Old Salt Is here?

The Navy Old Salt?

[QUOTE=Willow;31005]The Navy Old Salt?[/QUOTE]

uhhh… ok

[QUOTE=SailorDaniel;31011]uhhh… ok[/QUOTE]

I would like to take this opportunity and quote Steve Foster

“[B]WHAT???[/B]”

[QUOTE=Shellback;31015]I would like to take this opportunity and quote Steve Foster

“[B]WHAT???[/B]”[/QUOTE]
[B]I saw it when he first posted and thought I would give somebody else a chance to witticise…[/B]

check it out??

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/prs-tpic/old-salt.htm

that’s me top row second from the right!!:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=seadawg;31020]check it out??

that’s me top row second from the right!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
[B]In 1877? You must be the real Benjamin Button…Nice beard…[/B]

[QUOTE=stevefoster;31019][B]I saw it when he first posted and thought I would give somebody else a chance to witticise…[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the opportunity Steve. Felt a little pressure going in, cause you make it look so easy!:slight_smile:

Seadawg, why didn’t you tell us you were the original Seadawg?

**always liked to look at this old photo…everyone in their “shore clothes” with their “bosun’s calls” around their necks…brings tears to my eyes!!:):):slight_smile:

**wonder what it was like to go ashore and “crack Jenny’s teacup” with this gang??

I noticed the cat, was that a mascot or rodent patrol?

[QUOTE=Shellback;31026]I noticed the cat, was that a mascot or rodent patrol?[/QUOTE]

bet the cat has “rat breath”??how about in the back row the bird, base fiddle, and semapfore flag??they really knew how to dress up a photograph in those days!!

I didn’t even see the bird until you pointed it out…Pretty cool pic, the guys on the boat all enjoyed it…thanks

It looks like that one guy is choking that cat, better than his chicken I suppose…

[QUOTE=seadawg;31020]check it out??

that’s me top row second from the right!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Wow, your younger than I thought SeaDawg

[QUOTE=Shellback;31031]I didn’t even see the bird until you pointed it out…Pretty cool pic, the guys on the boat all enjoyed it…thanks

It looks like that one guy is choking that cat, better than his chicken I suppose…[/QUOTE]

I saw the bird at first but then convinced myself it was some kind of chimney sweep… Then I read the rest of the thread and since bird was the only second opinion I’m goin with that.

Obviously MWR was selling “no shave chits” like they did on my first westpac. (I know theres that one guy out there who thinks I’m serious so… JK)

Which one do you suppose was the Skipper?

[QUOTE=SailorDaniel;31052]Which one do you suppose was the Skipper?[/QUOTE]

**this gang didn’t command…they and those like them “made the ship”!!USS Hartford a warship was 229’ w/ a complement 302!!

<TABLE border=2 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD width=“62%”>

<CENTER>[B]“OLD SALTS”[/B]</CENTER>

Photo taken on Flagship U.S.S. HARTFORD at Hampton Roads, in winter of 1876 by order of Chaplain David H. Tribue, U.S.N.

<CENTER>[B]WHO THEY ARE[/B]</CENTER>

[B]REAR: Reading from left to right:[/B] Edward Nash, B.M.; David Clark, B.M.; William McNulty, Sea; William Harrington, Q.G.; and Albert Allen, G.M.

[B]SECOND ROW: Reading from left to right:[/B] Peter Eagen, B.M.; Isaac Turner, Sea; James Connell, Sch.M.

[B]FRONT ROW: Reading from left to right:[/B] James H. Bell, Sea; Thomas Trueman, Q.M.

<CENTER>[B]THE RECORDS SHOW[/B]</CENTER>

<DD>Edward Nash, who served as boatswain’s mate in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, was last discharged November 25, 1881, at the age of 48 8/12 years.

<DD>David Clark, who served as boatswain’s mate in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy in 1855 and was last discharged July 15, 1889, as master-at-arms.

<DD>William McNulty, who served as captain of the forecastle in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy on March 24, 1844, and was last discharged January 12, 1885, as seaman.

<DD>William Harrington, who served as quarter gunner in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy in 1853, and was last discharged September 21, 1877, as seaman.

<DD>Albert Allen, who served as gunner’s mate in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, was last discharged from the service on November 5, 1886, after completing 32 years 6 months and 4 days service.

<DD>Peter Eagen, who served as captain of the Afterguard in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy December 12, 1856, and died in the service on March 31, 1879, while serving as boatswain’s mate.

<DD>Isaac Turner, who served as seaman in the “HARTFORD” 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy in 1831, and was last discharged December 8, 1880.

<DD>James Connell, who served as schoolmaster in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, first enlisted in the Navy July 29, 1845, and was last discharged February 27, 1889, as schoolmaster, at 63 years of age.

<DD>James H. Bell, who served as seaman in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877 was last discharged from the service on December 4, 1879, at 60 years of age after about 18 years service.

<DD>Thomas Trueman, who served as quartermaster in the “HARTFORD” in the winter of 1876-1877, died in the service on March 9, 1880 at the age of 54 years.</DD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

**as a side note the USS Hartford was Adm. Farragut’s flagship.

Old Salt and Young Sailor arm and arm… back in the days before “don’t ask, don’t tell” there was “Yes Chief, these pipes are clean”

[QUOTE=seadawg;31025]
[/QUOTE]

You know you are a old salty when you have a parrot.

[QUOTE=seadawg;31025]

[/QUOTE]

Top right… Is that guy holding a monkey? And I don’t see the parrot. Or is the parrot the monkey?

I still think it looks like a chimney sweep or something for cleanign those old stacks. I think you may be onto something with the monkey idea though Mikey. Looks more like that than a parot

[QUOTE=Jon;31062]

Old Salt and Young Sailor arm and arm… back in the days before “don’t ask, don’t tell” there was “Yes Chief, these pipes are clean”[/QUOTE]

The “old salt” looks to be a Master at Arms and he’s taking the young guy in for some sort of Liberty abuse…

[QUOTE=Shellback;31077]The “old salt” looks to be a Master at Arms and he’s taking the young guy in for some sort of Liberty abuse…[/QUOTE]

Nice work SB. The young fellow must have been “Educating Himself” *Bullet Point #5 on the Sign.