Military sealift command

I just got a call from them, they offered me a job and I took it. A few question…I have done a lot of research about them, and yes I know you are at sea for ever, leave is hard to get, some people are on power trips I know all the bad stuff, I just wanna ask some question for some people who have worked on the boats, and what life on board is like.

1. Medical review, Is it a regular DOT coast guard physical? or is it really in depth? I am worried about I am prescribed Zanex. I don’t take it on a regular basis, i can go with out it, but am just worried about them seeing I have taken it in the past.

2. TV and internet, do they have TV? As far as internet can you bring a laptop? if not and they have computers can you just do email or can you surf the net also?

3. Pension? how does this system work if I end up there for a while what percent do you get?

4. Benefits, any good?

5. Pay for supply utility? 35-45K

6. living quarters, I heard you get paid extra if you do open bunking? if so how many people to a room…or what are general sleeping quarters like? and do you get an option?

7. Since you are gone for 6 months min what do you pack and what don’t you pack cause after all out on the high seas there is no Walmart

Anything else you can add about life on board will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I did my commercial cruise with them. Don’t know all the answers but here’s what I got:

1. TV: All of the ships get AFN (armed forces network) at a bare min. I’ve heard of some with dish TV also, and then mine had movies on the ship network at night. You had to get your comp cleansed to hook it up to the ships network, and since they had four or five comps in various lounges I never bothered hooking up my laptop. However, my laptop was good to have just because of the amount different movie and tv show files going around.

2. If you’re in open berthing you get a bonus, don’t know how much.

3. Bring stuff to keep you entertained at night, whether that’s movies or crossword puzzles. They should provide you with coveralls on the ship, they’ll also provide you with bates work boots if you want but I just brought my own (more comfortable) pair. Flashlight and knife are a must. For me and my limited sea time experience it’s been the small things that make all the difference. Remember that a lot of times you’ll be coming into navy bases on a regular basis which means you’ll be around the exchange in port so keep a list of what you want. If you get on a ship that’s going to be in the same port for awhile most bases will have car auctions that you can get a decent rust bucket for cheap so you can have a car for a couple months then sell it back at the auction. Much cheaper then renting a car everytime, wish I had known that the three months I spent in Pearl Harbor. There’s a couple good threads on here with what to pack so type that into the search bar.

It’s been a few years since I was with MSC but:

1. Medical is tougher than USCG physical, I recall spending a full day at the Navy clinic, and that was without any problematic issues.

2. Pension is FERS, Federal Employee Retirement System. There are plenty of details on the internet.

3. The benefits are standard civil service benefits. Which probably just about the best you’ll find anywhere.

4. Living quarters will depend the type of ship you are assigned to.

Supply Utility $23,688.00 per year, ($14.85-$22.00 per/Hr OT depending on the type of ship, you’ll probably get a couple hours eveyday).

The Physical is full-blown…that Xanax issue sounds like a show-stopper to me, but I’m guessing. Anyone else have a personal story??

Internet is available, often slow and no 2-way comms allowed, ie: IM’s, Chatrooms, etc. Take your laptop for sure, for many reasons.

Hopefully, your AB(Sp) will allow you to transfer to deck department and move up so you wont be in the scullery or making beds for too long.
Good luck!!

Jeff- congrats on the Job:)

I almost took a supply position with them- maybe I should have? I’ve heard it’s hard to get over to deck-at least for a year or two- which is why I passed. Hopefully they’ll have OS openings soon:)

You might want to check here- http://www.jobvent.com/military-sealift-command-job-reviews-C3088?searchType=company&searchText=sealift

Lots of posts by MSC-ers. Make sure to click on the comments under each post on there…

As far as pay- ammo ships and special mission ships seem to be where it’s at. The MSC guys and gals I’ve spoken to tell me if you volunteer for overtime constantly- and are on the right ship- you can double or triple your base salary.

You also get pay for staying on longer- and if you join the security detail, handle ammo, or are the surface rescue swimmer.

Again- congrats!:slight_smile:

Please keep us informed on your thoughts of NEO (New Employee Orientation) and ship life with MSC.

Smooth sailing-Anthony

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;24136]I just got a call from them, they offered me a job and I took it. A few question…I have done a lot of research about them, and yes I know you are at sea for ever, leave is hard to get, some people are on power trips I know all the bad stuff, I just wanna ask some question for some people who have worked on the boats, and what life on board is like.

1. Medical review, Is it a regular DOT coast guard physical? or is it really in depth? I am worried about I am prescribed Zanex. I don’t take it on a regular basis, i can go with out it, but am just worried about them seeing I have taken it in the past.[/QUOTE]

Its just the USCG physical standards. You will need to show up with a 6 month supply of any medications you are currently taking or you will be sent home.You will be getting a phone call soon to schedule your physical and drug test. The job offer is conditional on passing these (along with security clearance.), there is also a test your first day of orientation that must be passed.

1. TV and internet, do they have TV? As far as internet can you bring a laptop? if not and they have computers can you just do email or can you surf the net also?

AFN (America Forces Network) on all the ships. You will also get an account you can use for email, however many sites are filtered out so you will not be able to use you webmail, blog, myspace, facebook, etc. You can also go to the MWR in port and get wireless access that isn’t filtered.

1. Pension? how does this system work if I end up there for a while what percent do you get?

US Government pension plan, it is real nice.

1. Benefits, any good?

Very.

1. Pay for supply utility? 35-45K

Base pay is around 22k but with overtime, hazard pay, etc you should make 50k-60k/year.

1. living quarters, I heard you get paid extra if you do open bunking? if so how many people to a room…or what are general sleeping quarters like? and do you get an option?

There’s only a few ships left with open berthing, if you are on one you get an extra $1000/month. Don’t expect to get stuck on one. You will most likely be in a state room with 1-3 others.

1. Since you are gone for 6 months min what do you pack and what don’t you pack cause after all out on the high seas there is no Walmart

There is a store on every ship, you will also make port calls where you can go to the NEX. Just keep personal hygiene items you will need.

Anything else you can add about life on board will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

[QUOTE=Ordinaryseaman;24263]Jeff- congrats on the Job:)

I almost took a supply position with them- maybe I should have? I’ve heard it’s hard to get over to deck-at least for a year or two- which is why I passed. Hopefully they’ll have OS openings soon:)[/QUOTE]

They only way I know of to get to OS as a new hire is to start as an SU or get in on the OS-AB program. And you can cross deck from supply to deck in 6 months if you really want to.

[QUOTE=Ordinaryseaman;24263]…the surface rescue swimmer…[/QUOTE]

I think its awesome that its possible for Civmars to get that qualification. I read an article somewhere about Civmars and their experience going through the course, those guys in their particular class were determined to have a 100% graduation rate for the MSC guys attending, and they did.

MSC called and offered me the Supply Utility job the other day as well. I wasn’t sure what the job was and had to get the app in by the end of the day so I rushed it in without knowing much about it.

Are they making you start on the east coast?

I passed on the job but I’m an AB, it sounds like a great ground floor opportunity for you though. Best of Luck.

Really? How recently?

[QUOTE=Navy SWO;24294]MSC called and offered me the Supply Utility job the other day as well. I wasn’t sure what the job was and had to get the app in by the end of the day so I rushed it in without knowing much about it.

Are they making you start on the east coast?

I passed on the job but I’m an AB, it sounds like a great ground floor opportunity for you though. Best of Luck.[/QUOTE]

Yes you start on the east coast. The nice thing though is once you get hired you can apply for an west coast transfer and you can apply for a promotion to AB which you will probably get before long since they are in demand. You can check whats available while you’re at NEO.

ETA: Here’s the URL, remember that the listing on here on only available after you’ve been hired.

http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/promotions/opportunities.htm

J Day- thanks for all the useful info- and the link:)

Anthony

In my experiences, the MSC physical is NOT similar to even the new standard USCG physical. The MSC physical is much more through (all orifices):eek:.

As for Xanax, here’s what the USCG physical instruction has about it: [U]
“Benzodiazepines[/U]: Waiver is required if used during, or within 7 days prior to, acting under the authority of the credential.” [SIZE=2]I suspect MSC isn’t going to be fond of it’s use either.
[/SIZE]

[quote=Jeffrox;24322]In my experiences, the MSC physical is NOT similar to even the new standard USCG physical. The MSC physical is much more through (all orifices):eek:.

As for Xanax, here’s what the USCG physical instruction has about it:
[U]“Benzodiazepines[/U]: Waiver is required if used during, or within 7 days prior to, acting under the authority of the credential.” [SIZE=2]I suspect MSC isn’t going to be fond of it’s use either.
[/SIZE][/quote] I am hoping this work out cause I don’t take it for anxiety, I take it every now an then or social situations like a date, because I have a small nervous tic (eye blinking) when I get nervous, maybe I should be getting a note from my doctor. Ill also tell the medical evaluators that I don’t take it on a regular basis and I don’t have to take it I can go without it.

As far as pensions go I heard you get 1% for every year you work, so if you work 25 years and retire you only get 25% or your check…seems kinda low?

Thanks for all your replies guys!!! Keep you experience and knowledge coming !!!

quote; AFN (America Forces Network) on all the ships.
when i was in the military stationed in Japan, the AFN was called FEN (Far East Network). We ended up calling it the “forced entertainment network”:D, and MWR normally stands for (morale, welfare, & recreation). Service members affectionately started calling it (more was to rip you off). :smiley:

JDay, is that an internal link. Never stumbled across that before. Is that for after your accepted and at NEO? And, if you do your job, guesstimate on how long before actually getting promoted? Thanks for posting it.

Can anyone elaborate what the physical was like? Do they make you sign over your medical records, cause for anyone to look at them you must give consent, also do they do a dental exam cause I am missing 2 back teeth?

They called me last Thursday.

[quote=JDay;24301]Yes you start on the east coast. The nice thing though is once you get hired you can apply for an west coast transfer and you can apply for a promotion to AB which you will probably get before long since they are in demand. You can check whats available while you’re at NEO.

ETA: Here’s the URL, remember that the listing on here on only available after you’ve been hired.

From what I’ve been told you need one year and four reviews in the job you hire in at before you can apply to change jobs. Also need one year minimum on the east coast before you can apply to transfer to the west coast. Then you should get the transfer shortly thereafter but I heard some people even though they are working out of the west coast aren’t permanent evn after 3 years.

Caveat, this is info I heard so I don’t claim it to be 100% accurate.

Navy SWO<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

From what I’ve been told you need one year and four reviews in the job you hire in at before you can apply to change jobs. Also need one year minimum on the east coast before you can apply to transfer to the west coast. Then you should get the transfer shortly thereafter but I heard some people even though they are working out of the west coast aren’t permanent even after 3 years.

Caveat, this is info I heard so I don’t claim it to be 100% accurate. :o
<O:p</O:p