Washington State ferries?

I been sailing unlicensed deck for about 20 years. Every time I pass through Seattle I find myself wondering about the WA ferries? Is there work there? Is it union? Hard to score? Would anyone with
a line on this deal be willing to bring me up to speed?

[QUOTE=godinabox;40856]I been sailing unlicensed deck for about 20 years. Every time I pass through Seattle I find myself wondering about the WA ferries? Is there work there? Is it union? Hard to score? Would anyone with
a line on this deal be willing to bring me up to speed?[/QUOTE]

I worked on the ferries for five years, from 1999 - 2004. At the time I hired on, it was a great place to work for the most part. Lots of money floating around and big expansion plans, fast passenger ferries, new terminals, etc. Six months after I hired on the state budget was gutted and the ferries have suffered ever since. Unions: Deck department folks are IBU and the deck officers are MMP. Snipes are MEBA. I wouldn’t mind going back to work for WSF if it was in the engine room, but I wouldn’t be too thrilled to go back on deck. I’d do it if I had to though.

There are some quality people who work on the boats, both unlicensed and licensed. Alas, there are some complete dain bramaged crazed f*****g morons who work on the boats. Some of the latter seem to migrate to management positions in the office, where they hate the boat people. The office people like to say that life would be great if it weren’t for those damn ferry boats and those damn ferry workers. The passengers, uh sorry I meant “customers”, are a royal pain in the ass at times. Other times they are great. The two runs at the extreme ends of the sound are the most mellow. Bainbridge Island to Seattle is the worst. Bremerton to Seattle is an hour long so there’s time for a break. Mukilteo is a madhouse so the time flies. Port Townsend to Keystone is very rough at times with lots of traffic so you feel like you’re on a real boat. The Vashon triangle is interesting because you can never remember which stop you’re going to (Fauntleroy to Vashon or Southworth?) and loading the boat for two stops can be fun. The islands up north are like that too. My favorite run was Point Defiance (Tacoma) to Tahlequah (Vashon Island). Small boat, fun to drive, very mellow regular commuters. I got to know a lot of the regulars who are now friends. I met my lovely wife on that run.

Since 9/11 things have really gotten interesting. There are cameras everywhere these days, so the office can watch you at work which is really fun.

They’re hiring deckies off the street these days is what I’ve heard. Go to the IBU office in Seattle and ask. Google the WSF website and you’ll find links to the unions and their contact info.

If you need BST and want to get paid to take it, hire on with the ferries and go through the orientation and then quit. Or, stay and enjoy dealing with the commuting public.

If you already hold an AB limited or higher, you’ll get better paying AB work right off the bat. You’ll work on-call at first, and bid for temporary and permanent job openings. If you want to wear a white shirt and stripes on those boats, you’ll need federal pilotage for Puget Sound and an unlimited tonnage mate (inland will do) or master’s license. You have to work there for at least a year before you can get on the Mate’s and Master’s seniority lists. If you come in with a license, they could care less, you’ll start off cleaning heads like everybody else while you wait for seniority, which sucks when you have none and really is nice when you have some.

If you want to work in the basement, I would suggest you go to the Seattle MEBA hall and get on the list for a wiper’s job. They do come up from time to time.

Horrible schedules make things brutal. There are people with 20 years in at WSF who have never had a Christmas off. But, in return for your loyal service to the masses they give you pretty good benefits considering what private sector companies offer. WSF has pension, deferred compensation, full medical (you pay a couple hundred a month I think), etc. But the state is starting to cut some of the perks like travel time and mileage, and the free ferry pass.

I think ABs are getting around 22 dollars and change per hour. Quartermaster and Bos’n billets are a dollar more. Officers get fairly shitty pay, the masters don’t even break six figures.

Big KING 5 TV investigation recently uncovered some interesting payroll abuses and so the company is under a hot spotlight at the moment, so I don’t expect that things will get better for labor any time soon.

Pros:
Unbelievably beautiful weather at times makes up for all the lousy days.
You’ll probably never break a sweat working there. I asked them where the paint locker was my first trip on the ferries and they looked at me like I was crazy!
You’ll meet some very interesting people, co-workers and passengers, uh, “customers”, alike.
It’s a state job.

Cons:
Really shitty weather at times makes you pay for all the beautiful days.
You have to clean up shit and piss and blood and vomit and I don’t think they give out penalty pay for that anymore.
You’ll meet some crazy, insane, whacked out lunatics, co-workers and passengers, uh, “customers”, alike.
It’s a state job.
The customer is always right.

Thank you. Really nice of you to take the time. I’m back east, thinking about migrating into the mist
and your info is a huge help.