Offshore Oilfield Jobs for Widwest non-engineers

I’m originally from Houston but went to school in Michigan and now I want to move to Midland to work in the oil and gas industry. I don’t have an engineering degree but did graduate college with good grades. I know that I can find work as a roustabout or rig hand, but I was wondering if there are any other type of entry-level oilfield jobs for non-engineers? I don’t mind working as a hand initially (maybe 6 months) but would like to eventually move up into some higher level operations type position. Do you need an engineering degree to be an operators’ assistant (coiled tubing, cementing, frac)?

[QUOTE=homeboy760;144908]I’m originally from Houston but went to school in Michigan and now I want to move to Midland to work in the oil and gas industry. I don’t have an engineering degree but did graduate college with good grades. I know that I can find work as a roustabout or rig hand, but I was wondering if there are any other type of entry-level oilfield jobs for non-engineers? I don’t mind working as a hand initially (maybe 6 months) but would like to eventually move up into some higher level operations type position. Do you need an engineering degree to be an operators’ assistant (coiled tubing, cementing, frac)?[/QUOTE]

Your best bet would be try and get on with a service company (NOV, Schlumber, etc.) to get your foot in the door. If you are a good worker you will get picked up by one of the their clients.

Just remember right now the market is looking pretty dim…

Kurt