe as the “right of way.”

That’s one way to completely loose journalistic integrity.

Another way is to write sensationalist headlines above a story that is far more opinion than fact. The ferry story is capable of standing on its own merits, the rules that govern the ferry’s movements and the responsibility of its master are carved in stone. What should have happened is subject to a great deal of opinion and debate, but that is material for an op/ed piece or discussion thread once the facts are laid out clearly for all to see. This story was never presented that way, many of the professionals here seem to have been infected by the the audio background of the video. If the woman whose voice we all heard was a professional mariner she might have been asking why the ferry was not taking action to give way or avoid a collision and the “story” might have been completely different.

The fact that the “expert” advisors didn’t know the difference between a bow and a beam certainly does not contribute to journalistic integrity. That part of the process is called “fact checking” which, particularly in light of recent “fake news” scandals is more important than ever for budding journalists.

[QUOTE=john;193515]We have no to create create click bate stories (as the most popular maritime website on facebook does).[/QUOTE]

Chick bait stories on a maritime site? I guess if there is some way to attract hot babes to be our groupies then count me in but if they are the “tallship” types who splice their armpit hair then I’m outtahere!!

[QUOTE=c.captain;193553]Chick bait stories on a maritime site? I guess if there is some way to attract hot babes to be our groupies then count me in but if they are the “tallship” types who splice their armpit hair then I’m outtahere!![/QUOTE]

Relax, he said “click bait” … the Dauntless should be pretty good chick bait when you get rid of the Navy style accommodations and do something with that saloon. Think of all those cute little U-Dub marine bio majors.

Anyway, back on topic, there is a difference between click bait that does nothing other than attract the riff raff and well written stories that attract and hold the attention of “main stream” media outlets. When a good story is picked up by one of the majors it adds a lot of credibility to the source. That is why working hard to remain objective is so important when you have a message that might not get out any other way.

This site should and could be a prime source of good information. Leave the sensationalism and subjectivity to the rags. Not that a good editorial that whacks the anti Jones act crowd and our abysmal maritime policies is not called for but for it to have any credibility the source must be credible.

btw, what is “the most popular maritime website on facebook”?

seriously, just wondering…

I think he might be talking about the FB page “Humans at Sea” which is mostly just a page that posts cool pictures of ships, mariners, and the ocean. Run by Indians from what I can tell.

gCaptain FB page is very popular also, [U]255,744 likes as of now[/U]. Show your support remember to follow, like, comment, and share.

gCaptain twitter followers - 36,831 = Gold Award

Humans at sea twitter followers only - 439

The Maritime Executive FB page - 22,649

Splash 24/7 FB page 143,701

Probably a large difference in their constituencies.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;193561]I think he might be talking about the FB page “Humans at Sea” which is mostly just a page that posts cool pictures of ships, mariners, and the ocean. Run by Indians from what I can tell.[/QUOTE]

but no hot babes? why on earth would any male mariner ever want to go there unless they are from India and thus not real men?

seriously, is there any male from South Asia one could think of as being a real man with real manly essence?

You forgot Norway…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;193570]You forgot Norway…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;193561]I think he might be talking about the FB page “Humans at Sea” which is mostly just a page that posts cool pictures of ships, mariners, and the ocean. Run by Indians from what I can tell.[/QUOTE]

just went there and I am sickened by the sight…talk about squishiest of the squishy! How much happiness and sunshine can a person take for Christ’s sake?

I’ll stay right here thank you where I can still curse like a seaman and rail against our miserable industry. I have yet to meet a true mariner who wasn’t a bitcher in his heart and any one who comes across as all bubbles and delight is a phoney

[QUOTE=c.captain;193581]just went there and I am sickened by the sight…talk about squishiest of the squishy! How much happiness and sunshine can a person take for Christ’s sake?

I’ll stay right here thank you where I can still curse like a seaman and rail against our miserable industry. I have yet to meet a true mariner who wasn’t a bitcher in his heart and any one who comes across as all bubbles and delight is a phoney[/QUOTE]

You SIR can be quite a delight at times, me think.

[QUOTE=ombugge;193585]You SIR can be quite a delight at times, me think.[/QUOTE]

NYAH…in your hat!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;193570]You forgot Norway…[/QUOTE]

when did Norway relocate to the Indian Subcontinent? did they go for the cheap servant labor or the sunshine?

btw, how does Curry go with Codfish anyway and I bet it’s hell to find Glug or Lutefisk there this time of year

[QUOTE=c.captain;193586]
btw, how does Curry go with Codfish anyway and I bet it’s hell to find Glug or Lutefisk there this time of year[/QUOTE]

I always use a little curry when I make fish balls (cod) in white sauce, it’s very good.

[QUOTE=Kraken;193590]I always use a little curry when I make fish balls (cod) in white sauce, it’s very good.[/QUOTE]

Fish have balls?!?