New Training Vessel for Kings Point

That thing was in a fire and is burned up on the inside. I guess when boats get donated they have to keep them for 2 years than they can sell them. Not sure why they are holding onto that turd.

[QUOTE=leadline;79395]with modern joy-stick dynamic positioning capability [/QUOTE]

I just looked up the word “modern” in my dictionary and came up with: “Modern: characterized by or using the most up-to-date technology or techniques.”

So considering that Kongsberg has the most up-to-date technology… that means the new ship has a Kongsberg K-pos and K-Bridge integrated system!

Right?

…or does MARAD use a different dictionary than the rest of us?

[QUOTE=rshrew;79454]That thing was in a fire and is burned up on the inside. I guess when boats get donated they have to keep them for 2 years than they can sell them. Not sure why they are holding onto that turd.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t know it had burned but it still would be better for KP than that little toy they are getting!

Well the vessel has a kongsberg compact aka DP-0 so I guess it’s modern in that respect but it does no good if KP doesn’t offer a DP class.

how much you want to bet that MarAd pays to put a K-Pos system in this shitstain?

[QUOTE=c.captain;79448]These fucking fools are utterly lost…[/QUOTE]

my boomerang won’t come back

[QUOTE=c.captain;79460]how much you want to bet that MarAd pays to put a K-Pos system in this shitstain?[/QUOTE]
Just think…They’ll graduate with DP and TOAR off the same vessel. Feel better about your tax dollars yet??LOL!

You really believe MARAD will put dime one into upgrading the DP-0 system let alone create an approved basic DPO class?

http://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web/nokbg0238.nsf/AllWeb/58161C0215BB3178C1256F39004E6EA6?OpenDocument

NASA has become the first customer to install our revolutionary Compact DP system. Two supply vessels used for recovering fuel tanks after rocket launches will utilise a dual cPos solution with an additional Wing panel. NASA, a pioneer in aeronautical and space technology can now be regarded as a pioneer in the world of Dynamic Positioning by utilising this advanced new DP system.
Tough competitionThe supply vessels, The Liberty Star and The Freedom Star where built in the early 80`s and were operated by pneumatic signal transmission, which produced hissing sounds when the pneumatic levers were operated. The recovery aspect of their job requires highly accurate and reliable positioning systems and our Compact DP was chosen against tough competition.
CertificationOur Houston office carried out the system installation. This required the majority of the old pneumatic system panels and instruments to be removed, the new cPos panels mounted, and basically the whole operational panel system onboard being rebuilt from scratch. The installation was followed by a CAT and ABS certification (class 0).
Considering that the DP Software, cPos panel, Wing panel and the controller are new products to the market, the system installation went very well and was completed on time.
Cost effectiveThe cPos and cJoy components of Compact DP make up a complete DP class 1 solution for dynamically positioned vessels and are designed to meet the requirements of Offshore Support Vessels. The new system offers a scalable, cost effective, but no-less valuable solution for the smaller vessel.

Im trying to see how they can get a completed TOAR off of this boat. It has no fendering on it. how are they going to make up alongside a barge? How are they going to get into push gear? It has a sharp ships bow it would be utterly useless at pushing and likely to big and clumsy to round up on a barge.

I guess the gubmt is going to pour millions of $$$ into this rig instead of sending KP a few old YTBs. The KP kids would learn a whole lot more about boat handling on a YTB! Plus they already have tons of berthing space and a big old dirty Fairbanks rock crusher for the engine cadets to work on!

You can hip, tow, push, and dock ships with a YTB. You can learn good seamanship on a YTB, and they can chip and paint to their hearts content.

[QUOTE=c.captain;79460]how much you want to bet that MarAd pays to put a K-Pos system in this shitstain?[/QUOTE]

I’ll take that bet and raise it one…

I bet that Kongsberg would give KP a K-pos free of charge if they asked. But I’ll aslo bet KP doesn’t ask and, if they do (maybe after reading this sugestion?) , the gift would be so bogged down in paper work that the system never gets installed.

[QUOTE=leadline;79459]Well the vessel has a kongsberg compact aka DP-0 so I guess it’s modern in that respect but it does no good if KP doesn’t offer a DP class.[/QUOTE]

K-berg Compact is not DP, it’s joystick assist.

Pulling into port on k-pos is like visiting an expensive hooker, you just sit back and enjoy the show. K-Compact is like a glory hole you pull it out, cover your eyes as you slip her in then, once finished, you wish had done in hand steering :wink:

[QUOTE=cmjeff;79475]K-berg Compact is not DP, it’s joystick assist.

Pulling into port on k-pos is like visiting an expensive hooker, you just sit back and enjoy the show. K-Compact is like a glory hole you pull it out, cover your eyes as you slip her in then, once finished, you wish had done in hand steering ;)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone has an unlimited cert on cat house metaphors!

It is DP-0 so even if KP offered the classes the sea time won’t count for anything. Besides, could the cadets possibly get enough time underway on DP to actually get a certificate? Thats 210 days on DP…

MARAD should either buy a state of the art DP-3, European designed, ice breaking, anchor handling tug supply vessel for KP (there has got to be some company somewhere in the world that needs to sell one), or they should have Chouest build a new one for them.

If the US is going to spend the kind of money that it does on KP and the state schools, it should provide the most relevant vessels possible, for the best education possible, not try to design relevant maritime academy programs around some other federal agencies’ cast off junk.

If they are not going to do it right, they should forget about having a “ship,” and just send cadets to the boat companies and drilling contractors.

IMO giving them 3rd mate unlimited upon graduation is plenty. Give them TOAR and DP then the working man (hawsepiper) will never stand a chance in the market. I’m sorry that’s just how I feel about things. The new vessel will let em get there peckers wet so there not clueless. That’s all good as far as I’m concerned. Just don’t agree with a certificate saying they are a master of the craft.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;79497]IMO giving them 3rd mate unlimited upon graduation is plenty. [/QUOTE]

I agree with that. A learner’s permit is all they have earned.

Even that is, or should be, debatable now that KP is a brown water school run by a grunt. What has any of this got to do with the reason the school was founded? How can anyone now claim that its existence is in any way related to the needs of what is left of the American merchant marine?

Why should a baby brown water mate or wrench need an unlimited ticket? Does the military need mudboat drivers or rig mechanics?

Here is a little blurb from 1945:

[I]Ninety-two percent of the 7,000 graduates off the U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps and its Academy at Kings Point are serving as officers of ships. This is believed to exceed the record of any other Federal sea service academy, Captain Edward Macauley, USN (Ret’d), Deputy Administrator, War Shipping Administration, announced today.

More than 1,700 graduates are on active sea duty as officers with the U. S. Navy and 4,800 are attached to merchant vessels.

Less than 2 1/2 percent off the graduates of the nation’s newest service Academy are on shore duty and they are attached to War Shipping Administration Training and Foreign Service units, according to a report made to Captain Macauley by Commodore P. P. McNulty, USNR, Supervisor, U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps.

The report showed that since the U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps was established in 1938, 7,085 officers have been graduated. A breakdown of information available on 6,800 graduates shows 6,550 at sea, only 170 ashore and 80 war casualties. The Cadet Corps can account for 96 percent of all its graduates since 1938.[/I]

After appointing a freaking ground pounder as supreme leader and now wanting to claim brown water as its reason for existence, it is impossible to justify the school’s continued existence, much less the issue of an unlimited license. We (the taxpayer) sure as hell don’t need to shell out nearly half a million dollars to produce a warm body to fill a berth on a mudboat or a tug. There are thousands of experienced people begging for those jobs now and the price of one baby mate would send a hell of a lot of them to the specialized training the industry needs. Continuing to squander a shrinking pot of cash to maintain the fantasy of placing bright eyed young men on ships carrying the products of American industry around the world is ludicrous.

Let’s just call 1945 as the pinnacle of the school’s achievements and let it die with dignity. Surely there are some who see these latest developments as demeaning and shameful to the memories of those who brought honor to the school performing the task for which it was founded. It has had a good run, let it go out with honor rather than ridicule.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;79467]Im trying to see how they can get a completed TOAR off of this boat. It has no fendering on it. how are they going to make up alongside a barge? How are they going to get into push gear? It has a sharp ships bow it would be utterly useless at pushing and likely to big and clumsy to round up on a barge.

I guess the gubmt is going to pour millions of $$$ into this rig instead of sending KP a few old YTBs. The KP kids would learn a whole lot more about boat handling on a YTB! Plus they already have tons of berthing space and a big old dirty Fairbanks rock crusher for the engine cadets to work on!

You can hip, tow, push, and dock ships with a YTB. You can learn good seamanship on a YTB, and they can chip and paint to their hearts content.[/QUOTE]

All they need is a designated examiner willing to sign the TOAR

[QUOTE=Steamer;79500]I agree with that. A learner’s permit is all they have earned.

Even that is, or should be, debatable now that KP is a brown water school run by a grunt. What has any of this got to do with the reason the school was founded? How can anyone now claim that its existence is in any way related to the needs of what is left of the American merchant marine?

Why should a baby brown water mate or wrench need an unlimited ticket? Does the military need mudboat drivers or rig mechanics?

Here is a little blurb from 1945:

[I]Ninety-two percent of the 7,000 graduates off the U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps and its Academy at Kings Point are serving as officers of ships. This is believed to exceed the record of any other Federal sea service academy, Captain Edward Macauley, USN (Ret’d), Deputy Administrator, War Shipping Administration, announced today.

More than 1,700 graduates are on active sea duty as officers with the U. S. Navy and 4,800 are attached to merchant vessels.

Less than 2 1/2 percent off the graduates of the nation’s newest service Academy are on shore duty and they are attached to War Shipping Administration Training and Foreign Service units, according to a report made to Captain Macauley by Commodore P. P. McNulty, USNR, Supervisor, U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps.

The report showed that since the U. S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps was established in 1938, 7,085 officers have been graduated. A breakdown of information available on 6,800 graduates shows 6,550 at sea, only 170 ashore and 80 war casualties. The Cadet Corps can account for 96 percent of all its graduates since 1938.[/I]

After appointing a freaking ground pounder as supreme leader and now wanting to claim brown water as its reason for existence, it is impossible to justify the school’s continued existence, much less the issue of an unlimited license. We (the taxpayer) sure as hell don’t need to shell out nearly half a million dollars to produce a warm body to fill a berth on a mudboat or a tug. There are thousands of experienced people begging for those jobs now and the price of one baby mate would send a hell of a lot of them to the specialized training the industry needs. Continuing to squander a shrinking pot of cash to maintain the fantasy of placing bright eyed young men on ships carrying the products of American industry around the world is ludicrous.

Let’s just call 1945 as the pinnacle of the school’s achievements and let it die with dignity. Surely there are some who see these latest developments as demeaning and shameful to the memories of those who brought honor to the school performing the task for which it was founded. It has had a good run, let it go out with honor rather than ridicule.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything in this post.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;79508]I agree with everything in this post.[/QUOTE]

I will second that…