MMC Upgrade and Medical Form

I thought Ive read some where that as long as you have submitted a 719k in the past 3 years it was good for an upgrade(AB-Special to Unlimited). I cant seem to find it besides on a pdf it says… “Be sure that your medical practitioner completes all parts of the form, including signature, and that it is dated within 12 months of your application. NOTE: Raise of grade transactions are 36 months.” Does that mean the 3 years thing is good? When I spoke with NMC the woman couldnt answer the question

I’m pretty sure for a RIG the physical needs to be within 12 months and a UA within the past 6 months.

I know, the whole thing is confusing…

I spoke again with the NMC and it is 12 months. I have no idea what the 36 months thing is.

They are probably just going off the AB checklist (which may misleading).

Because there is 46 CFR 10.231:
§10.231 Requirements for raises of grade or new endorsements.

(a) This section applies to applicants who already hold a valid credential and want to make the following transaction(s):
(1) Add a new endorsement; or
(2) Raise of grade of an existing endorsement.

© A complete application for a new endorsement or raise of grade must contain the following:

(6) Applicants for the following endorsements must produce evidence of having passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs or of qualifying for an exemption from testing in §16.220 of this subchapter:
(i) Any officer endorsement; and
(ii) The [B]first[/B] endorsement as able seaman, lifeboatman, qualified member of the engine department, or tankerman.

(8) Applicants who have not submitted evidence within the past [B]three years[/B] that they have passed all applicable vision, hearing, medical, and/or physical exams required in §10.215 for the particular endorsement sought must submit proof, on a Coast Guard-approved form, that the applicant has passed those medical/physical tests and exams;

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=46:1.0.1.2.10#46:1.0.1.2.10.2.7.17

Oddly, according the CFR subpart heading this applies to all MMCs, however, it’s only referenced on the NMC’s deck officers’ checklists (where it even notes “RIG 3yr”) and not the ABs…

It also states the 3 years thing on the renewal check list

[QUOTE=kfj;131679]I thought Ive read some where that as long as you have submitted a 719k in the past 3 years it was good for an upgrade(AB-Special to Unlimited). I cant seem to find it besides on a pdf it says… “Be sure that your medical practitioner completes all parts of the form, including signature, and that it is dated within 12 months of your application. NOTE: Raise of grade transactions are 36 months.” Does that mean the 3 years thing is good? When I spoke with NMC the woman couldnt answer the question[/QUOTE]

It’s good for ONE year.

Three years for raise in grade. One year for original