NC vs. Oceans

Hello all,
I recently applied to test for 500t masters near coastal. When I got my letter to test, I was approved to test for 500t oceans. My question is this. If I pass all of the modules( including 202XX nav general oceans) except 206XX(celestial) will I receive a near coastal license or will I have to take module 200XX( nav general near coastal)?Thanks for the help

[QUOTE=Capt.Dan;46443]Hello all,
I recently applied to test for 500t masters near coastal. When I got my letter to test, I was approved to test for 500t oceans. My question is this. If I pass all of the modules( including 202XX nav general oceans) except 206XX(celestial) will I receive a near coastal license or will I have to take module 200XX( nav general near coastal)?Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

You will receive the Near Coastal license, but be aware there will be more content in the Nav.Gen to cover the Celestial terminology. If you’re comfortable with that, go for it, and leave it as-is. It might be a pain to get them to change it at this point…maybe not. You can call NMC to see if that can be changed - Nav.general modules - before you test.

Thanks anchorman for the reply

[QUOTE=Capt.Dan;46443]Hello all,
I recently applied to test for 500t masters near coastal. When I got my letter to test, I was approved to test for 500t oceans. My question is this. If I pass all of the modules( including 202XX nav general oceans) except 206XX(celestial) will I receive a near coastal license or will I have to take module 200XX( nav general near coastal)?Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

According to the exam room person at the REC where I tested, if you apply for Master 500 T Oceans, you have to pass all modules, or you have to start over. According to this examiner, the USCG will not issue an NC license if you pass everything except Mod 206 (Celestial). Based on that conversation, I changed my application from Oceans to NC.

The USCG is known to put a lot of upper level questions (2nd Mate) questions in the Master 500 T Oceans celestial test. If you go after this mod, you better know all the Great Circle formulas, mid lat sailing, mercator sailing, etc. According to 46 CFR 11.910, they should not show up in a 500 T level test, but they do.

Here’s a link to the table: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11&idno=46#46:1.0.1.2.11.9.7.3

And good luck with any protest about the questions.

Best (and safest) way to go is to do NC first, then go after the Oceans endorsement once you have your new license.

You may gotten a bum approval. The plan was (up to about six months ago) to phase out all near coastal (over 100 ton) licenses by the end of 2011. First it was 2010, then 2011, now its later to be determined! Something to do with STCW, and international acceptance of our license system.

But I thought ( I could be wrong though) the plan has been delayed. It is possible you got an ‘over zealous’ evaluator who sort of over looked the difference.

Or your sea service letter may have said, Oceans, and they assumed that is what you wanted.

You should call the NMC to ask directly. Once the approval goes to the REC for you to take your exam the local REC is powerless to change the test given. The decision to test is at NMC. The REC’s are simply following direction from West Va.

You do realize the only difference between 500 and 1600 is sea time? You will be taking the exact same exam. Why not go for the 1600?

Finally tested for the 500 Oceans and sucess is great. So glad to be finished studying. Passed Celestial on the first go around, but had to take Terrestrial and Deck Safety twice. As far as re-taking all exam modules, I only had to re-take the two I failed. Take the Celestial. Go for it. If I passed it, anyone can do it!

Water is right though, I had 3 different types of the sailing problems. Mid lat, Mercator, etc. Missed those, but got all of the other Celestial stuff. 15 problems, only need an 80. Just need to know Star ID, LAN, Sunset, 3 Star fix, running fix with LAN, etc. Even had an ETA problem. Study hard and you’ll do great.

Congratulations, Swampfox.! It has to feel good!

I’ve been approved to test for my oceans endorsement, and hope to knock it off later this month. Two mods, 206XX Celestial (15 questions, 80% to pass) and 207XX Nav Gen Oceans(25 questions, 70% to pass). Now I just have to figure out to study for in 207XX.

Thanks Water.

For the 207xx module, it might help you to study some coastal nav. aspects. Keep in mind where and when you would use pilot charts, sailing directions, etc. Some weather and ocean current topics, but nothing that you cant find in Bowditch.

[QUOTE=water;48353]

I’ve been approved to test for my oceans endorsement, and hope to knock it off later this month. Two mods, 206XX Celestial (15 questions, 80% to pass) and 207XX Nav Gen Oceans(25 questions, 70% to pass). Now I just have to figure out to study for in 207XX.[/QUOTE]

On this subject. I tested and passed my 3rd mates N/C in February of this year. Someone told me if I apply and test within 6 months all I need to take the celestial exam and no more to get my Oceans endorsement. Is this true?

[QUOTE=Oldsalt206;51466]On this subject. I tested and passed my 3rd mates N/C in February of this year. Someone told me if I apply and test within 6 months all I need to take the celestial exam and no more to get my Oceans endorsement. Is this true?[/QUOTE]

You will have to take a general exam, but not the rules of the road. Check the deck guide on NMC’s website…it’s in there.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;48352]Finally tested for the 500 Oceans and sucess is great. So glad to be finished studying. Passed Celestial on the first go around, but had to take Terrestrial and Deck Safety twice. As far as re-taking all exam modules, I only had to re-take the two I failed. Take the Celestial. Go for it. If I passed it, anyone can do it!

Water is right though, I had 3 different types of the sailing problems. Mid lat, Mercator, etc. Missed those, but got all of the other Celestial stuff. 15 problems, only need an 80. Just need to know Star ID, LAN, Sunset, 3 Star fix, running fix with LAN, etc. Even had an ETA problem. Study hard and you’ll do great.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations swampfox…well done…

Some weather and ocean current topics, but nothing that you cant find in Bowditch.