Missing STCW 95 on 100 ton Captain Renewal

I have just received my renewal for my hundred ton. Along with it they added A.B. Unlimited , Radar Unlimited, Lifeboatsman etc… However the STCW 95 was not included on this one even though I had it on my last license. I thought since I was working as a full time captain for the previous 5 years and longer I would not have to take the STCW course again. Thought it would just be put on the new one. Anyone know about rules for this? Thanks for any info!

What “STCW Course” are you referring to? There are many.

It was STCW 95. That’s what was printed om my last MMC. Now it lists all my other endorsements but not STCW 95. I did have it on the application renewal. I think the CG messed up cause it should just roll over to my new MMC. At least that’s what I was told. ???

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;154105]It was STCW 95. That’s what was printed om my last MMC. Now it lists all my other endorsements but not STCW 95. I did have it on the application renewal. I think the CG messed up cause it should just roll over to my new MMC. At least that’s what I was told. ???[/QUOTE]

You had at least one year of sea time on near coastal or oceans?

Yes , I have over 2000 days near coastal since I acquired the STCW 95.

My license does not have STCW-95 on mine either, I do have the codes III/2, III/4, VI/1, VI/2, VI/3, VI/4 and VI/6, these are my engineers license and STCW

If by STCW 95, you mean BT (formerly BST), that course must be repeated or “refreashed” with course every five years.

As far as I know BT, Advanced Firefighting, and Med-PIC are the STCW courses that must be repeated or renewed every five years.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;154102]What “STCW Course” are you referring to? There are many.[/QUOTE]

Basic Safety. Prior to the recent STCW rulemaking and the creation of the MMC, anyone holding a license for less than 200 GRT who took BST would have “the holder meets STCW for near coastal domestic voyages without further obligation” printed on the back of their license. They were not given separate STCW certificates. There was no other training or assessment requirted, just BST.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;154105]It was STCW 95. That’s what was printed om my last MMC. Now it lists all my other endorsements but not STCW 95. I did have it on the application renewal. I think the CG messed up cause it should just roll over to my new MMC. At least that’s what I was told. ???[/QUOTE]

STCW 95 is the international convention that the endorsements are issued under, it is not an endorsement itself.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;154098]I have just received my renewal for my hundred ton. Along with it they added A.B. Unlimited , Radar Unlimited, Lifeboatsman etc… However the STCW 95 was not included on this one even though I had it on my last license. I thought since I was working as a full time captain for the previous 5 years and longer I would not have to take the STCW course again. Thought it would just be put on the new one. Anyone know about rules for this? Thanks for any info![/QUOTE]

It was not an error. The language you referred to is no longer needed as the recent rulemaking added specific provisions exempting certain vessels under 200 GRT from STCW, see 46 CFR 11.301(i). Also, the rule added requirements for STCW endorsements for vessels less than 500 GT (200 GRT), see 46 CFR 11.317, 11.319, and 11.321. The requirements are significantly more comprehensive than just taking Basic Safety Training.

Also, STCW 95 has been superseded. It regers to the 1995 amendments to STCW. The STCW has been amended several times since, most notably substantial cghnages in 2010 that began to be implemented in 2012 and will be in full effect on January 1, 2017.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=chefedemaquina;154112]My license does not have STCW-95 on mine either, I do have the codes III/2, III/4, VI/1, VI/2, VI/3, VI/4 and VI/6, these are my engineers license and STCW[/QUOTE]

Those are STCW. You probablty have a page in your MMC with “International Capacities.” That’s STCW. It doesn’t say “STCW 95” as that is no longer the correct terminology. It’s either just “STCW”, or the [I]International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, as amended[/I].

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=tugsailor;154113]…As far as I know BT, Advanced Firefighting, and Med-PIC are the STCW courses that must be repeated or renewed every five years.[/QUOTE]

Meidcal-PIC does not need to be renewed, not before or after the new rules take full effect. Advanced Firefighting, Proficiency in Survival Craft and Fast Rescue Boats do not have to be renewed at present, but will be the first time you renew after December 31, 2016. At that time, all mariners will have to also renew BT, even if they have one year of sea time in the parevious five years.