Next Generation Chiefs

Hello. this if my first post on here, and i am looking forward to meeting some of you. I have a few questions. I am currently working on an older boat. 1200 ton 4000hp as QMED/oiler. Also I have my BST and RFPEW. I am looking to make a jump to newer boats, and begin learning more about the systems/electronics. I learn quickly I just have not had the opportunity to work with them as of yet. The last few months i have poured over threads, websites, courses, and much more trying to make some sense of the direction this industry is headed. Those of you already working as Chiefs/DDE’s what would you recommend. I want To make that jump to a larger company that pays for classes, travel, Newer boats, and has better benefits. I am looking at three different ones, and would like to make myself stand out even more. Also i have heard mixed things about my QMED as well. I was informed the other day that if i want to upgrade to my QMED ELECTRICAL that i would have to retest my entire QMED. Would i be better to get my DDE unlimited then do the electro technical officer before i try and make a switch. The chiefs i am currently working under have been very informative, and great teachers. At the end of the day though they are just looking to retire, and no longer have to deal with any of these things.
Thanks

Get as many endorsements as you can as fast as you can.
You never know when an opportunity might arise and where it could lead.
Good luck.

When I got my DDE 4000 the CG upgraded my QMED oiler to qmed any rating. For me the DDE test was much easier than the qmed because I have to real steam experience. When I go for my unlimited next year I guess I’ll have to study more electrical.

Even a DDE 1000 will open up a lot of job opportunities. Go for it. Get what you can. Don’t settle for a job with bad pay and benefits. Keep looking until you get the best job you qualify for. It’s nice being on a boat over 4000hp because the time counts towards unlimited.

You may want to save that sea time and apply it toward a License vs. a DDE. Once you use that time to procure a DDE I don’t think you can count it again when going for a license, you’d have to do a bunch of time ‘‘over again’’. I could be wrong but that’s what I learned years ago…check it out first!!

[QUOTE=jimrr;147688]You may want to save that sea time and apply it toward a License vs. a DDE. Once you use that time to procure a DDE I don’t think you can count it again when going for a license, you’d have to do a bunch of time ‘‘over again’’. I could be wrong but that’s what I learned years ago…check it out first!![/QUOTE]

Sea time can be re-used. As long as it’s meets the requirement for the endorsement you are going for it can be used.