NMC no longer granting QMED "any rating" with engineering licenses 2000 hp and up

This is the reply I got from the NMC when I asked:

Ms. Catherder,

Good Morning. I reviewed your Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) and application package after you contacted our Customer Service Center. During that review, I determined that your MMC was issued correctly and in accordance with your request.

Per 46 CFR 501(b) (1):

Each QMED rating must be endorsed separately, unless the applicant qualifies for all QMED ratings, in which case the endorsement will read “QMED-any rating.” The ratings are, Fireman/Watertender; Oiler; Junior engineer; Electrician/Refrigerating engineer; and Pumpman/Machinist.

Per 46 CFR 12.503 (b) (1)

A graduate of a school ship may qualify for a rating endorsement as QMED, without further service, upon satisfactory completion of the program of instruction. For this purpose, school ship is interpreted to mean an institution that offers a complete approved program of instruction, including a period of at-sea training, in the skills appropriate to the rating of QMED.

We no longer issue any unlicensed rating in the Engine department for Engineering Officers 4000 HP or above. If QMED any rating is issued, it is because the mariner has met /tested for all QMED endorsements. Additionally; if a mariner previously held Any Unlicensed Rating in the engine department it will convert to QMED Any Rating.

You fall outside the change in regulations that were implemented on March 20, 20104. To receive QMED Any Rating you would need to complete all QMED exams or a Coast Guard approved program. Please review the most update version of the 46 CFR http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title46/46tab_02.tpl

If you are interested in being evaluated for any additional endorsements, you will need to submit a new application to your servicing Regional Examination Center with all applicable forms and fees. Thank you for contacting the National Maritime Center.

Respectfully,

(name withheld)
USCG National Maritime Center
Issue Resolution Team
PH 888-427-5662
FAX 304-433-3412

…and apparently, the fact that all of the qualifying service was earned before March 20, 2014 matters not.

:mad:

How would this negatively impact us going forward? Seems to me once obtaining a license those unlicensed ratings become irrelevant.

Curious to know what I’m missing, thanks!

[QUOTE=ko0k;152045]How would this negatively impact us going forward? Seems to me once obtaining a license those unlicensed ratings become irrelevant.

Curious to know what I’m missing, thanks![/QUOTE]

They aren’t irrelevant- they make one more employable, especially if one wants to upgrade from a horsepower restriction or add a mode of propulsion.

To do that as a Third you have to work as a QMED (unless getting observer time I believe)…and having the additional ratings has always been a good thing. MFOW for example is shipping QMEDS but they want the Electrician and Refrigeration endorsement (which I believe is now combined- but I’d still have to take the test even though I have one of those)

It’s ridiculous…

It’s just another disincentive to upgrade in my opinion.

[QUOTE=catherder;152047]They aren’t irrelevant- they make one more employable, especially if one wants to upgrade from a horsepower restriction or add a mode of propulsion.

To do that as a Third you have to work as a QMED (unless getting observer time I believe)…and having the additional ratings has always been a good thing. MFOW for example is shipping QMEDS but they want the Electrician and Refrigeration endorsement (which I believe is now combined- but I’d still have to take the test even though I have one of those)

It’s ridiculous…

It’s just another disincentive to upgrade in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Is their a HP restriction on your 3rd license? I thought if you get unlimited HP you get ‘any rating’?

There is a guy working with me who used to sail MFOW that said their electrician rate is so good that some officers sail there as that…so I understand what you are saying there.

I had the same problem when upgrading to 2nd mate unlimited. Submitted my application after March 24 2014 and was told that I don’t have the correct tonnage. After asking for a reconsideration I was given the unlimited endorsement. I used nvic 2-14 as a reference saying I should be grandfathered in under the old rules since my sea time started prior to the change.

Soo. . . if I am reading this correctly, those licensed via an Academy or similar still get QMED any rating (or equivalent), yet those hawsepiping it don’t. To me, that means that one can then get a berth as a 3AE, but not, say as an electrician if their QMED qualification is FOWT. . . .or Junior Engineer (is that berth even offered?). . . . That really sucks.

[QUOTE=Ctony;152051]Is their a HP restriction on your 3rd license? I thought if you get unlimited HP you get ‘any rating’?

There is a guy working with me who used to sail MFOW that said their electrician rate is so good that some officers sail there as that…so I understand what you are saying there.[/QUOTE]

It was “all ratings” > 2000 HP in accordance with 46 CFR 12.02-11(d)(2)

I have the electrician rate and have been an electrician since the 80s when I was an EM, also worked in the shipyards doing install and repair. They are also looking for the refer rating for the box boats.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=cmakin;152054]Soo. . . if I am reading this correctly, those licensed via an Academy or similar still get QMED any rating (or equivalent), yet those hawsepiping it don’t. To me, that means that one can then get a berth as a 3AE, but not, say as an electrician if their QMED qualification is FOWT. . . .or Junior Engineer (is that berth even offered?). . . . That really sucks.[/QUOTE]

That’s the way I read it.

I have the Junior and Electrician ratings, which are very good to have, but have to test for the rest of them at extra time and expense.

And yes, it appears that hawsepipers are once again being kicked in the backside.

• Updated - - -

So maybe the thread was a little misleading…should have been called “If you’re a hawsepiper, BOHICA”

This must be another depends on who you ask situation. I just renewed my 3rd and asked the NMC to add QMED any rating and got it. Even though I did not previously have the DMac and Pumpman.

Yeah that’s rough. I would think getting the license would get you all the ratings…especially when it comes to an unlimited license. Then again, not all the ratings are required for getting approved to test for the license though.

Shouldn’t be too hard sitting for the individual tests, especially after sitting for your 3rd. I get the extra costs and time though. Any way you slice it its lame.

[QUOTE=Ctony;152061]Yeah that’s rough. I would think getting the license would get you all the ratings…especially when it comes to an unlimited license. Then again, not all the ratings are required for getting approved to test for the license though.

Shouldn’t be too hard sitting for the individual tests, especially after sitting for your 3rd. I get the extra costs and time though. Any way you slice it its lame.[/QUOTE]

If I knew this going in, I’d have scheduled an extra day and spent the money. I’m going to concentrate on growing the license instead, maybe take the remaining qmed exams when I go for the motor exams.

I’m kind of surprised they did this considering that all of the service was obtained before March 2014.

• Updated - - -

I have to be careful with the money, have two classes to take before Dec 2016 and then the merry go round with STCW begins anew in 2017.

[QUOTE=catherder;152064]
I’m kind of surprised they did this considering that all of the service was obtained before March 2014.

[/QUOTE]

I thought that you have worked for the government before. . . . . :wink:

[QUOTE=cmakin;152072]I thought that you have worked for the government before. . . . . ;-)[/QUOTE]