Need Sea Time

I want to work in the maritime industry post military career. I have the military sea time to qualify for 3rd mate unlimited (ocean), however the 90 currency requirements is holding me back. Any idea’s where you can get 90 days of sea time on a compressed schedule. I’m retiring from the Navy in April and the Navy is not going to send me back sea, plus military sea time is counted at a 60% rate. (I have maritime school lined up to finish the STCW requirements)

Thanks for the input.

[QUOTE=Pacswo4u;72153] plus military sea time is counted at a 60% rate.[/QUOTE]
It,s actually counted at 70 percent. 60 percent is considered underway and gets day for day credit. The rest is credited at 1 for 4 for a total of 70 percent.

[QUOTE=Pacswo4u;72153]I want to work in the maritime industry post military career. I have the military sea time to qualify for 3rd mate unlimited (ocean), however the 90 currency requirements is holding me back. Any idea’s where you can get 90 days of sea time on a compressed schedule. I’m retiring from the Navy in April and the Navy is not going to send me back sea, plus military sea time is counted at a 60% rate. (I have maritime school lined up to finish the STCW requirements)

Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE]

Same spot I was in when I retired from uncle’s yacht club. I took the AB unlimited and went to sea as and AB. After I had 90 days recency sweeping, rust busting, toilet cleaning and moving heavy shit from one place to another, I was allowed to sit for my 3rd mate test. Of course this was in the pre-stcw days, but then or now, 90 days is 90 days unless you’re watchstanding on a 2 watch rotation when it’s 60.

There are a lot of OSV companies that will help out Vets. Do some online apps and explain your situation to them. I bet most will take the chance to help you get your documents straight and gain a licensed employee in the process.