NYT Article US East Coast O&G Exploration

NYT today page A12 - “White House Opens Door to Exploring Atlantic For Oil”. Reports that rules for seismic survey of area have been approved. Says does not approve drilling but hints it would also be approved in future. Notes “congressional” ban on drilling in this area expires in 2017. Describes the area of interest from Delaware to Florida.

Where will the new Fourchon be?

“the only previous exploration in the area produced 51 dry holes before ending”

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;141177]“the only previous exploration in the area produced 51 dry holes before ending”[/QUOTE]

When was that?

[QUOTE=KPChief;141176]NYT today page A12 - “White House Opens Door to Exploring Atlantic For Oil”. Reports that rules for seismic survey of area have been approved. Says does not approve drilling but hints it would also be approved in future. Notes “congressional” ban on drilling in this area expires in 2017. Describes the area of interest from Delaware to Florida.

Where will the new Fourchon be?[/QUOTE]

In the late '70s, early '80s, Davisville Depot was the “Fourchon” of the East Coast.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;141177]“the only previous exploration in the area produced 51 dry holes before ending”[/QUOTE]
There were more than 51 dry holes in the North Sea before they found anything promising. Technology has come a long way since then.

Hopefully in Va!

[QUOTE=injunear;141179]In the late '70s, early '80s, Davisville Depot was the “Fourchon” of the East Coast.

• Updated - - -

There were more than 51 dry holes in the North Sea before they found anything promising. Technology has come a long way since then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my stereo system was a cabinet about 5 feet long… 8 track on one end, record player in the middle and top it off with AM/FM at the other end. It used vacuum tubes… I think they just threw darts at a chart and drilled.

I have heard they expect the East Atlantic to be similar to West Africa. The beauty of it is they have allowed for seismic work to go forward… Sans the vacuum tubes.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;141186]Yeah, my stereo system was a cabinet about 5 feet long… 8 track on one end, record player in the middle and top it off with AM/FM at the other end. It used vacuum tubes… I think they just threw darts at a chart and drilled.

I have heard they expect the East Atlantic to be similar to West Africa. The beauty of it is they have allowed for seismic work to go forward… Sans the vacuum tubes.[/QUOTE]
I assume your W Africa comparison refers to the baksheesh. Between Watsons bunch and the global worming crew and other parasites in congress, billions will be paid off.

Seismic technology has grown by leaps and bounds. Techniques back in the '60s and '70s weren’t just throwing darts but were crude. In '76 I worked for Mobil with the first successful long gun arrays. We shot the east coast and the records looked so good the sent us to the North Sea to reshoot many areas and velocity surveys. With 3D and seismic flotillas now in use, your 8 track reference is not too far off. We loaded and unloaded tractor trailer loads of magnetic recording tape. Now days that same amount of data can be loaded on a zip drive.

The Usual Suspects over on Democratic Underground were wailing and gnashing their teeth and rending their garments about the effect of the sonic cannons on aquatic mammals.

Since it was DU, I didn’t bother to point out that most of the whale and porpoise beachings occur out in California and along the East Coast where there is ZERO acoustic surveying of the seabed,(at least commercially…God knows what the Navy does and where it does it).

No point in throwing facts in the way of a tree-hugger working himself up into an double-Hindu eco-freakout, yes?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think it’s MY turn to fire up the pirogue and tow all the dead dolphins out to sea from the flats around Port Fourchon today…

If they want to use Davisville they better hurry. The wind project just grabbed 14 acres and I think an option to expand. With that, the car depot and the shipyard they’ll need to come up with some quality frontage.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;141182]Hopefully in Va![/QUOTE]

Coulda sworn there was already a thread about this. Deja-vu, all over again!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;141209]If they want to use Davisville they better hurry. The wind project just grabbed 14 acres and I think an option to expand. With that, the car depot and the shipyard they’ll need to come up with some quality frontage.[/QUOTE]

We have a small office at that car depot and dock the Okeanos Explorer there, too.

It’s next to impossible to get a cab out of that damned place!

The economic development council from Georgetown, SC just took a trip to Fourchon last month to see the impacts and advantages of such a port opening in Georgetown.

Va would be nice! 2 airports to fly out of and they’re pretty close to Norfolk/Portsmouth. The Eastern Shore may be a little father though.

QUOTE=injunear;141179]In the late '70s, early '80s, Davisville Depot was the “Fourchon” of the East Coast.

• Updated - - -

There were more than 51 dry holes in the North Sea before they found anything promising. Technology has come a long way since then.[/QUOTE]

Where will the new Fourchon be?

I would guess it will be in a “Right to Work” State that Mr. Gary has Purchased/Leased a substantial amount of any available Commercial Waterfront Property.