OICNW help

Yes I know another one. Yes I have used the search feature. Looking for some help from fellow hawsepipers.

I am getting ready to submit my assessments. I know finally… The question Is, how did you guys submit proof of “no less than 180 days of seagoing training service”?? To the NMC.

My captain said just have the office right a officially letter with the companies letterhead saying exactly that, sounds too easy.

Let me know how you did it!

Thanks

[QUOTE=jmad;146888]Yes I know another one. Yes I have used the search feature. Looking for some help from fellow hawsepipers.

I am getting ready to submit my assessments. I know finally… The question Is, how did you guys submit proof of “no less than 180 days of seagoing training service”?? To the NMC.

My captain said just have the office right a officially letter with the companies letterhead saying exactly that, sounds too easy.

Let me know how you did it!

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I assume you are talking STCW? If you submit seatime on a vessel subject STCW, then you have met that by default.

Man it don’t think it will even matter now. I just read where RFPNW is a perquisite to the mates license…impossible on my tug. So I’m screwed hope I read that wrong but doesn’t look like it. Although it wasn’t on the checklist. I hate this crap!!!

[QUOTE=jmad;146892]Man it don’t think it will even matter now. I just read where RFPNW is a perquisite to the mates license…impossible on my tug. So I’m screwed hope I read that wrong but doesn’t look like it. Although it wasn’t on the checklist. I hate this crap!!![/QUOTE]

Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy, MPT, and a few other schools, offer RFPNW assessments on simulators or their own vessels, and also OICNW assessments. The schools have people that can look at your seatime and assessments, and tell you what you need. Of course, its usually a good idea to hire a USCG license consultant anyway. There is no good reason to do this the hard way.

Everyone else has to get through the STCW maze of requirements and mandatory courses, so can you. It just takes time and money.

Yeah I know, frustrating for sure. I hope there is a way around the RFPNW. Any suggestions on a consultant to drop this mess off with?

I still don’t see RFPNW on the checklist for OICNW 500GRT or more at the operational level…maybe I’m missing it.

[QUOTE=jmad;146897]Yeah I know, frustrating for sure. I hope there is a way around the RFPNW. Any suggestions on a consultant to drop this mess off with?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if there is a way around RFPNW, but I really doubt it.

There were a couple of threads about license consultants a year or two ago that named and talked about most of them. One good license consultant is Chuck Kakuska at www.seakslicensing.com

I agree with Tugsailor. You just need to get the RFPNW done. Print it off the web and have the same DE sign off the topics one by one. The captain on my ATB is currently doing it for the AB and the barge ballast AB. I am pretty sure you WILL need this for your license upgrade. There is no reason to buck the tide on this subject. Get it done and move forward. OR as Tugsailor said…go to one of the schools that offer it and pay someone to sign you off. There is always a way to get qualifications done in this industry. It may take some time and $$, but it can be done. I am a hawsepipe sailer just like you. I have had to fight my way to the top. The industry, whether we like it or not, is geared towards the Academy kids. The quals and training we hawsepipe sailors have to get, buy, beg, plead and steal are spoon-fed to the academy kids. It fucking sux. But that’s the way of it. Get the signatures and submit the package. Good luck to you. Stay safe out there salty one.

If your going for oicnw why do you need Rfpnw? I don’t see it as a requirement for oicnw, but I’m often blind to the obvious:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_62_web.pdf

Can you apply for a license/oicnw under the old rules? I’m pretty sure you can, like by going right to a 500-ton master? Pretty painless process in comparison. And it just requires the Rfpnw assessments that you should be able to do on most vessels and not a whole course.

The issue is this: 360 days of seagoing service as part of an approved training program, which includes onboard training that meets the requirements of Section A-II/1 of STCW C How the hell can you hawsepipe?

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_63_web.pdf?list2=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_63_web.pdf&B1=GO! is stcw for master 500-<3000 that’s probably the best bet since your time started before March 2914?

I fall under the the old rules yes before march 2014. I can’t apply for master 500grt though.

1080 days of service as OICNW on vessels operating in oceans, near- coastal and/or Great Lakes, OR 720 days provided 360 days are while serving as Chief Mate

I don’t meet that. Not sailing as an AB.

I do see what the other issue is with 360 days. I thought I could just do the 180 required for the OINCW. Which I have shit looks like I might of done a lot work for nothing!

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_12-14_oicnw_signed_28apr14.pdf

Well after reading all night Long I don’t think I need the 360 days in the approved program. (Page 5 there is a big OR ) under required sea service. Would of been easier if this OR was on the checklist!! the hawsepipe could still be alive.

Still haven’t found anything on the RFPNW though which makes me believe it’s not required for OINCW 500GRT or more at operational level.

Little update. Called NMC today.

No RFPNW is needed.
The 360 days of time in a program Is an alternate route not required. (No OR on checklist where there should be)

Hawsepipe is alive and well as of now.

If the tug you are on is over 101 GRT then all you have to do is print out the 36 page assessment and, assuming your captain has atleast a 500 ton masters license, sign you off. If not just take the 1 day class.

Pretty much every maritime school offers it. Bite the bullet and pay. Once you get that 500 ticket, you will make that money back in no time. It’s an investment in your future.

I think it’s pretty much safe to say the NMC won’t issue you your 500/1600 without having it.

Called NMC today RFPNW is not required.

[QUOTE=jmad;146892]Man it don’t think it will even matter now. I just read where RFPNW is a perquisite to the mates license…impossible on my tug. [/QUOTE]

It’s not impossible. There is no longer a requirement that the vessel service is obtained on and he assessments are done on be over 200 GRT, and inland service is acceptable. More important for you, it’s not required for OICNW, see page 15 of Enclosure 2 here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2014/nvic-02-14_Grandfathering_final_with_encls_20140122.pdf

[QUOTE=jmad;146888]The question Is, how did you guys submit proof of “no less than 180 days of seagoing training service”?? [/QUOTE]

There is no requirement for “seagoing training service” (whatever that is). There is a requirement for at least 180 days “performing bridgewatchkeeping duties under the surpervision of the master or a qualified officer.”

[QUOTE=z-drive;146902]If your going for oicnw why do you need Rfpnw? I don’t see it as a requirement for oicnw, but I’m often blind to the obvious:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_62_web.pdf The issue is this: 360 days of seagoing service as part of an approved training program, which includes onboard training that meets the requirements of Section A-II/1 of STCW C How the hell can you hawsepipe?[/QUOTE]

Go back and look at that checklist again. An approved program with 360 days of service is one of two ways to get OICNW, it refers to academies and other approved comprewhensive programs (e.g. PMI). The other is listed immediately above, 3 years of sea time (aka the hawsepipe).

Understood, the checklist is no substitute for the CFR’s but it should be corrected to have an “or” like the others when something like that applies.