QMED Rating Descriptions

Hello everyone! I’m in the process of trying to get my sea time with the Navy validated and accepted by the NMC. I have researched for quite a while in regard to specifically what the various QMED ratings do. This is so I can apply for the highest/most ratings for which I think the NMC will endorse based on my experience. What is the difference between deck engineer, junior engineer, deck engine mechanic, and engineman? I am aware of the differences in exam requirements and what qualifies a mariner for these ratings, just not sure about what these ratings actually do. Thank you in advance.

Are you planning on working deep sea with the MSC or are you looking at tugs, OSV’s, etc?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;109695]Are you planning on working deep sea with the MSC or are you looking at tugs, OSV’s, etc? If you have at least 180 days of sea time you can sit for all the QMED tests except for engineman and one other. Those require specific type of seatime.[/QUOTE]

Engineman and Deck Engine Mechanic require you to first hold other QMED Ratings and get sea time on them. Engineman needs 6 months as oiler, FOWT, and/or junior engineer on steam vessels over 4,000 HP. Deck engine mechanic requires 6 months as juinior engineer on steam vessels over 4,000 HP.

Yeah I edited that because he was asking what the job entails. Then I just wanted to know what his plans were which may simplify things for him. He may not have to jump through hoops for an endorsement he is never going to find a job for. How many engineman jobs are out there?

What’s your Navy rating OP?

If your going to get on tugs/osv’s just get a basic qmed ticket, and upgrade to DDE, alot easier, and then they give you qmed-any rating anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the responses. My rating was Machinist’s Mate 2nd class, nuke, submarines. I’m wanting to do something in the private sector, not MSC. I’m thinking trans-Pacific shipping, maybe even fishing industry. I feel like my experience is commensurate with Oiler, Fireman/Watertender, Pumpman, and Refrigeration. I’ve also heard that boot amp counts for BST (which is the required STCW95 for offshore, correct?)

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason, my posts aren’t showing up in this thread, so here it goes again. My rate was Machinist’s Mate 2nd class, nuke, submarines. I’m interested in doing something in the private sector, not MSC. Possibly trans-Pacific shipping, or maybe fishing industry. My experience seems commensurate with Oiler, Fireman/Watertender, Pumpman, and Refrigeration. Also, I believe bootcamp fulfills the STCW95 BST requirement (which is what I need too, correct?)