Moderators

Thanks mikey the intent of my thread was to ask the question is it productive calling people out for poor spelling and grammar? You should see some of the crap we get from the office, but I don’t send email replays correcting their mistakes. that’s unproductive and just plain rude. As for the we are tough mariners act, that’s a lode of shit! The last time I told someone to fuck off they called the office crying like a little girl. Apparently the internet is the last place some folks feel they can vent and that’s fine. Do you think people want to post job threads if they only get torn apart maybe someone could have got a job. I see this all the time a valid question turns into a pick apart the grammar contest and goes to shit. Thats not going to up your member count, but if it’s a good old boy club you want go for it! fuck off in advance c.capt and your little circle jerk club give someone else a shot you have no fucking clue who I am or how long I may have been lurking here and why does it make fuck all difference?

He was just getting practice on his fucking off skills…isn’t that what you do as a DPO?

Since you keep bringing this up, sit up at the table and pay attention.

Firstly you are doing your company a disservice NOT pointing out those mistakes. Do you know how the SIRE inspectors key on stupid stuff like that. How professional does your office look when they put out crap on official forms, letterhead or emails.?

Knowing now, after that thread played out that the guy was either wanting to apply or had already applied and taken courses ( still not sure due to incomplete grammar, sentence structure, diction etc etc) for a 1600 ton license it is COMPLETELY APPROPRIATE to try to let someone know that what, how and the manner of their communication that is causing problems.

This was illuminated by the second to last post. Someone commented that if the info on the 17th post had been made on the FIRST post most of the thread would have been non existant. Did you actually take time to read the OP? Could you in ANY way make heads or tails out of that?

To make the connection, a 100 ton license is one thing. But do you really think it is going to fly in the big leagues when communication skills, and the ability to reason like that are commanding a 250’ to 1000’ tow or OSV coming at you? I do believe there is relevance, appropriateness and a responsibility to point out these issues. The ADA does NOT apply. I know of several guys who spoked/writ liek that hu never gotten a job steerin cus a thet.

This dumbing down and don’t offend anyone lest we embarrass them is going overboard. You may have noticed the CG is upping the level of competence and verifiability of applicants. They are NOT lowering standards (unless pushed by corporate AKA the 30 day wonder thing)

I completely agree it’s appropriate in some circumstances if the poster is incoherent but forum form wtf. I have know idea which thread you are quoting and have no intent of finding it.

Sense you bring it up the thread that keeps coming to mind a spelling wiz corrected a job posting from a company’s help wanted post not very classy in my opinion. It’s the Internet though and easy to hide behind the keyboard.

I am at the table and paying attention thank you very little.

Not very classy? A company is advertising and cant even do a proof read? Boy, sign me up for some of that professional atmosphere. People who throw stones… If you are going to come on a FREE public forum and start criticizing… Well, you better bring your A game. That hasn’t happened yet ( IMHO)

In all these posts three things come into play. Content. Clarity. Continuity. If one is lacking shame on them. If two or more are out, then why post? Yeah, I could say, don’t respond to it. It’s not like this costs anyone anything. (Except GCaptain for the website. But they make up for that in ads I hope.!)

[QUOTE=SafetyFirst;77249]I completely agree it’s appropriate in some circumstances if the poster is incoherent but forum form wtf. I have know idea which thread you are quoting and have no intent of finding it.

Sense you bring it up the thread that keeps coming to mind a spelling wiz corrected a job posting from a company’s help wanted post not very classy in my opinion. It’s the Internet though and easy to hide behind the keyboard.

I am at the table and paying attention thank you very little.[/QUOTE]

SafetyFirst, allow me to help you.

Know - to perceive or understand as fact or truth; to apprehend clearly and with certainty: I know the situation fully.

No - a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request

Example:

I do not know when and where to use the words know and no in a sentence. It makes no sense to try and teach me since I can’t learn anyway.

Also a period is sometimes used to separate two complete sentences( ) Sometimes depending upon ones choice of prose.

First, let me say good morning to all. (is that civil enough for you SF)

Second, a person with any real education can spell “forum” and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and say that I believe you can spell it correctly but made some kind of Freudian slip by misspelling the word three times like you did yet a point to make is that it is easy to proofread and to edit to make corrections to both spelling and grammar. I do both all the time. The appearance of your very first post to the forum is a person who is too lazy to do either. If you still feel that you having that pointed out to you is somehow disrespecting you then you are too thin skinned to be here. You should simply apologize make the corrections and move on, but you chose that as your battleground and still want to fight us over it. It is not the spelling issue at all that made me jump on you like I did but the attitude you presenting in your very first post here. Do you understand this?

Third, you complain about us switching topics but if you complain about us then we get to complain about you which we did with gusto because you are a cadet here based on being a very new guy. On a ship, cadets who complain about their shipmates to their shipmates get a lot of pointy sticks thrust at them. Good cadets are quiet cadets. Again, you are either too new to this industry or too daft or both. Every thread here takes its own natural path like a river and we who’ve been on this ship now for years like it that way and we don’t need you “the cadet” going to the office and saying they need to step in to change things by appointing some “moderator”. A cadet has no standing in the crew and has to earn their respect and to be accepted by them. It seems to bother you that I have a high standing in this forum and are complaining of that in your post above…well son, I do because I have been a steady contributor who’s posts are (mostly) appreciated. Earning standing in a group is part of the nature order of the world and it is no different here. My standing comes not from me, but from the others here. They have granted me that. You haven’t done that yet and appear to not be trying. Do you understand this?

Fourth, you are failing to answer my question about the “in less than one watch”…what did you mean by that? It’s a fair question because you wrote it and I saw it. This is public so if you post it…you own it. Please answer for us all…

Fifth: nice avatar. Did your mommy make that costume for you?

[QUOTE=SafetyFirst;77249

.[/QUOTE]

Since- After, from then until now.

Sense- any faculty of recieving impressions trough bodily organs, sight, touch, taste, smell, or hearing.

Classic example, I have no sense to know when to use the word since.

[QUOTE=“ChiefRob”][/QUOTE]

Tanks for making scents off thayat fur us. I’m sure all y’all preciate it.

Note I was inclusive and included all of y’all. I didn’t leave any part of the group out.

In a sense, since the advent of spell check for computers, more and more we see this phenomenon where a word is no longer misspelled. The result is that phonically similar words are transposed or misused all the time. The nimrod doing the typing hits the spell check button and thinks all is well with the world. Quite sad.

I guess you haven’t worked the GOM I find instances of poor grammar and spelling in ism related correspondence frequently. It hasn’t detracted from my company’s success. (my being employer)

I haven’t criticized anyone and wasn’t aware this was a game so no need for an A game.

GCaptain isn’t going to sell much worthwhile advertisement space without good member numbers (members online & gusts) I sure as hell wouldn’t pay good money to a forum with a few members and little growth potential.

There will always be good member numbers here because there is a wealth of information and experience for someone who needs it. Don’t feel bad because fools are not suffered lightly.

[QUOTE=SafetyFirst;77266]I guess you haven’t worked the GOM I find instances of poor grammar and spelling in ism related correspondence frequently. It hasn’t detracted from my company’s success. (my being employer)

I haven’t criticized anyone and wasn’t aware this was a game so no need for an A game.

GCaptain isn’t going to sell much worthwhile advertisement space without good member numbers (members online & gusts) I sure as hell wouldn’t pay good money to a forum with a few members and little growth potential.[/QUOTE]

You are just not getting it…are you?

You continue to lecture us and still wondering why you are continuing to get this load from us here?

You also continue to not proofread your posts (gusts?) Just because you experience others displaying poor spelling or grammar does not make it ok for you to do so. Poor writing is lazy writing. Stop this minute hiding behind this one. It is your bad attitude which gotten you into a heap of dogshit here.

And you are not answering my question which is showing me you are a coward who refuses to face the music and you are wondering why we don’t respect you!

I for one, am not going to let up to protect your sensitivity. You’re in a tough industrial profession made up of tough men…get with it or die! I personally hope you continue to choose death since I see someone who needs to be taken down about ten notches to be taught a good lesson. I like teaching hard lessons to punk third mates which I suspect is what you are. It’s my nature and you can kiss my ass if that “offends” you!

Why yes I have thank you very much. 7 years in the cross gulf petroleum trade was during my formative years. Your post reveals more than you know. And the last little tidbit says a lot.

And that is a metaphor. This is no game, but some don’t even realize it. You roundly criticised each and every one of the contributors but deny it now.

GCaptain isn’t going to sell much worthwhile advertisement space with a few members and little growth potential.

HUH? look down at the bottom of the opening forum page. There are literally hundreds of seamen from all over the world who read this each day. Sometimes it reaches into a thousand. The majority of us make purchase, buy, or fail throw away decisions each trip. Who do you think is a bigger audience?

Oh, I get it now. It was YOUR ad that was taken to task. Why didn’t you say so! Typical. Bluster, spit and fume. Then don’t bothet tell the whole story. Now I’m going to have to look up that ad.

Nice you put the shame to me now I’m going to find a dark corner of the ship and cry. Did your mommy beat you for poor spelling you seam to have issues.

Complain?? When is a question-observation become a complaint it was merely an observation.

In less than one watch (not a timex) you and your civil friends tried to run me off the forum (form for you c.boy)

Really my avatar how old are you I bet you put your little cappy costume every day.

[QUOTE=SafetyFirst;77266]I guess you haven’t worked the GOM I find instances of poor grammar and spelling in ism related correspondence frequently.l.[/QUOTE]

Blowing something off, when you know it is not correct, by simply saying “oh well that is the way we have all ways done it” does not make it right, that just means that you have always been wrong.

I don’t think I would want to work for a company that continually screws up ISM paper work and corespondense. I can see an email explaing I didn’t really mean to say I PP on you I meant IOPP.

Beside if you are not continually trying to improve yourself and move forward with a continuing education you will be stuck right where you are forever. In smallville.

You are picking death afterall…good!

Let’s do the numbers shall we?

you:

SafetyFirst
gCaptain Greenhorn

Thanks

me:

c.captain
Top Contributor

Thanks
Thanked 422 Times in 276 Posts (btw, these have been given to me by others here…I don’t give them to myself)

Now, you’re going to say that I am throwing my numbers at you and you’re right…I am. The thing is that those numbers are EARNED numbers! You on the other hand, have EARNED NOTHING here! Tell us, do you honestly think you can win your little pissy contest here? If you do, then bring it on! You obviously are a greenhorn who doesn’t know me AT ALL.

Mikey- These threads always get off topic…

I tried searching for a thread from back in '09, couldn’t find it.

It was a kind of pet peeve/ground rules discussion.

The consensus was that John had to get spell check installed on the site.
That as Professional Mariners, we didn’t want this forum to adopt or accept standards that allowed poor grammar and spelling.
This was agreed to by the founding members.

For the most part it works well.
Will someone get banned for failure? No, but you will, and should, get called on it.
It was a point that most of us felt was important.

Attension to detail and clarety of comunikation are skills that need to be constantly improoved.
lacked of this basik skill detrakts from the topik undr disscussin.

See my point?