MMA Graduate, seeking to re-enter Maritime Industry after 20 years licensing question

I graduated from MMA in 1987 with a 3rd mate, unlimited license and an AB ticket. I couldn’t get a job in 1987-1989, so I entered another industry (real estate investment). I am now seriously interested in getting back into the industry that I have passion for. I should have my TWIC shortly, just waiting. Does anyone out there know what I need to do to:

1. Get my AB ticket back, renewed and ready to sail;
  2. Get my 3rd license back;
  3. Get a job as an AB and then work toward getting my 3rd’s back.

I appeciate any comments, advice, links, or information that will help me get back on a boat. Thanks!

Christopher Peznola, MMA '87

Did you renew your license for continuity? Hopefully you did, or you’ll be stuck from ground zero, and retesting, and having to get sea time all over again.

Good luck with that.

[QUOTE=cpeznola;30462]I graduated from MMA in 1987 with a 3rd mate, unlimited license and an AB ticket. I couldn’t get a job in 1987-1989, so I entered another industry (real estate investment). I am now seriously interested in getting back into the industry that I have passion for. I should have my TWIC shortly, just waiting. Does anyone out there know what I need to do to:

1. Get my AB ticket back, renewed and ready to sail;
  2. Get my 3rd license back;
  3. Get a job as an AB and then work toward getting my 3rd’s back.

I appeciate any comments, advice, links, or information that will help me get back on a boat. Thanks!

Christopher Peznola, MMA '87[/QUOTE]

Did you let your license expire? If so it’s going to be a lot tougher. If you reply back with the status of your license, I can give a more detailed answer.

I haven’t sailed in 5 years, I had to run through a bunch of hoops, but I was just approved for testing last friday. If it is somthing you really want to do, call the NMC, tell them everything about your situation and find out what needs to be done.