OICNW at the SIU's Paul Hall Center

Has anybody here gone through the SIU’s OICNW program or could somebody take a look at their description of the pre-requisites and give me their interpretation? It looks like you either need to complete a few pre-req courses and one year of sea time to get into the 16 week program and you are credited 720 days of sea time towards 3rd mate, or you have to take the pre-req courses and already have the required time for 3rd mate (1080 days). Any opinions, interpretations, or facts?

The info is at

http://www.seafarers.org/phc/courses/deck.xml

scroll down to, Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (Including Sea Service).

Thanks.

There are LOTS of prereqs including having completed a whole lower level program of theirs.
On the time issue you ask about you do their 16 week OICNW program and then do One Year at sea (6 months of which is UI on the bridge) and you’ll wind up with 720 days sea time (720) ACCORDING TO THEM.
Check it all against the USCG approved courses list, or maybe write Jim Cavo.

[I][quote=rzwllm;23774]Has anybody here gone through the SIU’s OICNW program or could somebody take a look at their description of the pre-requisites and give me their interpretation? …[/quote][/I]

I strongly recommend that you contact SIU and ask about the program. I beleive the information on the web site is dated and the approval of the program has expired.

Thanks for the replies! I know the information is current, it having just been published in the January 2010 edition of the Seafarer’s Log. I guess my main question (for Mr. Cavo or anybody who would know) is if it is possible to get 720 days of sea credit towards a license through a 16 week program? Has anybody heard of such a thing?

Generally, it’s not possible. The aawrding of 2 years was based on the how the program requiredf you to get the remiaining one year. In order to qualify for completing the program, the remaining one year had to be as a trainee under the program. It was a comprehensive program of 16 weeks of training ashore and one year of training at sea, it wasn’t just 2 years of sea time for 16 weeks ashore training.

Mr. Cavo,

So what you’re telling me is that you would need to complete one year (360 days) of [I]actual[/I] sea time as a trainee in the program and then complete 16 weeks of classroom/simulator training for which you are [I]credited[/I] 720 days of sea time, coming to a grand total of 3 years (1080 days) which count towards your license? So you would only need one [I]actual[/I] year of seatime? Sounds like a good deal and a hell of a shortcut.

[quote=rzwllm;23889]Mr. Cavo,

So what you’re telling me is that you would need to complete one year (360 days) of [I]actual[/I] sea time as a trainee in the program and then complete 16 weeks of classroom/simulator training for which you are [I]credited[/I] 720 days of sea time, coming to a grand total of 3 years (1080 days) which count towards your license? So you would only need one [I]actual[/I] year of seatime? Sounds like a good deal and a hell of a shortcut.[/quote]

Dude, step away from the bong!! No, that’s not what he’s telling you, nor is it what I told you, nor is that what is on the link YOU provided. If your reading comprehension and math is this bad, you might want to go to Sylvan before Piney Point…he he, just kidding!:smiley:

Let me break this down for ya: As I read the link, it appears the program is not really 16 weeks long…it’s 1 year and 16 weeks long, (16 weeks classes+1 year at sea)–or 16 months long…for which you’ll get 24 months credit, ACCORDING TO THEIR WEBSITE. The truth may be another matter.
Cheers!

[quote=rzwllm;23889]Mr. Cavo,

So what you’re telling me is that you would need to complete one year (360 days) of [I]actual[/I] sea time as a trainee in the program and then complete 16 weeks of classroom/simulator training for which you are [I]credited[/I] 720 days of sea time, coming to a grand total of 3 years (1080 days) which count towards your license? So you would only need one [I]actual[/I] year of seatime? Sounds like a good deal and a hell of a shortcut.[/quote]

It’s not sea time per se, its shipboard training. And the training ashore is inter-mixed weith the time at sea. But it’s moot as to this program, it’s expired. However, a similar program is offered at Pacific Maritime Institute for a license as Mate 500/1600 Tons. Their program is also approved for two-thirds of the three years of required sea service, and they place for you the remaining one year of shipboard training.

Also, if you have the three years of sea timne, or will get them in the near future, you can still get everything else you need from SIU, they have current, valid approvals for each of the courses that were part of the now expired program, and also have approval to conduct the required assessments for OICNW.