Offshore Wind Farm vessels

BRAVEWIND navigating the SUTORS of CROMARTY , inbound NIGG ENERGY PARK with turbine blades for MORAY EAST OWF. Photo : David Meek ©

The ISLAND CROWN working close to the HZ-A jacket in the Hollandse Kust Zuid Wind farm project.
Photo : Flying Focus Aerial Photography www.flyingfocus.nl ©

Fall pipe/stone dumper. Mostly engaged in the Offshore wind industry now:

The LIVING STONE inbound between the breakwaters of IJmuiden Photo : Pieter van der Valk ©

Cable storeage barge and tug, also mainly occupied in carrying inter-array cables and other equipment for offshore cable laying vessels:

NKT cable storage barge NKT AGRIPPINA pushed by NKT Pusher DALTON passing Baanhoekbridge. Photo : Arie Boer (c)

A common sight along many sea lanes these days.
Ships stacked high with wind turbine blades:

DrewryThe ADRIATICBORG enroute from China to Gdynia loaded with blades for windturbines
It is not a one way traffic. Wind turbine blades, transition pieces and other equipment for the Offshore Wind Industry are frequently: made in different parts of the world from where they are installed.

Hamburg-based United Heavy Lift (UHL) has been contracted to transport 20 monopiles and 22 transition pieces for the Akita Noshiro wind farm, Japan’s first large-scale offshore wind project.

Even to the Great Lakes, USA:

A cargo ship bringing wind turbine blades. Each of the three trucks has special long trailer to carry one blade.

But 154 turbine blades in one go is NOT something you see every day:

The arrival at the port of Ferrol, yesterday, two days before the scheduled date, of the ship “Zhi Xian Zhi Xing” with a cargo of 154 wind turbine blades manufactured by the Danish company Vestas in China, has attracted attention given nature of freight and provenance, after nearly fifty days of travel from Dafeng port.

The ship “Zhi Xian Zhi Xing”, which translates as “the star to the Constitution”, is managed by United Heavy Lift and flagged in the Marshall Islands. In service since 2018, it is a ship of 18,302 gross tons and 26,000 deadweight tons, in a hull of 159 m in length and 43 m in beam, with the superstructure and engine room forward. It has an obstacle-free deck of 6,020 square meters, which is one of the largest in its class, and a dynamic positioning system. IMO code 9830769.

1 Like

I am in no way, shape, or form a professional mariner like most of you. However, I am very involved/invested in publicly-listed maritime shipping companies, with a special focus on Jones Act petroleum market. OSG was my largest personal holding up until the Saltchuk offer (which was expected, just maybe not so low at $3, but OSG having a bit of hard time right now with so many ships laid up, no?). Offshore wind vessels that are Jones Act compliant are totally on the radar of many companies right now. There is a large amount of money set to be thrown into this market. Dominion has their WTIV upcoming, but at a cost of $500M, not a cheap ship lol. It is already getting business (see attached link). All these turbines will need maintenance, etc. Seems like a great opportunity for Jones Act activity for crew transfer vessels for maintenance, and transport ships, barges, etc, to get the pieces to the WTIV (rather then the WTIV loading up the pieces itself and than moving to the installation site). Rock dropping ships to protect the foundations another area, and Great Lakes Dredge and Dock working with European designers for these ships can assure good Jones Act work, etc. I may end up being, wrong, but from an investment standpoint and an interest in the Jones Act, offshore wind is the new black lol. Thanks to al the professional mariners and the work you all do :+1:

1 Like
1 Like

OSG just signed a one year contract with BP on the West Coast for one of their newer Jones Act ATBs. Vessel was going through Panama Canal last day or so About 190k barrels with modern Intercon.

1 Like

I saw that too. Thank you for the heads up on employer :+1: I have a Marine Traffic account and follow every OSG and KMI and Crowley vessel. I didn’t know what an ATB was until about 3 years ago when I started learning about Jones Act trade, etc. OSG has 6 of their handysize product tankers in layup right now, and 2 more not in layup are at anchorage such that I assume they are not actively employed right now. They announce their 2nd quarter financial results next Friday and likely to be ugly. They were supposed to turn things around in 3rd quarter, but so far not looking good. COVID really kicked them in the balls, unfortunately.

Haven’t owned OSG in decades. Still follow the rigs that may or may not be working. And right, Dominion making a nice push for the turbines and infrastructure. Not cheap, The two they have constructed are “Learning platforms” that are operating… Intent is to go much larger as you know. Smart to partner with the Europeans early on that know the business . Jones Act work to follow down the road.

2 Likes

Optimism is in the air:

It is important to stay with the time and rapid development in the Offshore Wind industry:

The MPI RESOLUTION standing on her legs at Vlaardingen Photo : Hermann Hazenberg ©

The record of 154 blades didn’t last long:

With a total of 168 wind turbine blades on board of the semisubmersible vessel MV SUN RISE (SAL acting as Commercial Agent of PanOcean Ltd. for European countries) SAL sets a new personal record. Each blade measures about 55 m in length and weighs 9.6 t

Vestas SOV Launches in Spain

Edda Wind’s service operation vessel (SOV) EDDA BRINT has been launched at Astilleros Balenciaga in Spain. In October 2019, Edda Wind announced shipbuilding contracts for four commissioning service operation vessels (CSOVs). That order was subsequently changed to two CSOVs and two SOVs.The two SOVs are under construction at Astilleros Balenciaga. The second SOVs is expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2022. Back in March 2021, Edda Wind ordered two more CSOVs at Astilleros Gondan shipyard where the first two CSOVs are being built.
Source : offshorewind

1 Like

Edda Brint is being built to fulfil a 14-year contract with MHI Vestas on the Seagreen project in the UK.

The offshore wind sector is a big growth sector for UK seafarers, because of Brexit companies are allegedly having to hire more seafarers from the UK for vessels that work in UK waters all the time.

2 Likes

Kind of an Offshore Wind Vessel since it is intended to carry electricity from Offshore Wind Farms to shore consumers:

Sounds farfetched??
Agree, but who knows what will be feasible in the future. (??)

CTV NJORD MAGNI outbound navigating the Westerschelde Photo : Huib Lievense ©

The TOPAZ BELAYA navigating the Westerschelde Photo : Mateo Witte (c)

1 Like

Bigger turbines require bigger cranes and upgraded installation vessels:
https://www.deme-group.com/news/deme-offshore-prepares-next-generation-turbines-major-crane-upgrade-sea-installer

2 Likes

The EDDA MISTRAL moored in Den Helder Photo : Geert Woord ©