King’s Point – Is it a heritage worth saving? You decide

A little clip, answering Bells, SS “Joseph Lykes,” Sweat-n-Greasy was the First at the throttles. Perhaps most can not recall the days when there was “The First” - THAT Engineer ran the Engine Room. The Chief never bothered the First.

Steamer, I see where you are GT qualified, may I ask how and what ship?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;59805]Should Kings Point close tomorrow will you really feel better about it? “Grunts and Zoomies” … you should be so lucky, Steamer.[/QUOTE]

If KP closed tomorrow I would feel much better about how MARAD manages the very limited amount of money available to benefit the US Merchant Marine. If MARAD redirected the savings to training civilian mariners through scholarships, training grants, or by funding the development of training resources, I would be delighted.

What does luck have to do with grunts and zoomies and why would I be “lucky?”

The only argument anyone has been able to put forward for keeping KP is that it produces USMM officers. Well, if the school is not closed and it is going to continue to produce grunts and zoomies, then the funding should be reduced proportionately. It is called a merchant marine academy and that is the only justification anyone can claim for funding it. If 25 percent of the class doesn’t get a license or sail then at least reduce the funding accordingly.

I got my GT by operating and working on GTs for about 5 years. Spent some ROS time on Callahan but never sailed on it. Took the GT course at Calhoon and have CG approval as GT instructor based on operational experience.

Why can’t they keep KP and just charge cadets tuition, those who plan to serve active duty would recieve a tuition reimbursement after graduation while serving. The navy can keep the SIP payments to reserveists. If I’m spending 75,000$ to go to GLMA to get a 3rd mates license on student loans, why can’t Jo shmo who got a congretional nomination to go to KP do the same.

[QUOTE=Steamer;59816]If KP closed tomorrow I would feel much better about how MARAD manages the very limited amount of money available to benefit the US Merchant Marine. If MARAD redirected the savings to training civilian mariners through scholarships, training grants, or by funding the development of training resources, I would be delighted.[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt MARAD is the most dysfunctional outfit in the Federal Government. I also accept your idea of MARAD directing funds to train civilian mariners and the funding the development of training resources.

[QUOTE=Steamer;59816]What does luck have to do with grunts and zoomies and why would I be “lucky?” [/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are the type who can not accept that all Federal Academies have pipelines to produce grunts and zoomies, not just KP.

[QUOTE=Steamer;59816]The only argument anyone has been able to put forward for keeping KP is that it produces USMM officers. Well, if the school is not closed and it is going to continue to produce grunts and zoomies, then the funding should be reduced proportionately. It is called a merchant marine academy and that is the only justification anyone can claim for funding it. If 25 percent of the class doesn’t get a license or sail then at least reduce the funding accordingly.[/QUOTE]

I see

[QUOTE=Steamer;59816]I got my GT by operating and working on GTs for about 5 years. Spent some ROS time on Callahan but never sailed on it. Took the GT course at Calhoon and have CG approval as GT instructor based on operational experience.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought … EXCELLENT work … Well, you do know MARAD.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;59825]Why can’t they keep KP and just charge cadets tuition, those who plan to serve active duty would recieve a tuition reimbursement after graduation while serving. The navy can keep the SIP payments to reserveists. If I’m spending 75,000$ to go to GLMA to get a 3rd mates license on student loans, why can’t Jo shmo who got a congretional nomination to go to KP do the same.[/QUOTE]

jo shmo ~ I know a few shmos ~ a rather large family indeed.
GLMASailor, that’s an excellent idea. Now we may be past the snide and into the red meat ~ naa ~ expect more grumps to post something about KP uniforms looking like Annapolis ~ Say, the US Navy traditions are based upon the Merchant Marine so perhaps Annapolis is the copy cat, eh c.captain?

Now we may be past the snide and into the red meat ~ naa ~ expect more grumps to post something about KP uniforms looking like Annapolis ~ Say, the US Navy traditions are based upon the Merchant Marine so perhaps Annapolis is the copy cat, eh c.captain?

You are certainly correct that there was a US merchant marine well before there ever was a US Navy but sir, there was a USNA long before there was a USMMA and the uniforms are identical as is the ridiculous regiment.

Of course the formal dress blues must have done wonders in making you a seafarer though…do you wear those on watch today? Please tell me how much did the taxpayer spent for those and formal whites and service dress blues and dress whites and on and on and on? How many times did you get new uniforms for FREE that I paid for? Was one every recycled? Heavens NO! How can be ask our fine young men and women to wear someone’s soiled garments? I don’t suppose even textbooks were recycled either? One semester and toss them in the trash I bet. Such a fine way to spend money the federal government has to charge on a credit card with the National Bank of Bejing!

Yes you may. It’s the same with all disciplines, Police, Fireman, Military, the ability to lock arms. You, c.captain, are most likely my age and perhaps we share similar experiences in our long voyage in time at sea. Have you ever had to lead a team whose mission is put-out a fire aboard ship while at sea?

You equate marching in formal reviews with a crew being able to execute fighting fire at sea? I learned how to do that in fire training (which should be mandatory every five years for everybody working at sea) and with holding realistic drills on a real ship? Marching on a parade ground with the KP Band playing Souza favorites trains one to fight fires? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?

You must have been a midshipman officer with such ridiculous ideas …I know, you must have been the commander of the band! Weren’t you? Admit it now! We all want to know! The whole SweatnGrease thing must be just a ruse to make us believe you are a bona fide working mariner. Why else use a username so “over the top” as that?

ps…thanks for the grump jab. I try hard to be the nasty old guy who likes to yell at the punky neighborhood kids around this place…especially if they are KP types all full of themselves and their comic little “military” academy and their stupid toy soldier regiment.

see you in the funny papers

Kings Point…may well vanish but the memory of this wonderful Federal Academy will never be erased. There will always stand the memorial to all the brave Kings Pointers who lost their lives in defense of the United States of America, from World War II up to Afghanistan, and our future battles. This memorial is in place and will forever shine on the Sound of Long Island.

Your gushing and oozing is almost mezmerising sir…bravo to you for bringing a small tear if pride to my eye! That is obviously something that you learned very well during your brainwashing (oops sorry…“indoctrination”)

Btw, 460,000 young Amercian men died during WWII and almost all were of the same age as KP cadets. The fact that a hundred and forty cadets died at sea in the war does NOT make KP special nor KP cadets any MORE brave than any other merchant mariner, sailor, airman or soldier that faced combat in WWII. After WWII, not one KP cadet has died in combat ANYWHERE…period!

and thank you for playing sir…please pick up your lovely consolation prizes at the door…

may we have the next contestant please…

[I]" … why can’t Jo shmo who got a congretional nomination to go to KP do the same.?"[/I]

Because he would have to learn how to spell congressional first.

[I]“Perhaps you are the type who can not accept that all Federal Academies have pipelines to produce grunts and zoomies, not just KP.”[/I]

That is a bit of a stretch, a non sequitur even since we are talking about the product of KP and its relevance in the 21st century.

But, since you brought it up, it is the singlular purpose of the federal military academies to produce little swabbies, grunts and zoomies. They are equipped to perform that job and they seem to do it as well as can be expected.

KP, on the other hand, is sold to the taxpayer as the US Merchant Marine Academy. The US Merchant Marine does not have a job description that includes marching, flying, blowing things up, or even being launched into space.

At a half million dollars apiece, baby mates and engineers walking out of KP make government toilet seats and hammers look like real bargains. The seats and hammers probably stay on the job longer, too.

[QUOTE=Steamer;59838][I]" … why can’t Jo shmo who got a congretional nomination to go to KP do the same.?"[/I]

Because he would have to learn how to spell congressional first.[/QUOTE]

Cut the guy a break Streamer…he is on our side in this battle against stupid sentiment and false pride at accomplishments only in the eyes of the chosen few who I must admit look sooper snappy in their little toy naval officer uniforms.

Sorry, should have put a smiley after the post.

somebody obviously learned a new trick today and is so proud of how good he is at it that he showed us twice

good for you son…now here’s one for you

USMMA Band at Fort Ticonderoga… Saturday

[video=youtube_share;EpXJlarmLO4]http://youtu.be/EpXJlarmLO4[/video]

TICONDEROGA, N.Y. — Fort Ticonderoga will host the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Band, Saturday, Sept. 19, at 11:30 a.m. This renowned group has performed all over the country and the world in venues as diverse as all Presidential Inaugurals Parades, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and on the Queen Elizabeth II entertaining World War II veterans on board at Normandy, France.

Though the cadets in the band change twice a year they sound like a seasoned group with years of experience. They have just issued a CD, “Music of the Marines – United States, Royal and Merchant” and have two more on the way! The Academy opened at Kings Point, N.Y., in 1943 and the band was originally made up of professional musicians from New York City. A full-time director was appointed and a company formed in 1971. The 80-strong band is now under the direction of Captain Kenneth Force, who is adamant about the importance of the cadets seeing Fort Ticonderoga.

“It will be a great history experience for the Midshipmen and I want the Fort to benefit, too,” Force said. The band is scheduled to perform at the Crown Point Celebration later in the day.

After taking an historical tour of the Fort, the band will muster and enter the parade ground en masse in their dress uniforms at 11:30. The repertoire includes popular military songs and patriotic marches, all accompanied by precision marches much like a half-time show.

Come Ester…let’s go watch the young boys and girls play music and parade around…they’re so cute in their uniforms and that drum major is just dreamy to watch strut.

btw, did you notice what shitty marchers KPers are? How ragged their rows and how many are out of step? BLASPHEMY that we spend $86M a year and they march so inneptly! Must be that the marching budget is too small and the facilities are inadequate…let’s get Congress to appropriate another $10M so they can renovate the program with a new parade ground! They’ll certainly march better then and KP will be back to being the “Gem” of all the service Academies!

What a dumptruck load of steaming bullcrap that vast sinkhole is!

Nice screed
Talk about someone full of himself
Yea, I can use “Sweat-n-Grease” you bozo

[QUOTE=c.captain;59853]
btw, did you notice what shitty marchers KPers are? How ragged their rows and how many are out of step? BLASPHEMY that we spend $86M a year and they match so lousy! Must be that the marching budget is too small and the facilities are inadequate…let’s appropriate another $10M so they can renovate the program with a new parade ground!

What a dumptruck load of steaming bullcrap that vast sinkhole is!

.[/QUOTE]

You sir are being an internet troll. How is this thread any different that the last 4 where you were bashing KP? Instead of being an internet superstar why don’t you march down Steamboat Road and put a padlock on the front gate.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;59858]Nice screed
Talk about someone full of himself
Yea, I can use “Sweat-n-Grease” you bozo[/QUOTE]

Oh boo hoo… you’ve hurt my little feelings Was it that I labelled you as the commander of the band? I am sorry it that wounded you…being commander of the band must be a difficult cross to bear through life. You don’t have to admit to it if that is too painful to make public. I imagine that just admitting you are KP is hard enough.

so from one clown to another…answer the question originally put forth here already several times now…
[B]
WHY IS KINGS POINT STILL REQUIRED 65 YEARS AFTER WWII ENDED?[/B]

[B]No sentiment, no tradition, no spin, no Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard (they have their own goddamned Academies)
[/B]
[B]JUST TELL US WHY WE NEED $86MILLION TAX DOLLARS WASTED INTO THAT PIT EVERY YEAR? TO ANSWER SUCH A SIMPLE QUESTION IS EASY FOR A VAUNTED MOST GRANDIOSE KP’ER LIKE YOURSELF. I MEAN AFTER GETTING A $450,000 FREE EDUCATION YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER SUCH A BASIC QUESTION WITH LOGIC AND REASON IN WELL FORMED COHERENT SENTENCES.
[/B]
[B]JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION…SIR

[/B]thank you very much…I am awaiting your reply.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;59860]You sir are being an internet troll.[/QUOTE]

Oh but how I just love to point sharp sticks at over inflated buffoons like yourself and watch you blow up.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;59860]How is this thread any different that the last 4 where you were bashing KP?..[/QUOTE]

It’s not…rather it is a continuation of them and it is a subject with obviously stirs up the annointed like yourself. If you feel strongly about my claims just answer them with clear logic. It’s very simple. KP is WASTE…now prove to others here that it isn’t.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;59860]why don’t you march down Steamboat Road and put a padlock on the front gate.[/QUOTE]

Can I please? Getting to do that would be an honor.

ps…what the hell is up with your username anyway…it doesn’t have anything to do with roids now, would it?

[QUOTE=c.captain;59864]Oh but how I just love to point sharp sticks at over inflated buffoons like yourself and watch you blow up.

It’s not…rather it is a continuation of them and it is a subject with obviously stirs up the annointed like yourself. If you feel strongly about my claims just answer them with clear logic. It’s very simple. KP is WASTE![/QUOTE]

It’s not up to you or I to decide whether to keep open or close the doors to KP. No one owes you an explanation as to why the academy is still around. Trolling on the internet is not going to get you the answers you so desperately seek nor will it shut the doors to the worlds finest Maritime school.
Until then you may as well continue…

[QUOTE=c.captain;59864]Can I please? Getting to do that would be an honor.[/QUOTE]

Knock yourself out…literally.

[QUOTE=c.captain;59864]ps…what the hell is up with your username?[/QUOTE]

I am the son of Paul and Mary Bloodyshitcakes. Is that ok with you?

Really? A bit full of yourself, huh? (Our I guess full of your school in this case.)