New Mariner Seeking Employment and Advice

Hey all!

I am looking to get my foot in the door in the maritime industry. It has been a passion of mine all of my life. I am a US Navy veteran (honorably discharged 2008) who’s currently seeking employment in the maritime industry. I am moving to Jacksonville, FL in a few days and wanted to inquire about any and all possible leads or companies to look into. Or if I can apply wherever since I’ve noticed that there are rotation/swing shifts. Does my location matter when applying? I already have my TWIC and Merchant Mariner’s Credential and am extremely eager to start working however I am aware that getting into this profession takes time especially when you don’t know anyone in the industry. I have experience working on Deck and Hopper barges at the construction company I currently work for now. I’ve applied to Ingram Barge Co, Canal Barge, Carline Co, and Manson Construction but have yet to hear anything promising. I’ve also looked around on the job leads threads here but hardly see anything for entry level positions. I will do whatever it takes in order to get this career moving as I do hold a strong passion for working on the water. I would ultimately love to work on a tug or on a barge. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. I hope I don’t get my head bitten off for writing this post. Thank you in advance!

There’s one thing that I know and that is if you can get ANY job with Manson…jump on it even if it cleaning their toilets or emptying the garbage to start!

Other than that, you nailed it spot on the head…WORK TIRELESSLY TO FIND A JOB. They ain’t gonna come to you!

See, you still have your head but that’s because I am in a good mood today and mellowing in my fermenting years…

good luck!

C.captain…are you feeling ok???

Pack a bag, jump in your car, head to Hwy 1 in south LA. Rinse and repeat.

In the marine construction industry also try Great Lakes Dredge & Dock, Weeks Marine, Cashman, Dutra and Donjon.

Hornblower Marine Services is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual for the position of Deckhand for the St. Johns River Ferry operation.

http://www.hornblowermarine.com/

Kinder Morgan Jacksonville was hiring 2 weeks ago “5642 Dock Worker position”

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;85864]Kinder Morgan Jacksonville was hiring 2 weeks ago “5642 Dock Worker position”[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;85853]Hornblower Marine Services is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual for the position of Deckhand for the St. Johns River Ferry operation.

http://www.hornblowermarine.com/[/QUOTE]

nice…was crawling over jax for half a year for work and now they spring up…oh well i got a unlimited boat now …screw em!