Notice to Mariners - How long kept aboard?

Simple. The last years worth of LNM, can be kept on the computer. We keep all LNM on the computer and just print out what we need. No need to keep paper copies anymore, you just need to make sure everything in done correctly if they want to look during inspections.

CaptHH
the question was “were is it written in the cfr or nvic”. If you ask 10 captains what the answer is they will give you 10 different [U]opinions[/U]. do you know were it is written in the cfr’s or nvic ???

the only written information that seems to have been found is the NVIC 9-83

one captain told me 6 months, another said 1 year,which is it, with computers these days you can easily keep 20 years worth while taking up very little space,why bother if you do not need to, with ecdis out I am very interested if there has been an amendment to the above listed nvic
[U][I][B]once corrections have been made it is the option of the master whether to retain the Notices or not descussion 4 section a.[/B][/I][/U]

What I get from the NVIC is that there is no requirement to keep the NTMs, just to make the corrections. No NTMs are required as long as all the corrections are made. The thing to ask yourself is if you need to replace and recorrect a chart how will you do that if you throw them all away? Therefore, my opinion would be to find online and download the summary of corrections for each chart you carry that has every correction for the current issue of that chart. No inspector should look for them but it may be convenient to have them as then if they gig you for not having a chart corrected that your vessel hasn’t been to in years you can show them the notices and say if you ever needed to use that chart you would correct it before you got to it. (It would help to prove you had the ability to correct it when making that argument.) Do I know for sure it would work? No, but your argument would be stronger for having them…

Capt. Schmitt

I agree with your argument and thinking,,,,but still like to know what is written in stone so to speak which is what the thread has been all about,,,, personally keeping them on a computer for several years is the way I would do it,,,, with the HD space it would make no difference,,, every-time i get involved in looking for a certain CFR or NVIC i find my knowledge increases on the subject which can only help me out in the future,,

thanks for your input

Well, the only thing anyone has been able to show is[I]

“Once corrections have been made it is the option of the master whether to retain the Notices or not.”.

[/I]Therefore the only reason to keep NTMs are for your satisfaction in knowing that you can recorrect a chart should the need arise. Or to prove that you would be able to correct a chart you never use, if you decided to use it.