East Coast Drilling, its gonna happen!

All you computer and social media savvy folks need to get your wore out fingers busy and get some positive messages out on the internet to promote drilling and job growth. Finally got all this brain power floating around and all we do is paperwork and check off lists. The tree huggers have already started with their campaign to prevent any hopes of any seismograph vessels or drilling rigs coming on up. Make it happen Captain!

In my state of SC, every anti-drilling campaign is falling on deaf ears. SC is so gung-ho about the oil industry I believe they will serve as an example to other states as to the benefits of such industry.

So here’s the big question…how much oil and gas is on the eastern seaboard continental shelf? Does the geology support anywhere near the size of the reserves in the GoM or in the Arctic? There is also the abundant and relatively low cost to produce gas and oil in the Bakken to take into account. It is a lot like the eastern GoM where there is no activity not because of politics but because there isn’t that much there. If there was, there would be a shitload of drilling and production there already.

Been to the USGS website to see what they say and they do not even have a regional study available for the east coast offshore. It is all fine and good to think that is the new frontier for energy but is it if the energy isn’t there in quantities to excite the majors…

I don’t know about the US Eastern Seaboard, but I was talking to a guy who was involved in a bunch of the seismic work off Nova Scotia and Newfoundland last summer, and he said there’s all kinds of excitement over what the latest generation seismic arrays are finding up there.

well here is something I found at BOEM Atlantic OCS Region’s site

I would not get all hot for the east coast turning into anything big with these kinds of finds in play

Between the leftists in NoVa, the Navy, and the retards in Va Beach who think that energy exploration off the coast means oil rigs blocking their view VA will have a lot of hurdles to clear.

That was 30 years ago. Technology has advanced enough to hopefully find what was missed in the 80s.

Are you kidding. There hasn’t been any recent seismic surveys done since the eighties. Gotta get that Cory Chouest and every other American survey boat we can round up to start getting some survey work done. Yes it may cost an animal or two a few headaches. Maybe a death to a few turtles and dolphins but they will recover quick and we all know this. Even if we lose a few whales from the work it’ll heal itself. I never saw them suspend the shipments to Walmart when a container ship hit a Right Whale.

3d work is occurring this summer south of NS. I’ve never figured out why most people think oil and gas respects political boundaries. The same shelf that produced Nufie fields runs along the OCS south to the Bahamas. To think that there is no mind boggling finds in that expanse one would have to be dense.
To find oil offshore you have to look for it and have a good grasp on the developmental geology.
It’s there, but… Don’t think we will produce it in my lifetime.

Offshore drilling is ready for a big expansion in Canada. Shell and BP paid good money for leases 200 miles south of Halifax ( which is about 300 miles east of Boston). The Province of Nova Scotia estimates that there are 9 billion barrels off Nova Scotia. Shell and BP must have had some basis for buying the leases.

It ought go be much cheaper to drill for and produce oil off Boston than in Alaska or Newfoundland.

I don’t see any interest in Northeast drilling until after (and if ) Nova Scotia is successful.

From what I’ve read, they are doing survey work now. Leases are to be sold in 2017.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;143518]Are you kidding. There hasn’t been any recent seismic surveys done since the eighties. Gotta get that Cory Chouest and every other American survey boat we can round up to start getting some survey work done. Yes it may cost an animal or two a few headaches. Maybe a death to a few turtles and dolphins but they will recover quick and we all know this. Even if we lose a few whales from the work it’ll heal itself. I never saw them suspend the shipments to Walmart when a container ship hit a Right Whale.[/QUOTE]

I can’t believe I just read this sophomoric nonsense. Drilling exploration and any work in way of energy recovery should always strive to minimize impact on the environment- you know, the fish and the beaches you and I surf and fish in and enjoy.

Wise up. This forum is Google indexed. The public can read these comments. Do you think they would support exploration and drilling when they can easily trot out comments such as yours? Can it, no matter how funny or ironic you think you come off. You are neither, and you are not helping things one iota. Put more crudely, STFU.

I just can’t see Edith telling someone to STFU!!! Lol!!

Interesting article and good offshore video. You can catch a glimpse of the transformer house set this spring.

Here is one place making huge land based wind turbines over in Aurich, but now the offshore stuff is mainly done in Bremerhaven by the airport. http://www.enercon.de/de-de/technologie%20.htm Industry seems kind of segmented between generator hubs / blade mfr and platform / plylon construction. Install goes pretty quick.

But I would not want to be running that backhoe on Helgioland, one of the most heavily bombed places on earth in 1943-1945, itself even loaded with over 6000 tones of explosives the Brits set off on purpose after WWII, to try and blow up the entire island once and for all.

Whats up with the Mexican part of the gulf? I keep hearing that its about to explode with new rigs. I know PEMEX will be allowing private drillers in for the first time. What will this mean to the US mariner and the US OSV companies??

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;144173]Whats up with the Mexican part of the gulf? I keep hearing that its about to explode with new rigs. I know PEMEX will be allowing private drillers in for the first time. [B]What will this mean to the US mariner and the US OSV companies??[/B][/QUOTE]

Taco Tuesday 6 days of the week?

PEMEX contracted a company to take core samples in the Bay of Campeche. Not sure how long after that until actual drilling, but it looks like a good market for jack-ups and shelf boats. Some of the smaller struggling companies could rebound nicely if they aren’t afraid to dip their toe into a new market. Since the U.S. is so close, it would make sense to me that they could enjoy the majority of non-Mexican flagged work once drilling really gets going down there.

It’s on! That’s how I feel about all the right representatives getting elected in those east coast states wanting to host offshore E&P which can easily transfer into increased shipping and pilot use in these ports hosting the drilling activities. I’ve been in contact with the American Petroleum Institute, Bureau of Oceans Energy Management and my State and county government representatives. Here’s a great time to start sending those emails. The API representative in NC wishes to meet like minded USMM to buy a few beers and to be able to report that the USMM are capable of operating these vessels in a safe manner. The governors of SC, NC , GA, and VA along with the DOD, USCG , the BOEM and NOAA are having a meeting to discuss operations and how to go about the start. I don’t know where each one of you stand on this issue but as USMM marine I can’t see this as anything but another chance at success for the USMM. Get those emails out and those phone calls, network, social media.

Its nice it see enthusiasm, but that comment crosses over into irrational exuberance.

Politicians are useless against big money enviro lunatics. keystone pipeline, anwar, etc. why not start on the eastern gulf first?

Once again, you can’t build a wind farm nevermind drill for oil. Quite an irrational time for this given the price of oil and stacking equipment in the gulf.