Kings Point Shutdown?

This is liable to make most of you very happy here. However, it is unfortunate for the students at the school.

http://marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4722%3Agovernment-shut-down-closes-kings-point&catid=1%3Alatest-news&Itemid=195

They furloughed the whole FUCKING Band!

whatever will the world do now without the muzak?

HUZZAH!

It is funny, but sad for all of those midshipmen who are there trying to get an education.

Current Academy Status
Due to a lapse in funding, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy is closed for normal operations.

This page will be updated if there is a change in status.

This status message is for staff and public information only.

Information for the Regiment of Midshipmen will be provided directly by the Commandant.

Updated: Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I wonder if the USCG will only give those cadets limited licenses like they would hawspipers for being short 2 or 3 days for the proper sea time?

Doubt it.

I wonder if the USCG will only give those cadets limited licenses like they would a hawsepiper who is short proper sea time by two or three days?

Doubt it.

I’d just love it to hear that they are all in lockdown at present and being fed bologna or better still Nurtriloaf!

How come we never ever hear from within the walls of the compound anyway? All them keedetties can’t all be so brainwashed and simply happy little kampers there!

Somebody needs to spill the beans and TALK!

[QUOTE=c.captain;121762]I’d just love it to hear that they are all in lockdown at present and being fed bologna or better still Nurtriloaf!

How come we never ever hear from within the walls of the compound anyway? All them keedetties can’t all be so brainwashed and simply happy little kampers there!

Somebody needs to spill the beans and TALK![/QUOTE]

I don’t doubt that their helicopter parents have swooped in with emergency supplies of sushi, prime rib, and craft beers! Meanwhile, Uncle Sam has kicked me and my shipmates to the curb without carfare. I DON’T FEEL THE LOVE FOR ‘EM. Sorry kids!

[QUOTE=catherder;121770]I don’t doubt that their helicopter parents have swooped in with emergency supplies of sushi, prime rib, and craft beers! Meanwhile, Uncle Sam has kicked me and my shipmates to the curb without carfare. I DON’T FEEL THE LOVE FOR 'EM. Sorry kids![/QUOTE]

so what is happening with the deployed ships right now? they headed back to port? I suppose the NOAA Corps will continued to be paid because they are uniform wearing nitwits!

Another good article on the subject:

Yes, they are heading in, most are in now. Ron Brown stays out.

Yep, blueberries stay on the job but not sure if their pay is held or not.

The Chief and First engs stay, also.

I meet the Ruben Lasker this morning he was out bound passing the navy base in norfolk. I guess not all of NOAA is on the beach.

[QUOTE=MIKEZ76SP;121759]I wonder if the USCG will only give those cadets limited licenses like they would a hawsepiper who is short proper sea time by two or three days?

Doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Why? It ain’t sea time. It’s no different than getting a cold and missing a couple days of class.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;121790]I meet the Ruben Lasker this morning he was out bound passing the navy base in norfolk. I guess not all of NOAA is on the beach.[/QUOTE]

Reuben Lasker personnel were booted out of their hotel rooms on Tuesday and two were supposed to show up on the Gordon Gunter, so I don’t know why she is on the move, other than possibly to get her out of the shipyard. She may be moving up to Newport, RI. I can show you my furlough letter- we are on furlough status. I don’t know who is operating the ship. I can tell you with almost 100 percent certainty it is not to perform a science mission.

The Fairweather is also a day or two out from Oregon. The Ron Brown is out on a funded mission away from US waters.

Edit: Lasker may be on a scheduled sea trial.

Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

[QUOTE=catherder;121770]I don’t doubt that their helicopter parents have swooped in with emergency supplies of sushi, prime rib, and craft beers! Meanwhile, Uncle Sam has kicked me and my shipmates to the curb without carfare. I DON’T FEEL THE LOVE FOR ‘EM. Sorry kids!
’[/QUOTE]

where does your ridiculous perception that KP cadets are a bunch of rich kids come from?

i went, i finished, i’m still sailing deep sea, i still have never set foot on long island since the day i graduated, i’ve still never sent the place a dime of my wages, and I still have no love lost for the place.

but this sushi, prime rib, and craft beers stuff your spewing??? i don’t recall a single rich kid being there with me.

keep sitting on your ass and drinking red hook while on furlough; i don’t think it will help with the current caliber of your posts.

i certainly didn’t grow up rich, nor did i have “helicopter parents,” but clearly mommy and daddy didn’t love you enough or beat you hard enough. not sure which

The few KP kids I’ve sailed with were definitely from well off families. Must have traded favors to get the kids free college.

Not saying its as universal as others do but it is in my experience with the place.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;121829]
i went, i finished, i’m still sailing deep sea, i still have never set foot on long island since the day i graduated, i’ve still never sent the place a dime of my wages, and I still have no love lost for the place.
[/QUOTE]

JC - I didn’t know you were a KP alumn.

Seems KP is evenly split between ring knockers and grads who despise the place years after leaving. My grandfather is a class of '52 Schyler grad and he definitely is a ring knocker and still keeps in touch with classmates after 60 years. State schools just seem to have happier grads.

Just thought of this? Is USCG Academy in New London closed? Or do they still fall under the allowed DoD funding.

Also at KP how are they gonna meet the STCW requirements about not missing more then 10% of classes.

No different than “snow days”–I’m sure they will be made up on a Sat/Sun/holiday–much like it was back when I was there. As for the “rich kids’ parents” post, that certainly wasn’t the case when I was there. Sure, there was a handful of ppl I would have considered “well off”, but you’ll find that at any educational institution.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;121837]Just thought of this? Is USCG Academy in New London closed? Or do they still fall under the allowed DoD funding.

Also at KP how are they gonna meet the STCW requirements about not missing more then 10% of classes.[/QUOTE]

The USCG Academy is apparently not yet making any statements about how they will be affected by the shutdown, but they’re DHS not DoD. Even the DoD academies are reporting a reduction in services provided by civilian employees.