A photo posted for no good reason at all

Just because I want to and hope it will spark an interesting conversation

What stories lie behind these faces? What tales can they tell?

Certainly one thing is obvious…the black faces of the poor miserable stokers!

I also like the dog…

Man, they all had 'staches too! Just think of the stories they can tell.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

When men were men and women were nurses? No, better not go there.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Swampfox;70295]Man, they all had 'staches too![/QUOTE]

Indeed sir…yes indeed! Pretty much everyone of them to a man (and maybe the lady too…I can’t quite tell?) Weren’t the 1800’s just an awesome time to be a guy?

btw, I like the guy right behind the master. It looks like his head is sticking right out of the captain’s hat and the goofy look on the fellow’s face just makes it icing on the cake! Must be the cadet :wink:

[QUOTE=c.captain;70308]btw, I like the guy right behind the master. It looks like his head is sticking right out of the captain’s hat and the goofy look on the fellow’s face just makes it icing on the cake! Must be the cadet ;-)[/QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that remark.:wink:

I honestly need to ask why people didn’t ever smile in photos taken in the old timey daze?

I mean, everybody looks just downright miserable in this shot but it’s cool old ship they’re sitting on…they must have had such a large crew to keep the mahogany woodwork varnished and the brass all shiny!

The floggings will continue until the morale improves! Now back to work with the lot of ya!

I don’t think they smiled because the cameras back in those days took forever to pick up the exposure. Now it’s a split second, but was several seconds then. If they tried to smile for that long the picture would probably come out blurry.

[QUOTE=c.captain;70322]I honestly need to ask why people didn’t ever smile in photos taken in the old timey daze?

I mean, everybody looks just downright miserable in this shot but it’s cool old ship they’re sitting on…they must have had such a large crew to keep the mahogany woodwork varnished and the brass all shiny!

The floggings will continue until the morale improves! Now back to work with the lot of ya![/QUOTE]

From what I’ve been told, it had a lot to do with the slow film speed. The lens was open for a matter of seconds, not a fraction of a second like we have now.

How many vessel still have a dog or cat aboard?

I Looooove the dog! My captain said we couldn’t have one on the ship. I hear they’re nice to have on out there.

[QUOTE=sailorgal;70328]I Looooove the dog! My captain said we couldn’t have one on the ship. I hear they’re nice to have on out there.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been on one vessel in Alaska where we had two border collie puppies named Gus and Maddie who grew up on the bridge plus another big oafe of a dog named Dudley also on there once.

Also had a great cat named Diggidy on a survey vessel I ran. He was rescued from becoming Gator lunch in Port Arthur and also grew up onboard. He used to love to lay on top of the radar at night

Loved all of them and hope to be able to have another animal aboard again someday. An animal aboard really brings a crew together.

My captain on a tanker that i worked on told stories of having a dog on a ship previous

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

My captain on a tanker that i worked on told stories of having a dog on his previous ship. The DEU would pick up the dog crap. The dog figured it out and would crap in front of his S/R. He loved rough weather as he would slide in his bed across the bridge . It all came to an end when he bit the gal on the dock at an oil terminal after she got into it with one of the crew. Bad dog

Sorry about the duplicate post… Damn iPhone

The DEU would clean up after the dog so the dog started crapping in the passageway outside his S/R. The dog loved rough weather as he would slide across the bridge in his bed. He down fall was biting the gal on the dock at an oil terminal after she got into into it with some crew.

I just came to the conclusion that the guy with his head sticking out of the captain’s hat is the SUNY engine cadet. The rather uptight fellow to his left is the deck cadet from KP!

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;70310]Hey, I resemble that remark.;)[/QUOTE]

I have deduced that the guy with his head sticking out of the captain’s hat is in fact a SUNY engine cadet. The somewhat uptight fellow with the bowtie and big ears to his left is the deck cadet from KP. I further deduce he is also a member of the band company by the constipated look on his face.

Huzzaah!

[B]Hey C.capt… where did you get the photo?

Duke of Cornwall
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1898-1922 - 1,540 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1928)

???[/B]

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;70380][B]Hey C.capt… where did you get the photo?

Duke of Cornwall
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1898-1922 - 1,540 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1928)

???[/B][/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding…we have a winner! The ship is in fact the DUCK OF CORNWALL (1898-1922).

The photo is from Simplon Postcards

The dog however remains unidentified…

& speaking of dogs…here’s another pic I had to post for no good reason…(feel free add caption of your own choosing)

my entry is:

“goddammit…somebody give me a cigarette. I can barely breath in here!”

Red Bull energy drink helps me get through those 72 hour watches.

I don’t always drink beer on watch, but when I do I choose Dos Equis stay thirsty sailors!