King’s Point – Is it a heritage worth saving? You decide

reposted from gCaptain today

By Clay Maitland

Every year, the cadets and faculty of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy hold a dinner, known as the Battle Standard. It commemorates the cadets who have lost their lives in various American wars, while on active service. Primarily, it memorializes the 142 who died on duty during the Second World War. The most famous of these was Edwin J. O’Hara, who won the Distinguished Service Medal, and gave his life, firing on the heavily armed German raider STIER from his sinking Liberty Ship, STEPHEN HOPKINS. Today, there is an O’Hara Hall at King’s Point. O’Hara’s medal was presented to his mother. Beginning in 1943, the names of Cadet Corpsmen who died in service began to be honored with the assignment of their names to Liberty Ships; five cadet-midshipmen and at least two graduates were so recognized. The EDWIN JOSEPH O’HARA was the first such memorial. Today, the memorial Liberty Ships, bearing the names of the very young King’s Pointers who gave their lives in the Pacific, and the Battle of the Atlantic are long gone. The Battle Standard, inscribed with the number 142, and the shield and emblem of the Academy is displayed at King’s Point to represent their sacrifice. The school, of course, is the true memorial of the regiments of cadets that have passed through its doors, in service to the United States.

The true value of the United States Merchant Marine Academy lies in its essential nature: what the late Senator Russell Long described as a “permanent internationally-respected professional institution”. Others have called it “the University of the Sea”.

No sooner had the Second World War ended, than rumors began to circulate that the school would be abolished. In the nearly 70 years since, these rumors have continued to reappear from time to time. A faithful body of alumni has always rallied to the cause, and despite the United States government’s lack of concern for things maritime, the school has endured and even flourished. What has not, however, blossomed with the passage of time has been the government agency in charge of supporting and maintaining King’s Point. It is startling to see photographs dating from the mid-1950s of units of cadets drawn up in Rockefeller Plaza, at the site of the famous skating rink, to commemorate National Maritime Day – then sponsored by the American Merchant Marine Institute. These dress parades were joint efforts of King’s Point and Fort Schuyler, the State University of New York Maritime School just across the Sound. The thought of reviving a cadet muster in the heart of Manhattan, to advertise the two academies, and the fact that we have a merchant marine, seems to have occurred to nobody.

U.S. Merchant Marine Academy cadets march down Pennsylvania Avenue in the Inaugural parade on January 20, 1965, the day Lyndon Johnson was sworn in as 36th President of the United States. (UPI Photo)

At the present time, the Academy is losing its training ship, the KING’S POINTER; when a replacement will be obtained, if one ever is, is a matter of speculation. The United States has for many years evaded a commitment to the training of merchant mariners. We are told that budgets are tight, and the campus itself could be put to better use. Much of the problem seems to lie in the fact that maritime policy is framed by political appointees who have no previous experience or connection with seagoing commerce. If King’s Point disappears, it will have been a victim, along with many other maritime assets, of a political culture that has turned its back on the sea. Maritime awareness can be revived, but it will take leadership.

To reach the author, go to www.claymaitland.com or Twitter @claymaitland

Mr. Matiland, I hope you do not mind my using your opinion concerning KP to further the public debate here in this open forum on the validity of continuing to fund the academy but I feel you give further proof to my position that the school has become utterly irrelevent to the 21st century. You give not one genuinely valid reason in your opinion that KP is an institution which is truly worthwhile and provides tangible value to the American taxpayer for the funds ($86M for f/y '12) appropriated annually.

Let’s look at hard facts here and not ancient tradition which is pure sentiment and nothing more. Even the photo you chose to use is almost 50 years ago!

Please…can somebody here provide to us even one genuinely meaningful reason why the US federal government MUST continue to keep this place going? No Timmy…I am sorry but tradition does NOT count and looking snappy marching in imitation Annapolis uniforms also doesn’t count either!

next please…step right up sir

[QUOTE=c.captain;59587]Even the photo you chose to use is almost 50 years ago!
[/QUOTE]

Disclosure: photos were added by gCaptain editors

[QUOTE=Mikey;59590]Disclosure: photos were added by gCaptain editors[/QUOTE]

fair enough…but I have ask why such an old photo and why marching in an inaugural parade? Not very representative of a “maritime” academy imo.

KP is a US service academy. Why WOULDN’T they march?

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59595] Why WOULDN’T they march?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct! And march they did, just behind the Lesbian and Gay Band Association and before the Get a Life Marching Band.

That alone should silence all those who think KP has outlived its usefulness.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59595]KP is a US service academy. Why WOULDN’T they march?[/QUOTE]

and by that remark I must assume you enjoyed marching and that marching made you a better ship’s engineer?

Ok, with that said, please let’s discuss the merits of the USMMA program and why it is still NEEDED in 2012!

Here’s one to talk about…you say that KP is a “service” academy…please tell me which “service” specifically? The USMS? Are KP’ers commissioned into the USMS after graduation? What function does the USMS actually serve? Do they man goverment owned merchant ships (ie. MSC)…hmm?

You assume too much. Never much of a fan of close order drill but it was one of the things that contributed to my professional education. I definitely had to learn focus and attention to detail to be able to drill without looking like the proverbial monkey and football.

US Mystery Service? I’m still trying to figure out exactly what that is. While KP may not be tied to a specific Acronymed Service, we are required to to give back time in “service” as required by the Federal Government so the term service academy applies. Additionally, We are all E2s in the Navy Reserve. You may not think its a good deal and that’s fine but it doesn’t change facts.

I think a better point of the article is the need for reforms at MARAD. That will have a greater impact and greater benefit for more mariners and for the industry as a whole than closing KP.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59638]I think a better point of the article is the need for reforms at MARAD.[/QUOTE]

Since nearly half of MARAD’s “operations and training” budget (which by itself is half of MARAD’s entire budget) is funneled to KP, the most effective reform IS to eliminate the needless expense of funding a figurehead institution that no one has been able to justify.

http://www.marad.dot.gov/about_us_landing_page/budget_information/Budget_In_Brief.htm

We can no longer afford to buy baby mates and junior engineers at a half million dollars apiece. We don’t need to train Navy or Marine Corps pre-flight students or Army “garrison engineers” at a taxpayer funded merchant marine academy. The taxpayer shouldn’t have to pay for a safety net for wannabes who couldn’t get into a real military academy.

money doesn’t spend itself. Simply giving MARAD another $86M to spend on other stuff doesn’t mean they will spend it any better.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59645]money doesn’t spend itself. Simply giving MARAD another $86M to spend on other stuff doesn’t mean they will spend it any better.[/QUOTE]

I have presented this math before. If we use a liberal figure of 5000 total “maritime” students at all training schools at any time in this country then if you divide $86M into all those students yields $17,200 per year available to each and every one of them to pay for their tuition. If the “real” mission of KP is to continue to pump little 3rd mates and engineers into a “national security” pool of available merchant mariners to be available in a military emergency, each of those 5000 can certainly be considered as that same national security asset. By this easy math it proves that KP returns a terrible value for the product received for money invested.

In the four years it takes for KP to produce 800 “national security” mariners the remainder of the US maritime training system can produce 20000 for the same cost to the taxpayer! How can the numbers not be any clearer to understand?

I understand your numbers. My point is that I don’t trust that it will make sense to MARAD.

I’m not arguing for or against your point. I’m just saying that it is my belief that relying on MARAD to see it that clearly may be a mistake and that the industry could end up worse off, not better.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59645] Simply giving MARAD another $86M to spend on other stuff doesn’t mean they will spend it any better.[/QUOTE]

Who suggested “simply giving” MARAD anything at all. I suggest that MARAD’s budget be sliced by $86 million since none of that amount provides anything the US Merchant Marine needs to prosper, or even survive.

I see nothing returned to the American taxpayer that [I]"… promote(s) the use of waterborne transportation and its seamless integration with other segments of the transportation system, and the viability of the U.S. merchant marine"[/I] by the expenditure of $86 million on a redundant and irrelevant institution whose only apparent product is feed stock to maintain the load on the HVAC system at MARAD headquarters.

If KP vanished today, few would even know it once existed much less miss its presence. If $86 million was available to real maritime stakeholders many might benefit immediately and long into the future.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;59651]I understand your numbers. My point is that I don’t trust that it will make sense to MARAD.

I’m not arguing for or against your point. I’m just saying that it is my belief that relying on MARAD to see it that clearly may be a mistake and that the industry could end up worse off, not better.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you are open to discussion on this and that you see how MarAd is the root cause of the problem…I agree entirely with you but KP “belongs” to MarAd and you cannot seperate the two. The US Maritime Administration has to have become one of the most ineffective and disfunctional agencies in the federal government and this has obviously infected the USMMA program. If MarAd suddenly became the force behind a healthy and vibrant US maritime industry that we all pray for someday, will that change anything regarding KP? I think a sane and competent MarAd administrator would look at the numbers and say “my God, what on earth are we doing here!?! Let’s wind that place down and divert the funds to more effective use!”

Either way, with or without a truly beneficial Maritime Administration, KP no longer makes economic sense. A healthy MarAd will not suddenly make KP a good value for you, I and all the other citizens who pay to keep the academy in operation.

[QUOTE=c.captain;59592]fair enough…but I have ask why such an old photo and why marching in an inaugural parade? Not very representative of a “maritime” academy imo.

.[/QUOTE]

May I inquire just how you think KP marching in an inaugural parade is not very representative of a maritime academy?

[QUOTE=Steamer;59652]
If KP vanished today, few would even know it once existed much less miss its presence. If $86 million was available to real maritime stakeholders many might benefit immediately and long into the future.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong, Steamer. Kings Point, my Academy, may well vanish but the memory of this wonderful Federal Academy will never be erased. There will always stand the memorial to all the brave Kings Pointers who lost their lives in defense of the United States of America, from World War II up to Afghanistan, and our future battles. This memorial is in place and will forever shine on the Sound of Long Island.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;59796]May I inquire just how you think KP marching in an inaugural parade is not very representative of a maritime academy?[/QUOTE]

May I inquire how marching makes one a better ship’s officer and seafarer?

Yes you may. It’s the same with all disciplines, Police, Fireman, Military, the ability to lock arms. You, c.captain, are most likely my age and perhaps we share similar experiences in our long voyage in time at sea. Have you ever had to lead a team whose mission is put-out a fire aboard ship while at sea?

[QUOTE=Steamer;59598]Absolutely correct! And march they did, just behind the Lesbian and Gay Band Association and before the Get a Life Marching Band.

That alone should silence all those who think KP has outlived its usefulness.[/QUOTE]

Steamer, you’re a hoot! I’d like to meet you at my favorite Saloon here in Western Montana.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;59798]You are wrong, Steamer. Kings Point, my Academy, may well vanish but the memory of this wonderful Federal Academy will never be erased. There will always stand the memorial to all the brave Kings Pointers who lost their lives in defense of the United States of America, from World War II up to Afghanistan, and our future battles. This memorial is in place and will forever shine on the Sound of Long Island.[/QUOTE]

Then you are one of the few, and the only reason you know about it is because you attended. From a statistical point of view, if you totaled the number of people who know or care it would probably not exceed the number of cadets, alumni, teachers, and local contractors and their families. Next time you go into Missoula, stop someone on the street and ask if he or she would miss KP if it vanished tomorrow or believes it would impact the national security, or place the US Merchant Marine at risk by its absence. Be honest about it, don’t give them the missionary spiel first, just ask.

I don’t think for one nanosecond that your sentimentality is worth $86 million of the taxpayer’s cash. Nor do I think that we need KP to train grunts and zoomies. Every single item you mentioned just reinforces the fact that KP contributes nothing to the US Merchant Marine that cannot be more economically supplied by any number of private or State training facilities.Your sole defense of the institution is based on your personal emotional link to a short period of your past.

If there is one consistent theme in this thread it is that not a single KP supporter has provided a single justification for spending $86 million a year to maintain that institution.

[QUOTE=Steamer;59803]Then you are one of the few, and the only reason you know about it is because you attended. From a statistical point of view, if you totaled the number of people who know or care it would probably not exceed the number of cadets, alumni, teachers, and local contractors and their families. Next time you go into Missoula, stop someone on the street and ask if he or she would miss KP if it vanished tomorrow or believes it would impact the national security, or place the US Merchant Marine at risk by its absence. Be honest about it, don’t give them the missionary spiel first, just ask.

I don’t think for one nanosecond that your sentimentality is worth $86 million of the taxpayer’s cash. Nor do I think that we need KP to train grunts and zoomies. Every single item you mentioned just reinforces the fact that KP contributes nothing to the US Merchant Marine that cannot be more economically supplied by any number of private or State training facilities.Your sole defense of the institution is based on your personal emotional link to a short period of your past.

If there is one consistent theme in this thread it is that not a single KP supporter has provided a single justification for spending $86 million a year to maintain that institution.[/QUOTE]

Be honest ye say, shoot, there’s hardly a person in Montana who ever heard the words “Merchant Marine,” and Steamer, I’m an honest man. Should Kings Point close tomorrow will you really feel better about it? Today, as I enter these words, there are folks calling for the closure of all US Federal Academies. The reason, today’s Colleges and Universities produce the same caliber of Officers at half the price, through their ROTC and such programs. “Grunts and Zoomies” … you should be so lucky, Steamer.