Oicnw question

I’ve been looking through the archives and what I found just added more questions. I’m trying to get my 1600 ton mate and I have all the sea time I need, the oicnw assessments can I do all of the on the vessel or do I have to take some courses as well? Thanks for your help everyone.

I think they just changed them to where you can go straight to the CG exams once your application is approved. That said, all your assessments must be submitted with your app, and they can be done aboard ship, or in some cases a simulator if need be.

Go to Uscg./mil/nmc for a checklist.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

Some classes are still required. GMDSS, ARPA, and BRM at least. I think I’m forgetting one…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;69938]Some classes are still required. GMDSS, ARPA, and BRM at least. I think I’m forgetting one…[/QUOTE]

Medical Care Provider

Probably advanced fire fighting too.

After I wrote the initial reply, I started thinking I should have edited the post.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

Just go to www.uscg.mil/Nmc and print the checklist. Gmdss and arpa is not required but u do need to get it.

Ok sorry I should have made my post a little clearer. I know I have to take fire fighting and BRM and what not. My question is all the classes like ship construction and ship stability and all the other classes you need for oicnw is there any I have to take a class for or can I just get the assessments signed off aboard a vessel?

[QUOTE=skycowboy;69946]Medical Care Provider[/QUOTE]

Not required.

Correct. You only need the assessments.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.