Drilling off Floridas east coast

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;62655]The limousine liberals with their “not in my backyard” attitudes are the obstacle. Most people don’t understand the concept of directional drilling. As stated earlier it can’t be an eye sore if you can’t see it. I know Chevron had a big project in Destin Dome close to Panama City beach in the mid 90’s. I remember making riser runs for Dominion to the north east area of Desoto Canyon in 01. The oil is definitely out there. They will come around when they finally get tired of paying $5 a gallon to fill up their SUV’s. So far it seems the only place this administration wants to drill is our wallets. Running in and out of Tampa sounds a lot more attractive than Foulchon.[/QUOTE]

What’s worse than a “NIMBY?” a “BANANA” Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything" I live sail and fish from Miami, and could use a new job.

I agree we won’t see any drilling of the coast of VA until the obummer regime is gone. It will bring tons of high paying jobs to the area.

The Bush administration didn’t push for drilling off Virginia or the east coast of Florida either. Drilling is an economic choice made by the oil companies. They are sitting on many, many unused permits now. They will only even begin to think about drilling in the non traditional areas when it is economically reasonable.Once the price of oil gets up around $150/bbl you may see them looking to expand but right now they have all they can handle in the GOM and Alaska. Permit issuance is speeding up in the GOM . It took a while for BOEMRE to realize they actually had to start reviewing the permits instead of just signing off on them as they had been and it took the oil companies time to realize they needed to make the permit fit the well they intended to drill. Things like BP’s environmental plan for the Macando well containing a plan protecting seals and walruses in case of a blow out just won’t fly any more. It was a copied plan for another well but BOEMRE never noticed that little item and and BP knew they didn’t even read the damn things most of the time any way. If congress would better fund BOEMRE it would help. They need more people now that they actually have to read the permit apps.

You won’t see it from the coast but their will be drilling about 75nm from the coast of Key West!! In Cuba, they are moving ahead at full force!

http://ecoweekfloridakeys.com/summit/index.php/press-release/47-bahamas-oil-drilling-could-begin-by-2012-similar-stories-cubas-oil-our-potential-mess-drilling-off-keys-to-begin-by-december-oil-rig-to-drill-south-of-keys-by-september-lawmakers-warn-against-oil-drilling-off

Bahamas will try to also.

[QUOTE=PR-9;62964]http://ecoweekfloridakeys.com/summit/index.php/press-release/47-bahamas-oil-drilling-could-begin-by-2012-similar-stories-cubas-oil-our-potential-mess-drilling-off-keys-to-begin-by-december-oil-rig-to-drill-south-of-keys-by-september-lawmakers-warn-against-oil-drilling-off

Bahamas will try to also.[/QUOTE]

Bahamians want to drill for oil to reduce their debt? Their major industry is tourism and they want to drill for oil in hurricane alley? They should be taxing their herb and paying down their debt instead of smoking so much of the stuff.

I think we should take a very close look at who is going to receive oil from new fields things aren’t always as they appear oil from the gulf is going from the ground to tankers bound for China today “Petrobras” I am all for drilling but it would be nice if the product was actually for the USA not being taken directly overseas at least let it come ashore for processing then send it out. Presently some company’s are looking at the FL coast but are running cost projections basing operations from Fourchon so the FL coast probably won’t see that many new jobs it’s only my observation but food for thought.

Those are some strong words!! I am not here to disrespect anyone so I will stay out of this one!

I feel very strongly that evenually rigs will spring up all along the east coast… I believe its just a matter of time and public pressure due to ridiculous oil prices.

Gas isn’t expensive due to supply of oil. Refineries are actually shutting down due to high oil prices compared to low demand for fuel. Oil is artificially driven by futures markets.

Exactly!

Sent from my PiratePhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=Capt.Felix;63009]I feel very strongly that evenually rigs will spring up all along the east coast… I believe its just a matter of time and public pressure due to ridiculous oil prices.[/QUOTE]

Public pressure has not recently and probably never will have anything to do with oil prices except in as far as demand goes. The oil companies learned their lesson back in the 80’s and there is no way they are going to drill themselves back into lower oil prices. Their business is to make money; not provide anyone with low price gasoline, heating oil or any other form of crude oil.Those of us who work in the oil industry know that higher oil prices by the barrel and at the pump translates into more job security for us.
Oil at $150/bbl is not unreasonable and if the average consumer can’t stand the price increase maybe they should consider using something besides a 18mpg vehicle for the daily commute. No one ever promised cheap gas for gas guzzlers, least of all the oil producers. If you really want to lower the price lower the demand for refined products, don’t wait for the oil companies to give you a gift outta their pocket cause it ain’t gonna happen. Only a worldwide recession and/or a stable middle east would lower oil prices at this point in time. [of course regulating the speculators which would help, but that ain’t going to happen either.]
Tengineer

[QUOTE=rigdvr;63012]Gas isn’t expensive due to supply of oil. Refineries are actually shutting down due to high oil prices compared to low demand for fuel. Oil is artificially driven by futures markets.[/QUOTE]

There is the Sunoco refinery in Philly that they just shutdown instead of upgrading to more modern operation. The big problem is that there hasn’t been a refinery built in the US since the 70’s. I bet there has been maybe one or two advances in the refining process. It would seem that CEOs want to wanted to show huge profits to get a bonus instead of spending money on upgrades…Fuck it let’s not tax the rich and go to war with Iran

Don’t forget our “friendly” regulatory agencies…

Chesapeake Bay would be soooooo much easier than anything International in my case!

It would be so much easier than anything out of state in my case

Regarding oil prices, there is a false notion in this country that just because an oil company is drilling on American soil DOES NOT mean that oil is going to be for our use. The oil companies are going to sell that WHEREVER they choose to get the best price. So “drill baby drill” has been an ignorant mantra for quite some time. All that arctic oil will probably bound for Europe or China on foreign flag tankers…Sucks, but is very possible.

I’m not current on this so things may have changed, but there was, and may still be, a federal prohibition on the export of Alaska North Slope oil. I believe that Cook Inlet oil can be exported. Cook Inlet gas in excess of local needs is all exported.

Personally, I think there should be a prohibition on the export of crude oil, jet fuel, heating oil, diesel, and gasoline from the US, or at least a hefty export tax on it.

If the people of the US are going to bear all the environmental risks of energy development and refining, then they should also get as many of the benefits as possible. If a prohibition on oil exports results in energy security and lower oil prices in the US than on the global market, it will be because we deserve it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;76326] If a prohibition on oil exports results in energy security …[/QUOTE]

As long as that sort of commie pinko tree hugger thinking threatens congressional financial security it ain’t gonna happen. The uber-patriots who live in the narcissistic nether world of DC and auction off indulgences to the highest bidder under that dome of greed and treachery are never going to put US interests ahead of their own. Never.

Ah yes, welcome to the shameful world of lobbyists and politicians. What a crock it is. The system is definitely flawed, but this is still the best country to live in. (For now at least.)