Need help with removing "(Domestic Only)" from 3A/E license

I have filled out the CG-719B application and attached copies of credentail and original STCW-95 BST certificate. I plan to sent to a REC in Charleston.

Is this all I have to do or do I have to attach anything else?

I was licensed in 1985 and retested last year and got my license. But because I had not completed the STCW-95 BST, my license says "(Domestic Only) " and I want it to be “all oceans”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

85TJ

not sure with what else you may or may not need to attach, but I herd you can now E-mail your application.
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/industry_notice_e_submission.pdf

You will need to also get STCW. For you, that is most lilely:

Basic Safety Training
Proficiency in Survival Craft, if you are not already Lifeboatman
Advanced Fire Fighting (you were first licensed in '85, the requirement for Advanced Fire Fighting started in '87, so you have not had this before)

Thanks tugboattim and Mr. Cavo. I knew I would get the right kind of help on this forum if I just asked.

Mr Cavo, did I need the basic FF shich was part of STCW-95 BST or should I have substituted advanced?

It is too late now, but I am just curious. And yes my license says “lifeboatman”. Thanks again.

What He meant is the course description and approval criteria changed in '87. A course taken in '95 does not qualify since it was not ‘approved’ to the '87 standards. Nothing you could have/can do about that! A lot of us took this stuff twice in those years By chance HAVE you taken another STCW course since '87? If so, make sure to send in that certificate with the app.

You need BOTH the basic from BST, and advanced.

Advanced fire fighting was not a requirement for a license before the implementation of the STCW 78 in 1987. Anyone who received their first issue of any engineering license, or any deck license for 500 GRT or more after 1987 was required to take it to get that license, so they do not have to take it again to meet STCW95. If you were first licensed with any of these licenses before 1987, you were not required to take it and must show that you have. The course standards have not changed significantly from STCW78 to STCW 95.

Thanks cappy208…I just took the STCW-95 BST in January and thought I was home free. I let my license expire in 1990 and have not done anything since then until 2009. I passed the exam in 2010 and got the 3a/e license.

Mr. Cavo,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I’ll start looking for the advance FF class and get that certificate before I send the application in. One last question: do I send the original certificates or will copies do?

Lastly, I have read many of your responses to people’s questions about training and licensing and you do a great job for us all on this forum. Many thanks and keep it up. I will probably need your help in the future and will point others in this direction. 85TJ

Copies are fine, if you look at the NMC web site you can do everything by email now, including paying online at pay.gov

scan in documents, seatime and send application by email along with electronic receipt

[QUOTE=85TJ;46561]Thanks cappy208…I just took the STCW-95 BST in January and thought I was home free. I let my license expire in 1990 and have not done anything since then until 2009. I passed the exam in 2010 and got the 3a/e license.

Mr. Cavo,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I’ll start looking for the advance FF class and get that certificate before I send the application in. One last question: do I send the original certificates or will copies do?

Lastly, I have read many of your responses to people’s questions about training and licensing and you do a great job for us all on this forum. Many thanks and keep it up. I will probably need your help in the future and will point others in this direction. 85TJ[/QUOTE]

Don’t send originals. Copies are OK, and as already noted, you can scan and e-mail. If you don’t have the advanced FF, you’ll get an “awaiting info” letter that gives you 90 days to resolve the deficiencies.

Thanks Mr. Cavo. Will submit by email with scanned documents. I figure I will getthe advanced FF before I submit. Thanks also, Mr 100-Ton…

Hi Mr. Cavo,
I took advanced fire fighting in March, 2011 and BST in January 2011 and sent it all in electronically to Charleston. They quickly sent it on to NMC. They sent me a letter that says “per 46CFR 11.202 (b), in order to obtain an STCW endorsement…” I need to complete BST…dated in the last 5 years…or sea service. No mention of “Advanced”. So I will mail these two certificates like they are asking, even though I sent electronically already.

They also say that I need “Lifeboatman or Lifeboatman Limited” and “Medical Care Provider”. I was an academy graduate in 1985 and retested and got my licence. It says “Lifeboatman” on it, so I am confused as to why I need to do it again unless that one is good for “Domestic Only” and the refresher is needed for the STCW endorsement.

Can you help clarify?

Thanks,
85TJ

I am about to complete all training which was “Lifeboats” and “Medical Care Provider”. I want to take advantage of checking the “renewal” box when I send the additional documents to NMC. My question is since it has been 1.5 years since the license was issued, will they want a new physical and drug screen?

[QUOTE=85TJ;50983]…My question is since it has been 1.5 years since the license was issued, will they want a new physical and drug screen?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Physical examinations have to be within 12 months and drug screens must be within 6 months. If you are currently sailing, however, your company can write you a letter that states that you have participated in a random drug screening program and haven’t refused to test or tested positive.

Per the checklists on the NMC website, physicals must be within the last 3 years.

This was confirmed by my own experience … I took a physical in December of 08 to renew, and used the same physical to upgrade in April, 2011

Thanks Capt Fran.
Thanks KPEngineer.

I am going to go with the physical is still good, but I need a drug screen or a company letter. The checklist does appear to support this.

Mr. Cavo, does this sound right?

Thanks,

85TJ

So, I submitted everything to the NMC. I sent no physical or drug test letter. I sent a clear letter stating I wanted renewal. I checked the box for renewal and paid the fine…err I mean fee and what I got back was the STCW endorsement sticker and it expires the same date as my license. It does not look like a renewal to me.

So, should I pester them for this or did I get what I was supposed to get.Should I try to get back the renewal fee? By calling the NMC? Any help would be appreciated.

Did they change the expiration date of your credential?

No, they did not issue a new credential. I expected a new credential. They sent stickers with the first one saying that “The Government of the United States certifies that “85TJ” has neen duly qualified in accordance with the provisions of the following regulations III/1; VI/1; VI/3; VI/4…until 13-JAN-2015” which is exactly the same date as the expiration of my license.

Did you renew the license or just the STCW? If you didn’t renew the license that’s why you only got a sticker and they probably can’t issue a sticker with am expiration date later than the credential.

While I checked the renewal box and paid for it and complied with all the requirements (I think) I did not get a renewal. I wanted the new credential good for 5 more years from now. Instead it is all good for 3.5 years. I guess I will try tcalling today. Thanks to all.