Drilling off Floridas east coast

Thought I’d start this tread as I would like to know what some of you think. As we know, research conducted by some drilling companies have shown that there are oil reserves off the coast of Fla, do you think drilling will in the near future take place off Fla’s coast? please explain your thoughts.
Thanks,

Drill away… the tremendous increase in local revenue and creation of jobs far outweighs any potential negative myths about the drilling industry. You will find far more pollution from the under-regulated fishing industry than the tightly regulated drilling industry. As far as the pristine beaches etc… China has already started drilling off of Cuba, that’s an accident waiting to happen. It is not if but when they have a disaster. Let them drill… Florida could use the economic boost after the housing industry dump from a few years ago. Jobs are good.

Read Obama’s 2012-2017 Drilling Plan – Open Up Arctic but Pacific and Atlantic a No-Go.

But hey if Cuba’s doing it what’s the difference…

Under-regulated fishing industry?? Are we on the same planet?

USCG,ISM,ISPS,BOEMRE,BSEE,IADC,OSHA,EEOC,EPA, etc vs FWS? I have seen those Louisiana Shrimpers on TV…lol, You ain’t foolin’ nobody!

East Coast? There has been a few seismic surveys off the West Coast of Florida within the last few years conducted by GGS (vessel GGS Atlantic) PGS, and others. It would be great news if some deepwater drilling was begun off the West Coast of FL. Who wouldn’t like to work out of Tampa Bay and not Fourchon?

[QUOTE=rigdevil;62571]USCG,ISM,ISPS,BOEMRE,BSEE,IADC,OSHA,EEOC,EPA, etc vs FWS? I have seen those Louisiana Shrimpers on TV…lol, You ain’t foolin’ nobody![/QUOTE]
Yeah, you’re right… I didn’t see that TV show so I guess I’m not qualified to make an observation. I think I have a grasp now…If you’re not over-regulated…you’re under-regulated.

[QUOTE=curtgetz;62575]East Coast? There has been seismic surveys off the West Coast of Florida south of Tampa within the last few years conducted by GGS (vessel GGS Atlantic) It would be great news if some deepwater drilling was begun off the West Coast of FL. Who wouldn’t like to work out of Tampa Bay and not Fourchon?[/QUOTE]
I worked seismic vessels in '76 on the Fla West Coast. There were so many vessels shooting that area that the various survey companies had to alternate to avoid interferance with each other’s records.

They were drilling exploratory wells into the early '80s. I worked several velocity survey jobs around '80. As they were testing the wells, they flared high sulphur yellow-black smoke. The word then was the high sulphur oil wasn’t cost-effective to produce. Technology has advanced now that it’s cheaper to extract sulphur from oil than it is to mine or steam it out of the ground.

It’s a matter of when not if they drill. Otherwise, Cheveron Phillips wouldn’t have expanded the plant in Pascagoula.

I have no doubr that there will be drilling off of Fla’s west coast, the question is in regards to the east coast of fla, spec central to south fla…

[QUOTE=Capt.Felix;62594]I have no doubr that there will be drilling off of Fla’s west coast, the question is in regards to the east coast of fla, spec central to south fla…[/QUOTE]

That same year '76, we surveyed from Cape Canaveral to Georges Bank. We were called back to follow up off Georgia, Baltimore Canyon and Georges Bank berfore sending us to the North Sea. In the late '70s, there was exploratory drilling in all 3 areas.

Seismograph technology has increased 10K fold since then.

There is some beautiful waters off the coast of Florida. The GOM is a huge area, I am sure there is enough room for everyone to work. I think it’s only fair to preserve the prime fishing spots for the fishermen but drilling brings in a lot of cash and jobs. The good news is with today’s technology drilling is safer, and recently more so. And even with the Macondo incident which was an anomaly things seem to have returned to normal relatively quickly without long lasting detriment to the environment. So let’s drill…high paying jobs for unskilled laborers and up. Taxes for the local and Federal communities. Increased revenue for the local coastal communities supporting the industry and increased US Oil Reserves. Less dependance on foreign oil is always a good thing. Who wants to take a bus to work or commuter train? America is not ready for mass transit.

Have you ever fished around a platform? Those are some of the best artificial reefs and one of the reasons Louisiana has such a great reputation for offshore fishing.

As long as they don’t try and put anything in the middle of a coral reef, platforms will do nothing but increase the fish population.
Well as long as the oil stays in the pipe…

From what I was reading in our local paper, Virginia was very close to opening her coast to drilling then the deepwater accident happened. If I remember correctly, they were going to “sign the dotted line” about in about a week then the spill so I hope it opens back up. I’d love to work out my backyard!

Thats what im talking about.

I hear ya ryan.

As far as im concerned, i think and hope drilling does eventually happen . If its there, go for it, we need it. Localized maritime employment would see a boast, not to mention that this country needs to quit relying on everyone else for oil, in turn keeping fuel prices in check…

Everyone wants job creation, here’s our chance. Look at what Fourchon has become. Loom at the business 3 party companies are getting. Drilling has become much safer and when a rig is 20 miles offshore, how can it be an eye sore?

The limousine liberals with their “not in my backyard” attitudes are the obstacle. Most people don’t understand the concept of directional drilling. As stated earlier it can’t be an eye sore if you can’t see it. I know Chevron had a big project in Destin Dome close to Panama City beach in the mid 90’s. I remember making riser runs for Dominion to the north east area of Desoto Canyon in 01. The oil is definitely out there. They will come around when they finally get tired of paying $5 a gallon to fill up their SUV’s. So far it seems the only place this administration wants to drill is our wallets. Running in and out of Tampa sounds a lot more attractive than Foulchon.

Tampa would be really nice. Chesapeake Bay or ~40 miles from there would be the ticket! Haha

Senators Webb and Warner, both democrats, submitted a request to Obama to reopen the Va coast to oil and gas exploration. They specifically state that it would create much needed jobs and the revenues would help rebuild the infrastructure of the state. Doubt anything will happen with this administration, especially with Ken Salazar at the helm of Interior. That jackass butchered the oil/gas leases on the west slope of Colorado destroying thousands of jobs and severely curtailing growth of the smaller communities. In other news, the Interior is pushing for a wind farm off the coast of Va. That huge eyesore is predicted to supply only 10% of Va energy needs.